In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Probably a lynx

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Alright, front porch/mudroom door in, corded drill bit the dust. New drill charged overnight (woo hoo, much lighter so I can use it easier too!) and custom keyed door knob being installed.

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: He brings a 3/4" screw over so I could see, and says "this is supposed to stop someone from busting down the door?" Hee Hee, he just walked through with 3" brass screws :dex:

And yes, some serious redneck reframing of the crooked mudroom to get a 36" door in to replace the stupid 30" 1950's one, so lots of framing 2x4s to grab into.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Now that's funny! :thumbs:
    X2! :tears:

4. bogieb

bogieb

I'll agree with the size at first glance. But, looking at the face (which is fuzzy and hard to see the details), it seems as if there are side/cheek tufts, which is not characteristic of a mountain lion. I also think there is an ear tuft visible on that right ear (looks like a smear or a stalk in the background). It seems also that the front legs are shorter than the back one. Then when you realize those plants behind it are only 3, maybe 4 feet tall, that cat really isn't that big.

It really looks like a Canadian Lynx to me, but if I'm mistaken on the size compared to the plants, it's a bobcat (they can get up to 70 lbs - or so I read on the interwebz so it must be true).

And no, I'm not a mountain lion denier :)

clemsonfor, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 9 others like this.
  5. bogieb

bogieb

X whatever (I'm two pages back so am not going to count)

clemsonfor, Chvymn99, Chaz and 8 others like this.
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier

XwhateverX2. Happy Birthday MikeInMa !

Chvymn99, Chaz, Brandon Scott and 6 others like this.
  7. Gasifier

Gasifier

I think you are all correct, whoever said Lynx or Bobcat. When I first looked it seemed too muscular to me for one of them, and appears to be larger than it probably is, maybe because of surroundings.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Chvymn99, Chaz, Brandon Scott and 7 others like this.
  8. Gasifier

Gasifier

Caffeine going in. I slept in until 8, and it felt good. Took the entire family (My oldest daughter and her husband home for the week. :rootintootin:) to Lampson Falls again, and had a great time.
    9232136B-8145-4C35-93B2-D47818909766.jpeg

Swimming by some and walking by all. I did a little extra hiking around for some exercise. Beautiful spot.

Then picked up Sergi’s Pizza on the way home. Wife made a tossed salad to go with. One cold beer with it. :drool:

Raining here and same predicted all day and evening. This should be a good soaking. Needing one here. I may try to get a pile of brush burned today. Since it’s going to rain all day. If I can get it lit.

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

I know you guys don’t like fires much. But it’s absolutely pouring rain here. And going to rain all day. Yea!
    58B4B061-A3F6-4740-9147-A027545EA3CE.jpeg

10. tree killer

tree killer

Sorry to hear this savemoney .

11. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I think we are going to have a rain free day today. We are in for cooler, wetter weather for the rest of the week. Indoor projects unless it is nice enough to work outside. Going for tea this afternoon with my co-workers so I hope it is nice enough to be outside. Gasifier it looks quite green around your place for this time of year. Nice view from the house.

12. Gasifier

Gasifier

Yes. We have had a couple of rains over the last two weeks so everything is doing well now.

bogieb, Chvymn99, Woodwidow and 9 others like this.
  13. tree killer

tree killer

Year we finished our house I was checking the positive drain to make sure nothing was blocking it (@500 through the woods). Big cat tracks everywhere. My dad saw it one morning crossing the road 1/2 mile from my house. Reports of it being seen in several areas around town then crossing the Penobscot River. I have a good friend who at the time was still a game warden, he said best thing that could happen would be for someone to run it over and then the state would have to admit they are here. We never saw sign of it after that year here but we are always hearing sightings of them around. Wolves, someone shot a huge coyote one year, took the biologists a year to determine it was a wolf and arrested the guy. Bunch of BS if you ask me. The animal in this picture does not look like a mountain lion to me. Be nice to see a better photo of the head. Tail looks Lynx or Bobcat but can’t see the ears very clearly. We do have lots of both of those around here.

bogieb, Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and 9 others like this.
  14. tree killer

tree killer

I thought there were only Cougars in CT.

clemsonfor, bogieb, Chvymn99 and 11 others like this.
  15. savemoney

savemoney

Many thanks for the comments about our family loss. So hard to accept the reality of the loss when someone is so young.

bogieb, Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and 7 others like this.
  16. savemoney

savemoney

We have the big cats here, I mean right here. One was shot on the corner of my house lot a few years back. I have a picture of it somewhere. I've seen others since then. I always thought they were shy, but not so much now. When they think there is dinner around, they come around.

bogieb, Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and 7 others like this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

And here in MI that same claim of no cats for about 50 years. Then when they finally got one to test, it came from SD. Same old song, same old dance.

The same thing happened with Wolverine. Even though Mi used to be known as the Wolverine State, the state had been rid of them for hundreds of years. Then one day one showed up. Naturally the DNR just laughed. "Can't happen" they said. But now that same DNR has the carcus of that wolverine mounted.

clemsonfor, bogieb, Chvymn99 and 8 others like this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Another cool morning with just a little short rain. At 1:00 it is still 60 outside. Feels like fall for sure!

Woods trail in fall.jpg

19. mat60

mat60

Sorry about you and your family loss.

20. Horkn

Horkn

You didn't like the werewolf ID? :rofl: :lol: