In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's on the grill or smoker?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Genius, Jun 20, 2016.

1. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

3. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I am a Walmart shopper. I will stick around!!

Eckie and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  5. 0rion

0rion

I have certain stores I go for certain things but l always will grab wally world stuff if they have a deal on something. I was there several years ago and while I was looking the guy came out and marked the briskets down because they were close to date. I waited until he was done and bought all of them haha

Eckie likes this.
  6. 0rion

0rion

Wife and daughter went to do some Kent State stuff since that's where she's going so me and the youngest were left alone. I trashed the kitchen making breakfast for dinner but me and him feasted and it was nice and quiet with just the 2 of us. My biscuits were not good and stuck to the pan but he didn't seem to mind. We both had to rest afterwards because we ate so hard haha PXL_20240606_213017434.jpg PXL_20240606_211712626.jpg

eatonpcat, yooperdave, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  7. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

8. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

9. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

10. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

11. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

She's looking purty good Minnie...... 20240530_184407.jpg

yooperdave, eatonpcat and MikeInMa like this.
  12. woody5506

woody5506

Are there any pellet guys here? Do I dare open up the can of worms? My neighbor recently got a pit boss pellet "smoker" and it's only pushed me more and more to appreciate charcoal and real wood. I've eaten a lot of different food off his pellet grill now and there's just no comparison between that and what comes off my weber smokey mountain.

13. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I almost went pellet to make a long smoke easier but it just wasn't doing it for me so I went with a true stick burner.
    It makes great BBQ , but yes ; it is a little more work for sure but worth every bit of the time put into it.

The plus side is wood is no problem and there is a good variety available around here.

14. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've put many a butt and ribs through my WSM.

I have the older one.

I need to fire that thing up. I have BB ribs in the freezer.

15. woody5506

woody5506

They are bullet proof. I bought my first one 11 or 12 years ago and although I'm not using it constantly (especially because I have 2 other WSM's now as well) it's just a simple reliable design that requires basically no maintenance and puts out quality food every time. The biggest learning curve with them it seems is that people want to constantly feed them wood, and they end up over smoking stuff and blaming it on the smoker. I'm just tired of people I know raving about their pellet smokers because quite honestly there's no comparison between pellet "smoke" and real smoke from real wood in an actual smoker.

Barcroftb, MikeInMa and Eggshooterist like this.
  16. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I "suffered" with a treager pellet oven for 14 years and recently went back to charcoal / wood. No comparison in flavor. There are semi automatic charcoal grills now that can smoke low and slow or sear at high heat. All without you babysitting it for hours. I wish I had switched back sooner.

eatonpcat, MikeInMa and woody5506 like this.
  17. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I got to the point where I only cooked pizza, whole turkey or chicken and salmon on my treager. Everything else was a let down going from a weber charcoal grill. I thought I could have gas convenience and charcoal flavor in a pellet unit. I was sadly mistaken. I have a tread on what I'm currently doing with that treager until my new grill shows up.

Making grilling "grate" again

18. woody5506

woody5506

I've just had pretty much "everything" off a pellet grill/smoker at this point...burgers, steaks, ribs, smoked chuck, chicken/wings....All of it just has a certain something wrong with it that I can't really put my finger on but I think it's the fact that it's basically fake saw dust (pellet) smoke that really just doesn't taste right to me. It's artificial. It also seems like a lot of the longer smokes end up drying out the meat. Funny how despite their convenience they seem to actually be pretty fussy units in their own way. Sure they hold temp at the push of a button, but why is everything I'm being fed just seem totally dried out? Hard to say since I'm not the one cooking it, but also I am grateful to have a neighbor who shares as much as he does. The favor is always returned though and I do believe I'm slowly changing his mind with charcoal truly being the way.

19. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

After owning quite a few pellet smokers over the years,I'm done with them.seems like the food always comes out with a pellicle on it...its forced air with a fan,kinda like a convection oven.those masterbuilt gravity cookers have a fan too,wonder if the food comes out the same?

20. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I've only had BBQ on a pellet smoker once so not much experience eating off them and it wasn't that great but I've had worse. I am sure there are pellet folks that can make killer BBQ.

However it was no comparison flavor wise to what I make on my cheaper offset.

I've come to learn that I am simply just a pyro and love playing with fire and get rewarded at the end for it.

Yes def a little more work with baby sitting a fire but as stated I enjoy it!

Best part is my wife and kids absolutely love my BBQ they ask for it all the time, makes me feel good.