In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

The bathroom vent cap is just about finished. It was just a bit out of reach standing on the lower roof peak. I ended up building a platform and it was easy after that. Just need a little caulk around it and tear it down tomorrow. This cat is getting too old to be playing on roofs. I was making the wife nervous being up there.

The larger picture window below I installed in late November. I'll finish the cedar siding work and paint to finish that off. That new window was a huge energy saver over the winter replacing the old wood framed window with no weatherstripping.

61534.jpeg

The wood stove install will be on the left pitch of the lower section of roof. I have staging and ladders with hooks that will make this job easier. I think it is a 10 pitch, haven't taken the angle yet. I can't wait for the install this year.

20200404_141640.jpg

2. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I made it outside and worked for all of about 30 minutes pulling loose bark off oak that is going to be final stacked for next winter.

Then my daughter wanted a push on the swings. I gotta move next years wood asap so I can stack 24-25's oak back there.

3. bogieb

bogieb

Is that ladder really holding the stage, or is that an optical illusion?

That will be a heart breaker cutting into that roof for the chimney. Looks pretty new. Of course just the thoughts of a nice warm stove there is enough to make it worth it!

4. Horkn

Horkn

Eh, yeah, there's that.

I must've pulled an oblique muscle as my left side hurts. Not certain exactly how I did it, but it doesn't feel good. Good thing that drinking doesn't aggravate it. :yes:

5. fishingpol

fishingpol

The ladder laying on the roof has two ladder hooks over the peak. There is a large rope tied to that ladder over the peak down to a metal railing. I felt completely safe up there. :yes:

6. Midwinter

Midwinter

I sewed face masks most of the day. At first I was making pretty cloth ones, but now I've switched to making cheap disposable ones, in quantity. I've got two sewing machines, but one was slightly out of whack. My husband took it to the repair shop, which was flat out busy. Discount on repairs if you're making masks.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:(

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

9. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    What are you using to make the disposables? My daughter is making headbands with buttons for nurses. The girls want me to make masks to wear around Mom. I think she will be horrified and probably won't be able to hear me. I have to see her on Tuesday. I have been considering making them anyway.

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

Zep industrial shop towels and string. The string runs in a channel around the edge, over the ears, and ties beneath the chin. I may tape a twist ties on the bridge of the nose for a better fit. IMG_20200404_59454.jpg IMG_20200404_7950.jpg

11. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

There you go... Looks amazing... :drool: I've been craving pizza all day long... But I'm not buying out... or allowed to get into my freezer for a frozen one... :zip: ... I have to eat left over chicken from lastnight....:doh:... Oh well.... I'll get it eventually... I'll have to put that on my grocery list for the next time I go shopping hopefully in two weeks...:cool:

12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yea... Not too keen on heights myself... Just dont mend as fast as we use to...:pain:

13. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Looks good... We got a couple of ladies at work that are wearing something of that nature.... Do you have a pattern that your working off of?

14. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

That looks very professional. I like the way the ties are. I think I will check out my fabric stash and see what I have in tightly woven material. I have lots of double knit fabric from the 80s but it is too porous to work. campinspecter uses old T shirts for rags; no shop towels here.

15. Midwinter

Midwinter

No pattern, but this is how the stitching goes. I make three accordion pleats and stich through them on the sides. IMG_20200404_148.jpg

16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Lots of patterns on the internet as they are really in demand. If you are sewing for a hospital, they are looking for headbands with buttons and surgical caps. Homemade masks aren't good enough.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

I'm using shop towels because they are supposed to be good filters. They are easy to breathe through, too.
    Using blue shop towels in homemade face masks can filter particles 2x to 3x better than cotton, 3 clothing designers discover after testing dozens of fabrics

18. Horkn

Horkn

Contactless delivery or pick up for the chain pizza places is the easy fix.

19. Midwinter

Midwinter

Not for hospitals, just for regular people like us to wear to the grocery store.

20. Woodwidow

Woodwidow