In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. savemoney

savemoney

A Greater Power was walking with you that day! That was certainly in your favor.

2. savemoney

savemoney

[​IMG]
    This was last week before the rain washed the snow away. It is in the town Common in Gardiner Me. about 3 miles from my home.
    [​IMG]
    This one is in Portland Me. this AM. I copied it off FB. Taken by
    Benjamin Williamson Photography

3. savemoney

savemoney

Dennis, Have you considered installing something like a K-1 monitor heater? On those "your are down" days, it will keep you and your home comfortably warm. The oil for it is kept outside. The heater is inside and has a direct vent exhaust. only takes up a small space.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Can't say I've even heard of them Larry. thanks. I'll be checking them out.

5. Warner

Warner

image.jpg Wife had an idea of using a slab for a headboard then changed her mind. So I’ve had this slab hanging around for a while waiting for another idea to pop up. Now she wants the tv mounted on the wall. I cut the slab up and this will be to collect junk under the tv. I have way too much time into sanding and I just realized there will need to be a hole for the wires to go through to the outlet and opening in the dry wall the wires will run through. :doh:

6. savemoney

savemoney

There are other brands, propane, oil, etc. All very efficient. Basically, a space heater just as a wood stove is. Good thing is they use outside air for combustion and vent outside through the wall.

7. Stinny

Stinny

"Yeah, processing wood is getting harder every year".........:handshake: ... it sure does Dave. I've run my saws just a bit over the last 7 years. Seems every time I'd feel my Wheaties, and try to go at it... I'd be on my back for a few days. Add a couple good flops on the ice over those years too and my go at it is spent... :zip: Still have plenty of wood left anywho because I don't burn 24/7. But when it's really cold and snowing outside, you'll always find me down in the cave tendin' the fire. Grateful beyond words... :fire:

8. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Technically, yes, but still staying elsewhere a large portion of my time. Lot of work left yet before it can be lived in full time.

Thanks.

9. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

I'm getting hellbent and determined to build myself a personal use sawmill. These tall hardwood trees, among others on the property, are going to be going, and I don't want to have to just dispose of them now that firewood is no longer required at this time. I could chunk them and sell them as firewood, but I would love to be able to mill planks.

I love trees, but my goal is to have all evergreens. Several baby evergreens are sprouting, and they're going to have room to grow.

2021-10-31-19-24-47-466.jpg

10. Gasifier

Gasifier

Been too wet to do any ground work around here. And too much going on to do any firewood cutting for next year. So I’ve just been enjoying the family, exercising, and working. Waiting for the ground to freeze up.

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

You could say that.......it was my ex-wife!

Wait..........what? You don't think she had anything to do with me falling through that ice, do you? :sherlock:

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well she did mumble something about you and a real icehole...:whistle:

13. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I was working between calls today.
    Got the Timberwolf splitter out and one of the big logs out of the pile. Since the 362 was out of gas I grabbed the 271 I picked up a little while ago.
    The log was 24 ft and the 20” bar was buried in the bottom end as I was bucking it up.
    After not running the TW splitter since last spring, it was a pleasant surprise that it started up on 2nd pull. Been using the huskee 35 ton because it would go vertical.
    Got an IBC tote full plus a armload out of that one log.
    Saw, splitter, tractor, and all else including the weather was nice. That 271 is shaping up to be a great saw and pulled that 20” bar buried in that hardwood like a champ.
    Just wish the mud would dry up or freeze up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Your from Gahhdnah. ;)
    I grew up in East Corinth.

The gazebo is Beautiful !!
    Iirc that's a Novy ( Nova Scotia ) style lob stah boat. The sky looks kinda creepy to me.
    With a sky like that, I wouldn't be goin out in a lobster boat.

15. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I thought Monitor went out of business. Lots of people up here had them as they were less expensive than the Toyo stoves/ heaters.
    The ones that had Monitors can't find parts for them anymore.
    I have a new Toyo , Laser 56 in the back room that I need to install. We had an OM 22 in our cabin in Glennallen. It was just about PERFECT !!!!
    It was a little thing , but it would put out over 50,000 btu. But would also run as low as 14,000 btu and not have Any problems.
    We ran that heater for 11 consequetive winters from 08 to 19. I think I cleaned the screen in the fuel system 2 times. Which was just take it out of its little holder , turn it upside down and tap it a couple times and put it back in. We would burn about 100 gallons of #1 stove oil in a year. We Really liked that Heater !
    Course they stopped making that model.
    We had a Laser 73 in the house we lived in in Hoonah. That was their biggest heater at the time.
    Toyo's have always been good to us.
    Nice and compact. Direct vent, easy pie heater. All of ours had remote tanks. But I have run Toyos and Monitors with the removable tank . I think the tanks held 3 or 4 liters of stove oil or kerosene.
    The only problem with them is they need electricity. Nice thing about a good old fashioned woodstove. All it needs is wood. And a stove pipe chimney.

16. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Having your own mill is a wonderful thing.
    I would Love to have an old BelSaw carriage Mill. But I'm happy with my band sawmill.
    It's not the fastest or the easiest. But it's mine. It sawed a lot of the lumber that we are living inside of right now.

17. Backwoods Savage

Warm night with some rain. 45 and expecting 57. Is this really December?

18. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Y'all weird weather is beyond Odd !
    I know it's December. We only had 4 hours and a bit of sunup today. And we r having quite normal December temps and snow. Usually northern Minnesota will give us a run for the money on low temps. Not this year so far.

bogieb, savemoney, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Actually, not the first time we've seen odd in December. I remember a few others. Probably the weirdest was maybe 79 or 80 when we got to 68 degrees. The state high for December is 72 but I'm not sure of the date or city. I also remember one year in the 60's when we went to a party on New Years eve and walked to the house on planks because of all the mud. But then I also remember being out in -52 degrees probably in 1979 in the UP.

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

Happy Birthday wildwest !!!!! I hope it's not windy today.

upload_2021-12-15_5-50-8.jpeg upload_2021-12-15_5-50-22.jpeg upload_2021-12-15_5-51-10.jpeg upload_2021-12-15_5-51-20.jpeg

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021