In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, a soft shooting gun should help. Backwoods Savage What is your deer gun now? If you're going to be in a blind, you could set up a gun for tripod use, along with a softer shooting gun.

My dad had to do the same. He used to shoot a 300 win mag. While it was a browning BAR with the boss system, it shoots nicely, but even being a heavy gun, that's a lot of cartridge. He switched to an ATI stocked stainless ruger ranch rifle in 6.8 spc. It's a much gentler gun on the shoulder and he found after trial and error that the adjustable stock allowed him to be able to shoot better. That cartridge works very well on deer but there's others out there that will work.

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I've been offered the use of a couple but the good hunting is over with anyway. For sure if this continues I'll have a new rifle before next season...if we can still get ammo.

3. Backwoods Savage

Yes, I have 2 of them. They work but I'd like something a little better and the ability to move it easily.
    Blind by cedar-2.JPG Blind by cedar-3.JPG
    As an alternative if lumber prices don't come down, what do you think of this idea? Perhaps a couple modifications one could improve on it. Uncertain what to use on sides or roof. Also I want a hard floor that I can use a nice swivel chair so I don't have to turn my head as much. Having only one eye means I'm constantly turning my head, which my neck seems to be objecting to.
    24affb6faf2db14ebae8410fdc54c32e.jpg

Marvin, mat60, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

I have a .308 and a 30.30. I chose the 30.30 last year and this year because of not so much recoil.
    Big recoil.png

I also have not hunted from a tree stand for a couple years now and really miss that.

Marvin, mat60, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  5. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

What is kinda funny is that I have been taking bp meds for high bp. They did cut that in half but it been running on the low side since this happened. I have been taking it slow as I do feel a little on the weak side. Just going to take time.

mat60, Chaz, NortheastAl and 7 others like this.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Needs a milk crate! :smoke:

[​IMG]

Marvin, mat60, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  7. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I can empathize with you. I lost use of both legs back in the mid-nineties due to a bomb blast and have fought back/neck issues (and other stuff) ever since. The first back surgery didn't work so they ended up doing a Ray-Cage fusion (titanium spacers) on the lower lumbar region that gave me use of my legs back. They wanted to do a fusion on the cervical region but I opted for six months of traction instead. Had to fight to stay in the Corps (believe it or not....JAG lawyer and everything) but managed to stay in (this was back in the older days when wounded personnel were pushed out...they couldn't even spell IED back in '92). They dug into my back so many times I was going to get a zipper tattooed over the scar. When I got hit by that car bomb in '05, it was a career ender. The overpressure actually twisted the fusion so the vertebrae are always pinching a nerve and the rest of the body is just trashed from so many years of being exposed to overpressure (not necessary to go into what the bombing did to the rest of the body). The vertebrae above the fusion is almost gone and it's bone on bone below the fusion. Not much they can do without major surgery (which might not help anyway) so I've opted for limited mobility and dealing with the ever-present pain until I can't walk again.

I lose use of my left arm from time to time so I ended up getting a disabled crossbow permit (I can draw a compound bow however it's hurts like heck when your left arm gives out and the bow smacks you in the face). I can still use a rifle (for now) but the hard part is getting the body out in the woods to hunt. There are more bad days than good so I cut wood when the body allows me to and stare at my stacks when it doesn't.

I pretty much gave up on hunting a while back but have gotten back into it (mainly black bear). When your back (and rest of the body) hurt every day and make even walking difficult, it's tough to get the motivation to get out there. Best advice I can offer is just force yourself to do it. I've gotten out there hunting where I feel like crap and know I wouldn't have the strength or energy to drag an animal out but at least I'm out in the woods...and that is great therapy.

Here to talk if you ever need to download.

Chvymn99, mat60, Chaz and 12 others like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

What's interesting is that most lever 30/30's actually have a lot more recoil than people expect. Is that a marlin or a winchester 30/30?

Most 30/30 levers have about 13 lbs of kick. That's a lot more than people think it has, especially with a cartridge that really lacks in performance compared to pretty much any other deer cartridge. If you were to get an AR in 6.8 spc, 243, or 6.5 Grendel, you could easily lower your felt recoil by 1/3 less ( even more possibly), and have a much better deer bullet and the weight of the AR all make recoil even less of an issue. The 6.8spc recoil is only slightly more than a 223/.556 in an ar platform. A 30/30 is really only good to 100 or so yards, maybe 140 but they drop so much so quickly. A 6.8 is really a 300 yard deer rifle. I hear great things about the 6.5 Grendel, but they need long barrels and really a Grendel is not as good at shorter shots. A 300blk would work too, but they have drawbacks.

Recoil on a 223 ar-15 is almost non existent. Young kids and small people have no issue with shooting an ar in 6.8spc.

9. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Hang in there Dennis, I can imagine how disappointed you must be. I know a year may seem like a long way off, but remember time flies now that we are older. Take care.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I know a guy;)

11. SD Steve

SD Steve

Going in for a coronavirus test....been feeling pretty crappy since yesterday afternoon. Wish me luck!!

12. Backwoods Savage

Thank you.

For sure I feel for you and know it has ti be tough. Seems like so many of us has our own problems... Mine actually started in 1947 so I've lived with some big time problems, but not as bad as you, and thank you for your service. btw, they never wanted my service although I went through the physical twice. I do have 2 sons though who have served; one in navy and one on air force.

Surgeries sometimes are a crap shoot and I've had 16 of them so far. I've got more scars than most that have been in knife fights. lol

But we keep on hanging on.

Chvymn99, eatonpcat, mat60 and 8 others like this.
  13. savemoney

savemoney

Congratulations to your son for his meat harvesting. Seems he is a very capable young man.

mat60, Horkn, Brandon Scott and 5 others like this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Winchester. I have hunted many times with a 243 but gave it to my oldest son after he got out of the navy.

As for shooting range, it is extremely rare to get even a 100 yard shot on our place so that is not a factor. If I hunt somewhere else the 308 works nicely but I have always liked the way the 30.30 handles and shoots, no matter if a standing shot or running.

I just got another offer of the use of a light rifle while typing this. Amazing.

mat60, Horkn, Brandon Scott and 4 others like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

! Thanks Lyle. You are a great friend.

mat60, Horkn, Brandon Scott and 5 others like this.
  16. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

[​IMG]

Chvymn99, Marvin, mat60 and 7 others like this.
  17. lukem

lukem

If you are keeping it close 44 Mag is a great soft shooting deer rig.

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I might know a guy or 3 that re load.

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Ruger makes 357 and 44 mag in rifle hard hitting short range but 30 30 are out here as in none in state

mat60, Chazsbetterhalf, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  20. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

LOL I was just talking to my driver the other day, and found out that hes into guns and reloads. I told him we need to talk. I've been itching to buy a new 9mm carry gun for more capacity than my 1911, but I just dont want to spend a fortune on 9mm at these prices to prove the gun to be reliable to me so I can trust it. 0.55 cents a round for steel case 9mm is stupid.