In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's Your Backup or 'Real' Heat Source ?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Dumf, Feb 17, 2020.

1. B.Brown

B.Brown

Nothing but wood, although we do have nat gas but, haven't used it except to check it out just before fall/winter hits. Have lots of wood, can get lots of wood, can still cut, split , stack and enjoy doing it. I'll burn wood till i can't get out and get anymore. I enjoy it a lot, getting out in the woods, clear cuts, seeing the animals, getting some really nice wood, and its good for me to get out and wear myself out a little bit every now and then.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and Maina like this.
  2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

When not burning wood, fuel oil burner/furnace with forced hot air. Ductwork also carries AC.

Furnace needed to be replaced 5yrs ago. Haven't had to buy oil for 3yrs. So, the furnace has had about 200gals burned in it. Hardly broken in. Should probably start checking oil prices and order a refill.

Hot water is propane.

3. blujacket

blujacket

Wood is my supplemental heat to my heat pump. Had natural gas ran to house last month, and it will be my primary source of heat here on out. I love wood heat, but free wood has become scarce, and if I have to buy it, may as well burn this cheap gas.

Chaz, Thor, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  4. CtRider

CtRider

South side is wood and sun exposure, north is oil w/ forced hot air. Too bad I can’t get the wood heat over to that side.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  5. 343amc

343amc

NG boiler/baseboard heat is primary. Gas here is pretty cheap. With the monthly meter fee and taxes it’s about .97/therm. My highest gas bill was $180 for January 2019. I was sicker than a dog from mid December until mid January and don’t think I burned any wood for about a month.

If it’s above 35 or so outside I let the boiler run. Other than that, there is a fire most every night and all weekend when it’s cold.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and Thor like this.
  6. Pricey106

Pricey106

My back up when I am not home is the wife tossing splits into the stove, or my son. Otherwise I have electric baseboard that all breakers are shut off to. The wife turns the thermostat up in the bedroom, and that satisfies her. Then we also have a propane fireplace in the first level living room, that the propane tank has never been filled since I bought the house.

7. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Right, stove heat doesn't go sideways well. Try a couple of "muffin fans" ( past use in older PC's) in doorway(s) to move air. The small but high velocity fans move a lot of air.
    Or, what we have had to do, go with two stoves.
    Then again, oil is now cheap.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  8. SD Steve

SD Steve

Well, I guess my backup is the woodstove. When I was working full time I didn't have time to always keep it burning. (I was layed off last week due to lack of work and coronavirus fears). My primary is my propane furnace that I installed myself, (gas line indoors, electrical, fixed ductwork issues....all of it). Before that we were on all electric baseboard and in-wall heaters. The kids would have to share a room in winter because there was no heat up there, and we would run a space heater in their room upstairs.

My wife won't touch the woodstove, and my sons are still a bit young to load or start it without me being home.

Over this past Christmas and Thanksgiving (long holiday weekends) the house was great!! I was able to burn late into the evening then get her fired up again in the morning and burn all day!! It was great. The kids rooms suffered a bit being on the second floor and woodstove in the basement but I would just run the propane furnace for a hour and it was fine up there.

Quick story, my wife asked me why I thought we needed to spend so much on getting a woodstove. I told her that all forms heat require electricity. Everything except the woodstove. And we have been lucky that we have not had to spend a night in winter without electricity.

Chaz, moresnow, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  9. Rich L

Rich L

No this warm winter trend is going to turn.We'll be seeing some record breaking winters so gather as much wood as you can.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Oil is a backup that I don’t mind using especially when it’s cheap

11. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Propane forced air furnace. It gets used one week per winter when we are away for Christmas. Makes me laugh.....all the way to the bank!:D

Chaz, Maina, Chazsbetterhalf and 2 others like this.
  12. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

My back up is my PE Super 27 ! Blaze king Ultra to carry the main load. 100 year old uninsulated farmhouse up in the Canadian Maritimes! Don’t have any other heat source besides wood. We are known as the family with the warm house . If we go on vacation we just load the Blaze King up before we go !

Maina, SD Steve, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  13. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome to FHC PEIBenj . You'll like it here. We like dogs, beer and pics. Lots of great people here with a lot of knowledge to share. Now about those pics:whistle: how about showing off what you have.

Maina and Chaz like this.
  14. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

B23574F8-D6AB-46F2-A3D4-B10BE30729EF.jpeg Here’s the blaze king. It is amazing.

Maina, MAF143, moresnow and 2 others like this.
  15. PEIBenj

PEIBenj

2C0DE162-1ED3-4176-997D-046A4DB55986.jpeg

What’s more Canadian than beer and maple syrup!?

Maina, moresnow, Dumf and 3 others like this.
  16. Rich L

Rich L

Man I know the Blaze King can burn a long time but not long enough to take a vacation on.If your vacation is an overnight I can see that even in Canada.Other than that how do you manage a vacation with even both stoves blazin ?

Maina, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  17. Highbeam

Highbeam

whoa! The impossible king on a 6” flue AND heating water tank via thermosiphon.

18. Dumf

Dumf Banned

It is said that a Blaze King will run for weeks in Canada.:faint:

Chazsbetterhalf and MAF143 like this.
  19. moresnow

moresnow

PEIBenj

Just how much of a vacation can you get away for?
    Betting you may surprise some people with your answer!
    Welcome to FHC. From another BK user.

20. Meche_03

Meche_03

House has central heating and AC. Heating is parallel propane and wood furnace. Propane heat is usually turned off at the thermostat. Wood heat has its own central blower and thermostat.

Propane furnace ran 3 times in the last year. About once a month during winter. I wasn't home to keep fire burning for the family. I don't mind because using it once a month for a day let's me know that everything is working fine.