In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Pine tree in lower field snapped cleaned it up left 12’ high tree on stump so neighbor boy can practice a drop with low risk IMG_2213.jpeg

70* and low humidity so catch up time

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, this crap can just go down to Georgia, and stay there!

3. lukem

lukem

Not even noon yet:

upload_2024-8-6_11-57-56.png

4. savemoney

savemoney

I have a tomato plant that must be 5 ft tall. Question is when will it tip over from its own weight? I have some summer squash that has leaves 4 ft high. I don't recall them being that high before. Now if they would produce something.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

At 4' tall aren't they produced any shade? :cool:

6. Dok440

Dok440

Last week we got the call everyone around here dreads. Insurance company wants pictures of our house. At least they didn't take pictures with a drone without our knowledge. We had a beautiful oak in front of our house that sheltered our front deck. It had to go. I intended to have our tree guy take this down but he isn't available until Fall. My wife called me at work and I headed home to take it down.

I really didn't want to take this tree down myself. It was growing at about 60deg diagonally running along the house and also growing back towards the house. I took down a lot of the branches with the Echo pole saw to lighten it up. I got a strap around the tree about 20ft up and hooked it up to the tractor. My son kept tension with the tractor and put in the face cut to drop it in the driveway. Luckily it dropped right where I wanted it. I was too nervous to take pictures :emb:

Anyone else dealing with insurance issues? Ours is going up $500 this year after tripling last year.

7. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Just keep plugging away at the truckload of oak.
    IMG_2609.jpeg

re-splitting for those times when I need to make sure a future spouse or partner will be helping.

I will split one or two buckets a day. I’m dumping them into a pile on concrete in the background there.
    IMG_3263.jpeg

just short of half the pile and I’ve done 6 buckets now.
    IMG_3264.jpeg

8. Horkn

Horkn

Ugh. I hate insurance companies.

My insurance went up, because I bought a boat that needed coverage. But we're essentially getting the boat coverage with no increase in our total bill. Did some negotiating and found other discounts.

9. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

We just had a big storm roll through this afternoon. 3 inches of rain so far and its still coming down. We have needed the rain. Just didn't need it all in one shot . Mother nature is a angry woman here today.

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I had similar after High Park Fire in Colo. Defensible space, and any trees with signs of beetle kill were taken down. Then, insurance doubled as well as a county tax for living in fire possible area.

11. Dok440

Dok440

When we moved here I took out 12 large trees for defensible space. I'm going to take out another 6 this Fall. Starting to hear people being required to close in overhangs and special vents that block embers from coming in through the attic/basement vents. I think I should get ahead of all this. It is worth it being in the country but ouch!

How far away was the fire to you?

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes Ouch! And we moved too. Wish we would have waited to sell but that ships sailed. My house was on a ridge that was visible from the city, so "our neighborhood" was well protected, I assume to save face for all the homes that burned behind the ridge behind us. We had a run 500' as the eagle flies but it was just along on the road and prevented from going to the canyon between us and that neighbor. Another neighbor at the top of the road was in the news for firefighters complimenting her on her defensive space. Add in catastrofic home losses in
    Colo Springs within a few days of ours regarding insurance and "fire danger areas". How far did it come to your home?

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

This is the house above me I mention complimented for defensible space
    [​IMG]

I was on the bottom right longer finger of this fire containment boundry (as well as this house in the pic)
    [​IMG]

14. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

Got another 2 inches of rain after the first 3. So 5 total in about 4.5 hours. Plenty of that rain is in my basement now . Not having fun here

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm sorry!!

16. Sourwood

Sourwood

Headed to the tree farm for the first time in months. Fortunately the weather is set to break .with highs in low 80 for the weekend.

I plan to get some serious motorcycle riding in the Ohio river country the next few days. Will be checking in on the timber as well, but the landing yard has rebounded well with grass returning.

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Creepy I noticed 2 bug bites on the side of my face, cheek and one under my eye later this morning. Ewww, what bit me and where, in bed? After I got up and put my house coat on? Creepy, Right!?!

18. Gasifier

Gasifier

Sister let us know she took our Mother to Hospital earlier this evening. She was feeling pretty sick. Testing shows some Pneumonia and UTI. UGH. 90-1/2 y.o.

I came up to relieve my Sister. I Vs of two antibiotics and breathing treatments have her feeling a little better already. X-Ray earlier. Cat scan a bit ago. Waiting on results of the last one. Stable and sleeping now.

Chaz, Dok440, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  19. bogieb

bogieb

The company I'd been with forever (including my previous house), raised prices 40% last year. I said no thank you and found another company that only raised the price by 10%. It will be another couple of months before I see what they have in store for me for the next year.

20. 41FanForLife

41FanForLife

What kind of motorcycle are you taking out for some 2 wheeled therapy?