In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's a rick of firewood?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Lucy, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Loon

Loon

Wonder if he'd deliver over here TD? As I'd be in for a whack of it for that price!:coldone:

TurboDiesel likes this.
  2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Seasoned around here is a pretty loose term, would that apply to just about anywhere? Food for thought. Anyways seasoned i can see maybe it making a cut in the spring, drying summer and fall (that’s a stretch with the humidity going to different parallels) then sold. In the interval. By next year its fine...depending on what it is.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Seasoned wood here is stuff that I've watched dry in my stacks for a certain time dependent on species. Everything else I consider "green".

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

^^^ what he said is best way!

Backwoods Savage and FatBoy85 like this.
  5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yes now to me that’s my rule. Stack it and don’t touch it until its gone at least a full year. Softwoods are that generally or soft hardwoods as well.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. BDF

BDF

I believe it is the same as a face cord, which again, I believe is a 4' high by 8' long stack but only one row deep. So of course the first variable in that is the length of the splits.

But as others have said, it is not a 'real' measurement so not really defined.

When buying firewood, I measure the box it comes in (truck, trailer, whatever) and if the wood is neatly stacked, a cord is 128 cubic feet, if loose- packed, I use the number 180 cubit feet though that is not defined either but is the usually accepted figure.

Brian

7. BDF

BDF

Ouch! Prices here are falling a bit and seem to be hovering around $175 to $200 / cord, all hardwood, cut, split. delivered.

For $375 / cord, I would expect some of it to be in the form of chairs and coffee tables....

:)

But with #2 fuel oil around $2.35 / gal., I do not believe anyone could sell firewood for $375 / cord.

Brian

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I doubt he'd go north of the county border. lol

Backwoods Savage and Loon like this.