In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I don’t know what the fuel prices are like where your are, but a four cylinder Toyota, RAV4 or Corolla, is probably the best choice if you can find one at a good price. If you drive standard transmission you may even get a better deal as not many people want, or know how, to drive them. Vehicles here in the US are priced crazy high both new and used.

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Understandably, the rav4 gets lower mpg. Mid to high 20's expected but low to mid 30's are easily attained.

Family member has a honda crv and reaches mid 30's for mpg.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'll see your Moments in Irish history and raise you one scene from Funny Farm! :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

:jaw:

Holy cow! They must have been making Toyota's for a long, long time! :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

5. bogieb

bogieb

First I cleaned real well with Simple Green (these doors probably haven't been cleaned since 1960, when they were installed). I used the scratch pad of a sponge to loosen grime before using the sponge side to wipe up the yuck, and of course used clean water to rinse (I had to change the water often). Then a light sanding with 220 grit, wiped down with Windex then used this stuff.

Varathane stain for existin doors-woodwork.jpg

I learned about being able to use it on existing finish a couple of weeks ago on Ron Hazelton's House Calls. If I could have found the naphtha I bought last year, I would have used it instead of Windex as the final cleaning before applying the stain. I brushed the stain on pretty thick and for the most part 1 coat did well. There are a few spots I applied a second, lighter coat - mostly on the casings which were harder to clean.

I used the inside of a closet for testing before committing to woodwork that is seen everyday. I had been putting off this project as I didn't want to go thru the massive sanding (been there), but I also didn't really want to replace all the doors/casings/trim either. I thought about painting but then it wouldn't match the window frames and other wood accents - besides, I really don't like painted wood for my own stuff.

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Wife got an '11 a few months ago (w/ 90k). It averages almost 29 on daily driving.

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Fished last evening until a bit after dark. 2 walleye; neither of them large enough to keep. :doh:

Got my tooth repaired yesterday. Well, at least the first step. There is a medicated filling that needs to be in place for 2-3 weeks and then address the final repair.

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Because they are reliable is the reason they hold their value. Over the years, there were hardly any times we got stuck on the side of the road with a problem. Keeping the maintenance up is a big key in keeping them running.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My sister took her first Toyota Corolla 385k miles Original drive train. Body rotted, she bought new one was mad she had to have electric windows got 225k Parts are cheap, Least expensive mile vehicle to own in my opinion

10. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Not much manual Trans experience as we've never had one. I was going to buy one the other year though and get used to it on the fly. Good deal. Reg cab 4 cyl 2wd ranger. But someone else beat me to the truck.

I do like cr-v, especially 06-10 models. But that's getting a bit old now to buy. Rav4s I really like. I don't drive hard. I'd swear my car burns twice as much gas to go 65 mph as to go 55. Runs out of higher gears and runs higher rpm, and got to be into the gas a lot more to maintain the speed. 55, you're mostly coasting and don't have to push the car.

11. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

That's for sure, but it can make it harder to buy one when you don't have much money. But we've had good luck finding good deals on vehicles.

had a guy we deal with at work, tell me his buddy put almost half a million on a corolla. Furthermore, he doesn't change oil on stuff. Only if it starts ticking. o_O

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Cost of ownership since '10 has been crazy low on my Tundra. Hondas have treated us well too. @ 73mph in the CRV it's at 2250 rpm.

13. lukem

lukem

Tinkering around on a few odds and ends before I put metal on the shop and realized that one overhang is 11" and the opposite side is 18". Overall width is 34' so they weren't saving any material. Who does stupid stuff like this?

14. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    campinspecter's first Toyota was a 1969 Sprinter. He beat it over the gravel roads for 75,000 miles and then got a good trade in value on a 1971 Corolla. We just kept going from there.

15. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

16. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

17. mat60

mat60

18. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Thanks!

19. savemoney

savemoney

20. bogieb