In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bogieb

bogieb

I'm still waiting for mine to dump. Hasn't cleared since at least a week before Christmas. Hopefully tomorrow's temp will start a slide!

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Headed out to the cottage today and snow-blowed (?) the driveway. Gonna get some more snow starting tomorrow night and Thu also; so there will be a nice clean driveway for it to fill in!

Sleds were screaming past on the lake. No way would I even consider driving one of those all day with all the noise they make! Just down right plain old obnoxious.

3. bogieb

bogieb

Me neither unless it is really pounding - but hear that on a regular roof anyway. Both my houses went from shingles to Standing seam and never noticed any difference in noise.

4. Warner

Warner

I would agree with Midwinter the rain noise isn’t a big deal for us. Biggest thing I don’t like is how the snow slides off and is like cement when it hits the ground. Sometimes the blower won’t cut it not enough weight to dig into it. Other than that I wouldn’t do any other roof on my “forever home” . If you arnt planning on staying then it’s a big expense that you may not get back.

5. Warner

Warner

Standing seam roof is the bees knees! :thumbs:

6. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah, most times I can't use the blower on it because it is so compacted. I use a flat bottomed shovel to cut it into blocks. This year I got an tool that is much like a turf edger and it slides under the mass pretty well to help break it up.

7. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

It's really that much more than asphalt shingles? I knew it was more, didn't realize just how much.

8. Midwinter

Midwinter

I had to shovel it up today. Under the snow was a half inch of ice from the ice storm, remember that? The ice and snow all mixed together when it came down. Had to get it up before it froze solid overnight.

9. bogieb

bogieb

It is pretty expensive to do a standing seam roof. 2-3 times more. I don't know about the other type of metal roof though.

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

Was about 17K as I recall.

11. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah, that ice will really kill any chance of using a blower on it. Supposed to be in the 40's tomorrow!

12. bogieb

bogieb

:bug:. Mine was about 10k. Probably smaller house though.

13. Warner

Warner

Yup like has been said sanding seam is expensive. But if done correctly you have no chance of leaks for a lloonngg time.

14. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I figure mine will be about 8-10K for shingles. My roof is about 16-18 years old, I'm hoping to buy a piece of property and build my forever home before this roof needs to be replaced.

15. bogieb

bogieb

Pretty nice that this roof should last 30 years. I probably won't last that long, so happier than heck I won't have to worry about it.

16. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Mild weather forecasted for weekend......

This pile is almost empty.......maybe I'll have the chance to add to it again :)

DSCN4282.JPG

17. Warner

Warner

Interesting story:
    My folks put the roof on about 10 years ago. A nice fella in a suit sold them the roof. A week or so later a guy with a trailer showed up and extruded all the panels needed for the job. Next shows up installers, these guys were jokers! Did a terrible job installing. The dude with the suit came out and looked and a new roof was to be installed. The metal was torn off and wast going to be thrown out. I asked the guys to be careful and stack it off to the side(new crew). Got a roof for my camp out of it. They said it was 17k material they pulled off:faint:

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

The metal roof systems should all be quiet enough not to matter just as long as you're living in a climate that dictates the need for attic insulation. Friends down in the Southern states have always mentioned the noise it makes during a rain storm.

19. Midwinter

Midwinter

We got ours specifically because of ice dams. But, if it stays below freezing, the snow and ice never slides off. The February of 2015 when we got all that snow and it stayed cold, the weight actually bent some of the standing seams.

20. Midwinter

Midwinter

I used my leftovers for my woodshed roof. I posted the leftover leftovers on Craigslist, and they were gone in an hour.