In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Moparguy

Moparguy

Yes, they would rather lose their house in a tornado than deal with 2" of snow or 40 deg winter days. Everyone thinks they're going to be on a boat or in the pool all summer. I HATE the summer and warm spring weather.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Could you imagine if we switched homes for a year? You'd not like months of -20 and constant high winds but you'd LOVE summers here. I'd not like the hot humid months there but love the winters.

Horkn, yooperdave, Moparguy and 3 others like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hoarders, ever since I closed these cards my email is inundated with "debt relief" , new credit cards and similar spams. I guess it's good they can't actually see my debt ratio but how do they know I closed credit cards? I just keep deleting, too many to unsubscribe to all.

4. bogieb

bogieb

Credit card companies sell some of your info. Although maybe that info is separated so as not to put you "at risk", an email list by itself is an easy payment to them from marketing firms. Also, if you ever googled about how to close a cc account, or even wrote it down, cookies are collecting that info and sending it somewhere. I would not doubt that credit reporting agencies also sell email lists of those who recently opened/closed accounts.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You ought to see my email when I open every morning. Our server will scan out most of the questionable crap then send me a list daily. I get up to 150 and almost all are from foreign addresses. I blacklist them but all they have to do is change 1 letter in their address and it comes through. I am considering changing my email address.

brenndatomu, Horkn, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  6. Moparguy

Moparguy

Assuming I had no issues with frozen pipes, I would stay inside and keep my house decorated like it's still Christmas. Where do you live in WY that it's -20 that frequently??

When the dew point starts going above 60 I start disliking the weather more and more. Everything is increasingly annoying the warmer and more humid it is. In the winter I don't have to mow, or deal with ticks, bugs, etc. It's easier to be outside when it's cooler. It will literally be a gorgeous 60-65 deg day with the night temps in the 40's and people will ignore it and say "oooooo next Saturday is supposed to be 80! Nice!!!". That annoys me to no end.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

In the north it’s time to mow lawn for first time..
    A little past time but just got mower back..

8. savemoney

savemoney

I just put up with the weeds in the lawn. Keeping it cut is good enough for me. I had a run in with herbicide while I was in Vietnam. It was Agent Orange and now I have chronic health issues that will eventually win. So my feelings are to stay to hell away from known toxic substances. I have found that vinegar, salt, and Dawn detergent with water in a spray bottle applied in the AM on a hot sunny day will kill the tops of most weeds. Those that spread by roots will come back. But the good thing is I am not spreading poison.

9. Erik B

Erik B

savemoney Your approach to lawn care is very much like mine. I try to keep a nice green lawn and the weeds that grow do wonders in keeping it green. This time of year I am blessed by an abundance of pretty yellow flowers, also.:thumbs::thumbs::handshake:

brenndatomu, savemoney, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

West side of SE WY, snow tonight. Clouds very low already. Wow, enjoy those nice temps!!

Oh, pipes wont freeze if house is warm, but you have to go get water tanks for the house several times a week in that weather, and of course getting wood from the wood pile and pellets, but other than that you could hunker down during the cold snaps lol

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  11. yooperdave

yooperdave

Way too many people I know that are no longer with us. :picard:

:usa:

JD Guy, savemoney, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Upper 20's here tonight also. :handshake:

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:handshake:

14. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Very sorry to hear of your ongoing health issues. I had 3 great uncles that served in Vietnam. Two in the army, and one in the navy. Uncle Doug's job in the navy was to go up the rivers and collect the bodies of fallen marines. I can only imagine what he went through. He survived the war but Agent Orange got him a few years ago.
    A4D0E7BE-475D-499B-B834-2FAB05349F3A.jpeg

JD Guy, savemoney, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Tulips in wifes rose garden IMG_2086.jpeg

red squirrel killed other roses but that’s what birthdays are for

brenndatomu, savemoney, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  16. bogieb

bogieb

I'm going to try to mow for the 1st time this weekend. May not happen if we keep getting intermittent showers. I don't mow wet grass (98% of the time anyway).

On another note, finally was able to put the grass catcher for the mower to good use. I just use the mulching function and let the clippings go back to the ground. Yesterday I saw a request on a town FB page asking if anyone had a grass catcher for the Toro 22" Recycler mower. That's exactly what I have so the guy was tickled to pick it up last night. I was tickled to get it out of my shed where it has been collecting dust for 3 years.

savemoney, wildwest, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  17. bogieb

bogieb

My lawn is very pretty with all the gold" showing. I don't care to try to keep a so called "healthy" lawn. Although I do have a few patches of mainly grass (go figure, in water control areas that are in the shade - not what you would call prime grass area), most is a mix of different types of weeds. The wild violets and creeping mint should be blooming soon. I rarely have a shortage of bees and other insects that enjoy pollen/nectar even when my flower gardens aren't producing in the early spring.

18. Backwoods Savage

Yes!

wildwest, savemoney and Horkn like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Better yet, I have no lawn and do not want one.

bogieb, brenndatomu, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Hey bogieb are these wild violets IMG_2087.png

they are all over lawn my wife thinks they’re beautiful..

I mow all my weeds same height; try not to hit summers sweet, butterflies bushes, fire bushes fruit trees etc.. grass weeds (the lawn) keeps dirt out of house