In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whats the Funniest thing ever happened to you hauling wood?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by B.Brown, Feb 25, 2020.

1. B.Brown

B.Brown

I've got a good one! My father in law and i used to go wood cutting on the weekends. He was a great guy, loved cutting wood, i mean LOVED IT!! He was a super energetic guy of about 62 i mean a real dynamo type of guy. Construction worker, and wound tighter than a 8 day clock most of the time. Drank a pot of coffee every morning around 5 am, and normally used 4-5 teaspoons of sugar per cup, plus cream. Ok, you get the idea what he was like, lol. So, we head out one saturday morning, early like 3am, as we are heading down the freeway, with his pickup and a triple axle trailer behind. We see a guy along the road, with a pickup and trailer loaded with boats. i mentioned it looked like he needed help. So, the freeway is pretty empty in the eastern part of the state at 3 am, in the desert. So, Bill my Father in law. slowed down, flipped a U turn in the east bound lane and we went back to help the guy.
    He was hauling about 4 boats back to idaho, had got sleepy, parked on the shoulder with his flashers on, fell asleep and ran down his battery.

We had cables so we jump started him. I looked and noticed his front head light was out, so i ran back and yelled at him that the headlight was out. Turned back around and ran toward the pickup, only to see my father in law, looking in the drivers side mirror and i KNEW what he was going to do. He floored the pickup and away he went, well i was running along side the trailer, with my left hand on the top rail. I was thinking pretty fast so, i thought, jump on, he's not going to stop, so, i ran faster, jumped, and caught the side rail and held on! All of a sudden the old 350 gets kicked out of passing gear into 3rd gear! We are flying down the dark freeway with me hanging on the side of the trailer in the dark. I think, he don't have a clue i'm out her, well i'd better settle in, till he stops.

So, it throw my leg over the top wooden side rail walk up to the front of the trailer sit, down, pull the collar of my coat up around my neck who know's when he'll stop?? About 2-3 min later, he slows down, pulls off the shoulder a little ways, i get out of the trailer and get in the pickup, and he says, ''what in the hell were you doing back there?" ha,ha, I told him about the headlight, how i ran back. He said, he heard my door close, and took off. Then he said, he told ''me'' boy that guy was sure lucky we stopped wasn't he? And slapped at my arm, did it 2 times hitting a empty seat and realized i wasn't in the cab, pulled over and the rest is history. lol. THAT was my father in law, great guy, Boy oh boy do i EVER miss him, and his wife!! He was a WW ll vet, Proud American, and a super fun, energetic, hard working guy, i feel myself Privileged to be allowed to be a member of his family and worked side by side with him on many construction jobs with him.

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Wow! That could have been one nasty ride! :rofl: :lol:

Horkn, rottiman, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Once he finally pulled over, you should have run up to the driver's side window and while panting/gasping for air said "I thought I 'd never catch you!"

Mwalsh9152, Horkn, rottiman and 11 others like this.
  4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Great story.

Horkn, rottiman, metalcuttr and 4 others like this.
  5. Woodsman

Woodsman

Awesome short story! Sounds like one hell of a man. Also makes me think about the people in my life who I feel proud of honored to know. Thanks for sharing.

Horkn, B.Brown, brenndatomu and 5 others like this.
  6. Loon

Loon

Very cool story Brown.:yes: My father in law woulda been laughing at me when he first floored it.:picard::coldone:

Horkn, brenndatomu, rottiman and 4 others like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Not too funny at the time, but shortly after I was laughing.

Pulled onto the highway once and heard a noise behind me. Looked in side mirror and I saw a chainsaw exactly like mine laying on the blacktop! Luckily, no traffic to speak of except for a vehicle about 1/2 mile back. Backed up and picked up my saw and continued on my way. By the time all was said and done, that car had caught up and there it is my postmaster with a big grin on his face. He asked me about it next time I picked up the mail.

Good news, no damage to the saw, just a couple scuffs. :yes:

8. Backwoods Savage

I ran over my saw...twice. Thankfully it was with the atv so no damage done. Actually I did feel it but thought I was just backing over a log at the time.

9. rottiman

rottiman

Why twice? Didn't you think you killed it with the first pass..................................:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

10. Backwoods Savage

As stated. I thought I had run over a log.

Chazsbetterhalf, Horkn and rottiman like this.