In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

$157 total IIRC for some PT lumber, roll of screen and assorted hardware. One of those wasn’t in budget BUT needed done NOW…

Would have been done on a weekend but the Wife (my beautiful bride) kept changing the design:rofl: :lol:
    So took 2 weekends and and some evenings

when house paid off she wants to tear it down change entrance; so it’s make it work for now..

I remember asking if anyone put door hinges on a slider before.. no one had; so I tried it..

Chaz, Horkn, Backwoods Savage and 5 others like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Congrats! :handshake:

Chvymn99, Chaz, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  3. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Yesterday, For the first time since my grandparents died, I walked through this neighborhood in the daylight. I'm still processing the effects of that decision, but maybe it was time. Not all was as I remembered it.
    The old barn across the hill..... needs more than a little paint. I'd been watching it deteriorate slowly my whole life.

DSCF7321.JPG DSCF7318.JPG DSCF7313.JPG DSCF7341.JPG DSCF7324.JPG DSCF7317.JPG DSCF7328.JPG

bogieb, Chaz, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

To me that just does not make sense.

Chvymn99, Chaz, savemoney and 6 others like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

The whole credit score FICO thing is a convoluted, weird, and messed up game.

6. theburtman

theburtman

When I paid off my mortgage my credit score went down. Same when I paid off my truck. I don't plan on borrowing much more money in my lifetime, so F them.

Chvymn99, Chaz, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. I paid off a loan, score went down. Tell me how that makes sense. You should reward those that pay off a loan.

8. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

They want you stuck in the system, paying interest.

9. Horkn

Horkn

True, but your score goes up when you pay down your CC freeing up more available credit. That makes sense at least

10. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Obviously loans and cc are treated differently. Something about long term vs short term credit. Idk.... i try not to use credit much. I put some stuff on a card and pay off when due to get some rewards. This house obviously. Hopefully nothing much from here on out.

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

This January the sale of our previous home we sold in 2014 fell off my credit score and it really dinged it. Then I ended up closing our credit cards we had for work in the mid 1990's (car rental insurance on that card and were were traveling) and never used anymore. That dinged it too!

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Keeping a high credit score has it's advantages.

Being from Michigan, you probably already know that auto insurance is lower if you have a higher credit score; I've been told. Don't think so? try switching companies and they will automatically run your credit score before they give you a quote.

Also, consider vehicle purchases through manufacturer financing. Do you think you'd get 0% interest from any of them if you have a low credit score? Even tractor dealers won't offer the 0% if your score is low.

Doesn't mean we don't meet our loan payments, it just means the loans are much easier and less costly to get.....if needed. there's always the unexpected and unplanned expense that comes along.

Things have changed from the days of a handshake with the finance officer.

13. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Playing into your "what if" scenario of unplanned expenses. What kind of "emergencies" are we talking about and how much should one person worry themselves to have on tap one way or another? Remember... emergencies are things that you can't see coming.

14. yooperdave

yooperdave

$$ for an unplanned but required short notice airline ticket.

Medical expenses.

Purchase of a vehicle before it's planned for.

Damage to residence that falls short of insurance coverage.

Family loans.....(shudder!)

I dunno! That kinda crap I guess!

15. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Idk seems like you get a credit card or 2 and that would pretty much cover it.

If you don't have the money to loan family you don't have it. Lol

My first cedit experience was when i went to the bank to get a loan for a dirt bike. If i remember right it was about $1600. They had me apply for a cedit card. Luckily at that time it was a 0% interest for 12 months card.

One you get a card i seems the rates don't ever change for the better no matter your cedit score.

Idk what sort term loan interest rates are. If they're comparable to cc rates? From my experience banks didn't like giving out short term small amount loans. That was 08 or 09 tho...

16. Warner

Warner

Unfortunately keeping a good credit score is a necessity in today’s world. Unless of course you are wealthy enough to cover anything unexpected. Using credit cards for their perks can be used to one’s advantage if they are offered and you have the self control to not overspend and pay the balance off before any interest accrues. We will finance pretty much anything that is 0% is an option and play with credit cards to get the most out of them. Just gotta watch for the ones that have yearly fees.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

This is very true computers and numbers.. no one looks at relationships
    Who uses credit scores every one!
    Every insurance house vehicle health etc
    Landlord and rental companies
    Govt agencies including Law enforcement

better to have it and not need it…

Also believe in having us $20s

18. Horkn

Horkn

I'll add a couple that no insurance coverage covers.

Septic and well fixed. No insurance coverage, even homeowners insurance covers these. A new well pump is about 2500. Ask me how I know. ;)

Also, I had a septic repair needed about 4 years ago that was about 1500 that caused problems and wasn't covered.

19. savemoney

savemoney

Right, it doesn't make sense, at least common sense. To those who manage money, it has a reason. For one thing, it shows who pays their bills. My FICO is 850, at all three bureaus. Other types of credit scores may give a different number. My numbers were not always like that. I went to a credit union and sought advice on how to fix that and I was able to correct my ways in about three years. Not easy when living on a fixed retirement income, but it can be done. What concerns me is the cost of long-term care. It can chew up one's savings quickly. My sister-in-law was in long-term care at $10,000 a month for two years. Once you run out of savings, you go on state aid. They take your home when you die so your kids inherit nothing.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Same...but no idea what credit score is now...if its still high, its only because of very occasional CC usage.
    Heck we have a positive balance on the one card now...month or so back the wife called to pay it and got tangled up in their phone/auto pay system, so no confirmation #, and very unsure that it went through, so she called again the next day, talked with a rep and they said, nope, no record of payment, so paid the balance...got the monthly bank statement and sure enough, CC payment X2! :hair: