In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Horkn

Horkn

What year Duramax? I believe they have a couple thermostats. Not like most vehicles that only have 1 t stat. You might want to change them if they have not been changed. Also, do you have any sort of block off for the grill?

Upon doing a quick search, it sounds like Duramax motors are cold blooded and are picky about using the acdelco thermostats.

NortheastAl and wildwest like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Its a 2005, I have one gauge for the turbo/tranny thing and another one for the engine. I do not have a block off, guessing that is the purpose of the cardboard infront of some grills out here? And YES it's cold blooded, even compared to the 99 F250. The Blaze heats up MUCH faster, but the rubber gaskets on the exterior doors/windows are all disintegrating, and that is, well, a project for another year, sothe wind blows right through it.

Horkn , it does warm up, just not fast enough for me.

bogieb, NortheastAl and Horkn like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, the cardboard does help. Try that first.

4. Stinny

Stinny

Good monin folks... :coffee:... if you're in the snow dump areas, be safe driving today. Hope some of you are home when it gets really bad, and not getting caught in it. Should be over here by 11-12 tonight. Clean up in the monin... :tractor:

5. bogieb

bogieb

I'm leaving work early, about noonish, so I can beat the worst of it and the worst of the traffic later in the day. I figured schools would cancel, but it seems a lot are going this morning and letting out at noon. So I will be fighting school traffic all 30 miles home :picard:. That probably means my drive time will double. Unfortunately can't leave earlier because of a scheduled meeting. And if I leave later then there is the possibility of a key road (for me) being closed and the drive will turn into 45 miles and 2.5 hours. AARRGGHH

6. Stinny

Stinny

Ouch... 2.5 hours still isn't so bad as long as you arrive... ;)

Horkn, bogieb, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Bread and milk.....bead and milk!

Horkn, bogieb, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  8. Midwinter

Midwinter

9. rottiman

rottiman

Good luck and safe travels for you folks in the snow area. We are on the north edge and only supposed to get a inch or two. Sounds like the North East is gonna get pounded. Remember, get lots of milk, bread and T.P.................

Horkn, Stinny, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  10. Midwinter

Midwinter

hpgn7.jpg

Horkn, Stinny, bogieb and 1 other person like this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Received notice more seeds we ordered have been shipped.

Yesterday we started receiving spring catalogs other than seed catalogs. Whoops. Got 2 more seed catalogs too. Are they trying to tell us something?

Horkn, bogieb, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Well they cancelled school at 6 last night. Because Vermont might get snow in February I don't get it:loco: :crazy:. Less than a foot expected, not a big deal, good news my Lil girl and I are gonna have some:tractor: time.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Me personally, I don't like to rev a cold engine...not even gas, but especially a turbo diesel...might not hurt it, but definitely not good for it.
    What about using one of those cig lighter plug electric heaters? Or are you not talking about heat in the cab?

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes, I am talking about heating up the cab. Thanks, I was a bit worried that revving for 4 blocks on a cold engine might be bad, now I can't deny it lol. Thanks for the idea, I've had the all in one plug in's, but they are not washable and get icky after awhile. Currently I have an inverter for the cig lighter and a home electric blanket (washable & gets much warmer) in there, stopped using it because of the cords and blanket are a pita, but I'll plug it back in. Thank god spring is around the corner. I keep eyeing those heated jackets (one's on sale now for $149), but I don't need heat on my torso, I need it for arms and legs.....

Guess I should get more serious about replacing the gaskets in the Blazer, the high idle heats it up in just a few minutes. And it's black, so the sun helps a lot.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice to see you Stinny :) Too cute, you are like a kid in a candy store with snow storms (you too Scotty Overkill )

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Ok, so a buddy calls me, he's got a job interview today, and we're expecting 8 inches of snow. His spare car tires were bald. Son had an accident with his regular car . He had new tires just didn't have time to get them mounted and balanced before the interview . So I said take my car and go to your job interview. While he was gone I had him put his car in my garage and I took the tires off called up made an appointment and when he got back from his interview. He was giving me some gas money. I put tires and rims in my trunk, told him to go get tires mounted and balanced.

Sometimes in life, its nice to help out a friend. He got an offer letter, 4 dollar an hour raise. :thumbs:

He said if I was a good friend my garage would be heated and have air tools. I got the tools just not enough power in garage to run 240v compressor,YET.
    :heidi::p:rofl: :lol:

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Oh cause rules is rules 0207181527a.jpg

Wasn't completely altruistic he needed snows tires to get out of the driveway.:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

18. bogieb

bogieb

As usual when I plan on leaving by a certain time, things crop up at work so I didn't get out until 1. That may have been good though as my drive was only 1.5 hours and not a lot of traffic.

19. bogieb

bogieb

Very nice of you - a true friend!

And, good for him getting an offer that included a raise!

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

x2 Canadian border VT, and I've seen you extend the same to people here including me.