In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Dennis you have to remember those houses were designed with front porches. As a kid it could take an hour to walk 2 blocks; as after dinner people would sit on porches and talk with neighbors walking up the street.

mat60, bogieb, savemoney and 5 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

And you must remember I was born and raised in the country where space was not a problem. We never sat on the porch to talk to the neighbors either. Our neighbors were farmers like we were.

mat60, bogieb, savemoney and 4 others like this.
  3. Gasifier

Gasifier

And you two need to remember that when I was a kid we had to walk miles to school uphill. Both ways! And around here the shade flies were so thick you had to shovel them off the sidewalks. And snowshoes had to be worn in order to get to school because they never gave us snow days. We would stop to pee behind the trees and it would freeze before it hit the ground!:BrianK:

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

You have to remember; was probably a poor choice of wording.. here in 1940 houses were built with porches so a sense of community developed as described. Garages were out in the back. People with longer front drives, in town were wealthier and considered less social.
    In 1970s it changed less porches more attached garage’s. New thing seems to be garages in front don’t even know your neighbors..

of course none of this applies to out in the country. I didn’t forget your an old farm/country boy Dennis. You have been a welcome guest and driven my driveway:handshake:

5. billb3

billb3

Front porches kinda died when engineers invented television and air conditioning. No one sat out there any more so why have it.

6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

That's the plan, fingers crossed! I've not said a lot because it seems weird to say "we're moving in 3 years", or now 2 years lol. This will cut 2.5 hours off kiddo's bus rides, I'll have full city services, and the winters will be so much easier on all of us. And we'll back out here summers. This winter will be plumbing to that side of the building, next year will be interior finish. Kiddo and I are so excited we can practically taste it!

7. savemoney

savemoney

I am happy for you. Yes, life should be easier for you. The one thing that matters is that you have decent neighbors. Life can be a living hell if you live next to a Karen.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks, I know you understand how good this will be for me/us :)

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

The best version of you
    by Pastor Daron Lindemann

You are the best version of yourself when you believe that what God says about you is true.

When you consume others’ social media posts and compare yourself to them or you accept the powerful propaganda that only you can decide your identity—this is not your best identity.

Instead, praise God for designing you: “You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb” (Psalm 139:13).

My college roommate had an afghan blanket knitted by his mom. Woven into it were all his favorite sports, hobbies, nicknames, family names, and some dates. Nobody else fit under that blanket. It was uniquely him.

God knit into you everything that is uniquely you … with no mistakes. God brought into being his version of you.

“My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth” (Psalm 139:15). “The depths of the earth” is ancient language saying, “That’s so far away nobody knows how to get there except God.”

It’s an intimate, secret place where it was only God and you. He didn’t check Pinterest. He didn’t Google nose shapes or personality mixes. Secret. Just you and God. His eyes were only on you.

There and then he created, designed, sculpted, and brought into this world his version of you. Which is the best version of you. And nobody is a better you than you! So. Be. You.

wildwest, JD Guy, Woodwidow and 2 others like this.
  11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Great day partly sunny currently 67* temps dropping; summer in the north… ahh

12. JD Guy

JD Guy

Envious! Yesterday was 101.3* F here:bug:

13. Horkn

Horkn

We had a nice not so hot day. I had good timing to get the pulley and belt for my mower deck. I got the deck disassembled, pulley that arrived via Amazon today ordered last night and the belt I ordered a couple of days ago both installed after work. I got the blades off and started to sharpen them. I'll need to break out the bench grinder. They are super dull. 1 blade I got a bit better with the drill mounted sharpener, but I need a bit more aggressive grinding this time.
    Old tensioner pulley vs new one. The bearing was gone on the old one. It looks to have been gone a while by the wear on the bushing.
    PXL_20240627_230629522.jpg

ab4f59af-1fd1-4ee7-9f8d-ac68bb46c078.jpg

All back together with a new belt and tensioner pulley. I'll get the blades sharpened tomorrow and then back in the tractor. At some point I should probably paint the deck, but it's still super solid. Back when they built stuff to last.

If I can get the blades sharpened tomorrow and then the deck back on and lawn mowed tomorrow after work, I'll be really happy. I had to separate the the deck from the deck plate with about 7 1/2" bolts that haven't been removed in 40 years. The blades haven't been off in a good 10-20 years. I used a lot of penetrating oil soaking for a good day and nothing broke. Kind of impressive that nothing broke because I used a 4 foot cheater bar on the wrench and I still had to put some grunt on the bar.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 9:57 PM
    JD Guy, theburtman, wildwest and 8 others like this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Yes, this cool spell is so much better than that ugly hot and humid stuff.

bogieb, theburtman, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

That hot humid weather is coming back soon unfortunately.

I attempted to split some rounds I had surgery in the trailer a couple of days ago when it was nearly 70° but still humid and cloudy. I was drenched in sweat in like 20 minutes. Higher humidity sucks.

16. Erik B

Erik B

Earlier this week I fell and thought I messed up my right knee. It hurt when walking and made sleeping difficult. I went in to see a Dr. this morning and after a brief exam and some x-rays, I only have a bone bruise that should heal up in a week or so. I think I am a bit lucky. Now I have to behave myself for a little while:whistle:

SimonHS, bogieb, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Glad for you Erik

18. Backwoods Savage

We just received another fantastic weather forecast. Tonight's low is forecast to be 69 degrees.

That is not bad until you realize the high temperature for today was 68 degrees! Present temperature is 67 degrees.

I am sorry but that really does show a low IQ.

wildwest, theburtman and billb3 like this.
  19. billb3

billb3

It's got until sunrise to warm up.

Horkn, savemoney and wildwest like this.
  20. Gasifier

Gasifier

Good to hear.

Horkn, savemoney and Erik B like this.