In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

X?

Horkn, wildwest, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  2. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Electricity is 13 cents here, our dollar, which right now exchanges for a little under 10 cents USD. And you're paying that? I'll be telling that to anyone I hear complaining of power being so expensive. Although your petroleum prices may be cheaper, I said the same thing several times I heard Americans complaining about fuel prices surging, when they still were much cheaper in the US than here, or for that matter, upon research, anywhere else in the first world.

Right now, furnace oil is 1.76 a liter, which equals exactly 5 bucks USD per US gallon. I'm actually surprised to learn that, given that diesel is 2.89 a liter now, or 8.21 USD per US gallon. Last time diesel surged to insane prices here, furnace oil was only cents on its heels, not 2/3 of the price.

3. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

X2!

4. tree killer

tree killer

Churchill dam in Labrador keeps you in cheap electricity.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Happy Birthday!

6. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

yes, same thing with lumber. A while back when lumber surged, sexton lumber, which I believe is our biggest lumber mill in NL, gave it's employees a massive bonus due to the crazy prices. Someone on Facebook commented about why don't they just drop the price for the poor consumer. Well, unfortunately it's not their choice like that. As someone else replied, they didn't have to give that bonus away. The owners could have kept it all. And supply vs demand? It was being shipped away to the mainland they had so much to sell, even with everyone doing pandemic renos here like everywhere else. We have at least 2 other commercial mills on the island producing "storebought" lumber.

At least in my area, the small local mill sector has resurged lately too, 2 within about 10 min of me, that were closed down (one of those the former owner passed away), opened back up and the other one which stayed going is busier again then they were for a long time.

As to refineries, ours is actually not producing now, it's been inactive for maybe a couple years, but still being used as distribution for imported product. It was announced recently that someone is turning it into a biofuel production facility, that's fine by me if it provides jobs. Irving oil, owner of the refinery in NB, also has a distribution terminal in St.John's, and I believe Esso still has one on our west coast but can't swear to that. As far as extracting crude, yes we do produce a lot of that. Now, where it goes to be processed, and where the other refineries get their crude, I probably don't want to know. Even when our refinery was processing oil, it was only a few years ago, after decades, that it processed oil drilled in NL waters. It imported crude, and our rigs exported their cude elsewhere. Irving has processed some NL crude in NB, they've also imported some by railroad from the USA. Not sure if they get any from Western Canada.

I don't have the knowledge to directly reply to that, and frankly I don't really want to do the proper research. I don't often engage in conversations about stock markets, politics, or such, I grew up with a grandfather who watched the news too much and dwelled on stuff he couldn't control, and I don't have the stomach for it.
    But, I know this much, Churchill is selling power out of NL, (nearly all of the power it produces, to my understanding) for a pittance because one of our most hated politicians in history locked it into a deal with Quebec for nearly a century, without seeming to factor that the dollar loses value over time. That contract isn't up till 2041. I think Labrador has power far cheaper than the island.

On the island, We are in the process of switching over from an oil powered generation plant on the island, to another dam project in Labrador via the "Labrador-Island link". That project way overshot it's budget, go figure. The oil powered plant has had its closure date pushed back several times, I'm not sure when it's supposed to be now and I don't really care either.

There are still big plans for windmill development too, and that may make more sense than any other way of harnessing power. Wind is one thing this island has a steady supply of, and it's green energy.

Well the new furnace is in, the house reeked when I walked in the door, but the tank is gone and that's one benefit, it seems like so much space although it had a smaller footprint than many kitchen tables. I don't like oil furnaces anyway, regardless of the price. furnace oil is a dirty fuel, smells far worse than gas or diesel if you ask me.
    Wood is the best heat. I like wood. :camping:

7. tree killer

tree killer

Is Churchill hooked in to the Manic dam system in Quebec? I’ve been there a couple times and gone through the dam but don’t remember where the power runs to. Too bad the situation it’s in.

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Here #2 heating oil is exactly same as diesel except for color it is dyed too.
    Low sulfur diesel fuel

9. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

I can't say as I know, and upon a quick Google search I can't seem to find any information about it. :confused:

I know they're very similar, but it's smelled different than diesel fuel when I've been exposed to its fumes. My cousin's husband burns it in his diesel pickup truck, that can cost big fines if you get caught, but chances of getting caught are probably very slim, and when it costs more than a dollar less per liter, I'd be tempted too. Cheaper than gasoline for that matter, and the diesel truck gets better fuel mileage than a gasser.

10. billb3

billb3

My last bill for electricity was $0.31 / kWh. (that's a residential non-heating rate) I signed up to buy electricity from the town co-op which is 7¢ cheaper. I'm supposed to see it in my next bill, Nov 26. HHO is $5.19 (today, right now, prices have been swinging up and down) Diesel at the station across from the grocery store I go to every Tuesday was $5.69.

11. tree killer

tree killer

Diesel is cheap there. We are $6 plus.

12. Horkn

Horkn

Happy birthday amateur cutter !!!

I'm going up this year for deer huntiing next weekend. I see Michigan's deer season starts 4 days before ours.

13. bogieb

bogieb

14. bogieb

bogieb

My electric price, after everything is said and done, is about $0.355 per kwh. That is averaging the last 3 months since the price increase. I'm sure the kwh hours shown on my bill are rounded, which would explain the calculated difference month-to-month. And the cost will go up again at the beginning of the year

Electric usage.jpg

The average prices for the state. Doesn't' mean that is what a resident pays - and the averages for petroleum HHFs are for those who use over 1,000 gallons
    Home Heat fuel prices 11-09-2022.jpg

15. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I’ve been busy the last few weeks. Time sure flies.
    Started on my timber Frame carport with the first delivery of Timbers. Slow start it’s looking like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then started moving wood up to the shed and porch for this coming winter. 2 loads like this so far with one tote full of shorts and uglies for the shop stove. Probably about 2 more loads like this to get it filled. I’m being a little picky this year and pulling the loose bark off as it goes in. That can go out to the firepit or shop stove. The high winds last week seem to help gravity in showing me my stacking skills weren’t up to par on the Woodrow so that’s the first wood that got loaded of course.
    [​IMG]

Had some major leaf removal to do with the last mow of the year. The tarp thing wasn’t working for me so I bought myself a new to me used Stihl backpack blower. (I love that thing!) and made a scooper for the leaves. Still took a full day to get done.[​IMG]

That’s about catches me up. More toting and timber framing in my near future. Glad that winter isn’t coming in hard yet here in Southern Vermont.
    To all, a good day.
    Lenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. yooperdave

yooperdave

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

X3

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

X4 Jason enjoy the day

Chaz, yooperdave, Stephiedoll and 6 others like this.
  19. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

X5

Chaz, yooperdave, Stephiedoll and 4 others like this.
  20. Ohio

Ohio

Stuffed r19 battens in the whole house fan opening. I'm ready to start burning full time.
    1111221002_Film2.jpg