In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I generally hibernate when the wind is blowing which is much of the time here. Hibernating happens for many reasons. I miss what it was most my life but it is what is now and I know we can figure it out.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:dex:

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I KNOW you rocked driving that :)

4. bogieb

bogieb

Yesterday morning I had the unpleasant experience of taking an unplanned lukewarm shower. No,it didn't wake me up any as I had been up for over 2 hours and already had my coffee ;)

Went down and checked the 2009 HWH, and the water tank was cold and not firing. The relief valve had also ejected some water into the bucket that is there just for such an occasion. I had actually checked that bucket last weekend when I cleaned the pellet stove, and it had been dry at that point, so I was confident that was a new issue. Left a message with my repair place and they scheduled me in for between noon and 2. Then the guy called before 10 and said he was on his way over - great!

So the guy came in and hit the reset and then the piezo lighter and it fired up. He figured that the wind had blown it out. I was skeptical because that had never happened (and although it had been windy, it hadn't been that windy), but what the eff do I know? But he had to go pick up another pressure tank so he let it run while doing that. When he got back, the burner had gone out, so it wasn't wind. After tearing into it, he found that a rod had a bunch of build up and he cleaned that off. He also removed a bunch of cat hair/dust from the lower filter to improve the air flow. He then called the mfg to make sure he didn't need to look at anything else before firing up. I was there during the call and they said it should be all set.

So he fired that puppy up and waited around to ensure it didn't go out. Success. Now that thing is pumping out wicked hot water even on setting "A", which according to the manual (which I just found) will produce 130*. So will probably reduce it to the setting before that, which should produce 120* water..

water heater setting after 1-27-23 service call.jpg

5. Gasifier

Gasifier

Caffeine! Time to slowly get moving around the house to get the blood flowing. Load the Wood Gun boiler and take a shower. The workhouse is expecting me this weekend.

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

With your property (and toys) you need to be retired and get rid of that inconvenience of having to drive to work for someone else! :handshake:

7. Gasifier

Gasifier

Five more years from this July my friend.:thumbs:

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Larry, the picture was of a first generation caravan, 1984-1989. Realize at that time Chrysler was almost broke; to build confidence they did a 7/70 power train warranty. I was teenager with 6 siblings my parents owned 2 caravan at a time. Engine tranny fine (gutless) every pump, pulley, hose or belt in them I replaced..

I am sure Chrysler has improved quality since mid 80s

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

I recall there was a motor they used in them that was a good motor. Maybe a 3.0Liter V-6.(Mitsubishi?) Then they switched to a different motor and some were not happy with them. My brother had two of the ones he said were the better motor. Back when raising his kids.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It was 80s dad bought 2.2l 4cyl 5 speeds
    Yes had a 6 cylinder 3.0 and more power.

11. savemoney

savemoney

Flat land with field grass and weeds isn't normally considered landscaping. At least not traditional landscaping. Normally would see defined walkways, foundation planting and some trees and ornamental gardens in basic landscaping. Why I brought it up is that most of the homes you have posted have little more than some grass growing around them. I'm OK with that, just wondered if that was the traditional way homes are in your area. I know when I lived up on a mountain in Finland MN, that grass and a paved driveway and walkways was all we had. Growing season was only two months without frost. That was military housing. All I had to do there was mow the grass and rake leaves, oh yes, and shovel snow, lots of snow, several feet deep snow.

12. savemoney

savemoney

My son got our driveway scraped right down to the Asphalt. So far, we have been getting away with only using sand. We try to avoid the salt application because it can be harmful. Plus we don't want it on the dog's feet. I have bought the so called safe ice melt, but that cost a lot and doesn't go very far. Ice melts only to refreeze. With sand, it stays and leaves a grit for traction.

13. tree killer

tree killer

We are not paved. We are 400 feet off the road and it is wide with a big open area near the house. I don’t want to pay that bill.

14. Horkn

Horkn

Yes. We rented a maroon colored 3.0 Mitsubishi powered one in 1990 or 91 when we did the Philmont high adventure 2 week backpacking trip in New Mexico in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. My wood cutting buddy had one of these too, think a 4 cylinder auto that the reverse gear went out and he had to get creative when parking it. Like on a hill to have gravity reverse. Lol

15. Horkn

Horkn

Oh, now today's snow event that's going to happen has been upgraded.
    What was expected to be 1-3" on Thursday night was upgraded to 4-6" yesterday, and now this am is going to be 6-10" for us. Chit show starts at noon supposedly. Glad I got what I could done with wood cutting when there was no snow. If we get 6-10 it'll be messy. Screenshot_20230128-083245.png

Oh yeah, I better get the auger belt tensioner adjusted on my Ariens snowblower. It finally needs adjustment.

16. savemoney

savemoney

Can't blame you for that. We paved our driveway to get out of the mud issues. My oldest son is at least 1000 ft in off the road. He plans to pave just the area in front of the garage and house. The rest will be a gravel road. With pet and kids, mud can be a major issue during the spring thaw.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Larry tell him too put down road fabric, since I did my driveway been mud free since and no ice this winter. :thumbs:

Far easier to do it right first time than dig up a 1000 feet of drive to fix it.. this I learned hard way also:headbang:

18. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Good to know. My drive and parking area is a mess now with the mud. I’m actually going to get quotes to asphalt it as the gravel keeps disappearing each winter spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Warner

Warner

I went in 98, hopefully my son stays in the program I’d love to go back.

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

6D3BDB5A-1752-416D-94AD-3575A785F529.jpeg
    Lenny of course the gravel disappeared, I once pushed fiberglass driveway stake 5’ long into mud to see how deep it was, never seen in since!:jaw:

the fabric keeps mud and stone separated, stone doesn’t hold water so no ice:yes: