In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whats your current "pellet plans" for this year?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Lousyweather, Apr 6, 2020.

?

Knowing what we know TODAY, what are you going to do for pellets this year?

1. Ima ride this out and see what happens later in the summer!

2. Im worried about supply. I am going to stock up early, even if the price isnt what I want it to be!

3. Looks like I am not going to bother, given the price, and will burn oil/gas this coming winter!

4. The ole paycheck looks bad, I am not buying due to lack of funds.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bogieb

bogieb

I think he is talking about the extra $600/week from the Feds for those on unemployment (over and above their unemployment from the state).

2. bogieb

bogieb

I should have around 2.5 tons on hand by the end of the season. There are no spring discounts/sales around me, so that has never been an option. Even if I had the chance, don't have the room to store all I would need, so I'm okay with that. I will be able to get another ton or two when 10-15% off coupons come in the fall. Then grab more thru the winter as I get DT's because I'm down to only 2 tons :D

3. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I am hoping to stock up per usual right now. Local spot hasnt posted their spring deals, if there is one yet. So I wait.

PelletHound, ttdberg and bogieb like this.
  4. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

X2 = art is great, very convenient pellet pickup over at A1.

5. gbreda

gbreda

Looks like I will end the year with 1.5 ton. Its wait and see what happens time and make decision in a few months.

I dont have room in the garage to take any pellets anyway

slvrblkk and bogieb like this.
  6. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

I ended up using 2 tons of Woods and Sons and one Ton of Logic -E this winter. I have 1 ton of Woods and Sons left and a ton of Canwick I didn't even touch. I'll get another of Woods and Sons and another of Logic-E for next winter. The quality and lack of fines in the Logic-E was impressive.

7. Birddog91

Birddog91

Yeah we got the full stim, but wife was lining up a job, and poof they stopped hiring, so she gets unemployment and extra 600 a week. My 17 year old also. Does not make sense, but her money is going to college tuition.

Lousyweather and bogieb like this.
  8. Birddog91

Birddog91

OIl at a 1.48 today. Pellets not on my radar.

Lousyweather, peterfield and bogieb like this.
  9. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

How did you like the Wood and Sons? The fines in the Logic is impressive......but so was their Spring prebuy price.....

jtakeman and bogieb like this.
  10. subsailor

subsailor

The price of oil doesn't matter to me. I prefer the heat from my stove so I'll be burning pellets.

11. Tullytown

Tullytown

AMEN BROTHER!!!!
    Steady Pellet Heat vrs forced air or baseboard heat. up/down/off/up/down/off/ rinse/lather/repeat.

12. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

It matters to me. We replaced our boiler just under 2 years ago. We've had it in play long enough now to know that it the new boiler uses roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the oil the old one used to. Think about that. 150 - 200 gals in the same time the old one would burn 300 gallons. It's awesome, makes me wish we had done the replacement years ago! Anyway, for us, that makes the oil vs. pellets price delta even more meaningful.

Birddog91, jtakeman, gbreda and 2 others like this.
  13. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

We definitely don't have that problem here. We have HWBB. Very consistent heat, especially when compared to wandering outside of the room the pellet stove is in...Guessing this must be a forced hot air thing? Or maybe swing setting set too large on the thermostat?

jtakeman, Pete Zahria, gbreda and 2 others like this.
  14. subsailor

subsailor

2 year old on demand BBHW. Still prefer the pellets.

jtakeman, gbreda, slvrblkk and 2 others like this.
  15. Tullytown

Tullytown

We have both. HWBB and pellet stove. Much warmer with the stove as we have a poorly insulated 1928 house and the steady disribution compensates for it. (Even when someone Wanders).

16. gbreda

gbreda

What boiler did you go with? Is it one of the newer "smart" boilers?

My Weil Mclean is 25 years old. Heating guys still says it has life in it though. He says he would sell me what I want but this one still has some kick in it. He also doesnt push the more expensive stuff/one of the reasons I like him is he doesnt try to spend your money by putting it in his bank account. And he is good at what he does. Win Win :thumbs:

17. bogieb

bogieb

I have a 1991 Peerless gas-fired Boiler. When I had it maintained last fall, I was surprised that the guy didn't tell me I would need to think about replacing it soon. When it does become prudent to update, I hope to get one that doesn't depend on a pilot light. As little as I use it,I don't think that one of the super efficient boilers (expensive) would be on my list as the ROI would probably be at the end of the boiler's life.

ttdberg and jtakeman like this.
  18. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Funny, your heating guy sounds exactly like mine. Officially, he's long retired and just does cleanings these days. He told us when it was time to start budgeting for the replacement, so we did. Year after year he would come clean the old boiler and tell us it still had some life left. Awesome guy and always has the best intentions in mind, we are so lucky to have him. Eventually we got the money budgeted and decided to do the replacement before the old boiler broke down, so we weren't replacing it emergency style. The new boiler is a Weil McLain WGO-4. Biggest difference I see is the old boiler (30 year old Crown Montego) always had to maintain a *minimum* temperature, and because of that it kicked on and off regularly throughout the day, even when nothing was calling for heat in the house. The new boiler doesn't need to maintain a min temp; it only has a max temp. If nothing calls for heat, it drops right down to room temperature and stays there until something (thermostat or hot water tank) does call for heat.

gbreda and bogieb like this.
  19. subsailor

subsailor

This is the one I had installed.

[​IMG]

bogieb, gbreda and jtakeman like this.
  20. gbreda

gbreda

That WGO-4 looks like the same footprint as my old one-which has to maintain a min temp-and it isnt the new fancy ones. Good to know the new ones can go to room temp as well. I hate hearing it run so much in the summer

My current one leaks if it cools-not defective, its the way the gaskets are on the model and lucky me, mine is the last year of that design.

bogieb likes this.