In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Loon, Jul 12, 2018.

  1. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
  2. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    I get pretty pizzed when I start a fire in the winter and it smokes bad before getting up to temp. I'd be REALLY pizzed if it was a nice summer evening and I had to close my windows and turn on tr ge AC because my next door neighbor was cooking on that and smoking me out.
     
    Loon, Jack Straw, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  3. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Perfect example of why I live in the country. Eliminates the "Pain in the ARSE neighbor factor".......COMPLETELY !!!!!!!!!
     
    Loon, UncleJoe, Jack Straw and 3 others like this.
  4. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,249
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    So wood smoke is poison, but "2 cans of Febreze" isn't?! :headbang:
    Sounds like this lady needs to get on the 3 year plan for her wood if that thing is smoking that bad!
     
    Loon, Jack Straw, rottiman and 2 others like this.
  5. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,323
    Likes Received:
    31,410
    Location:
    Over here
    I guess the affected party needs to move then? I see no other plausible action considering the stove operator is not breaking any laws.
     
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    It certainly can be a problem and no doubt they are probably trying to burn green wood. If the wood was dry it should not be a big problem but still can be a problem. The biggest problem though is living so close together. I'm glad I'm in the country.

    However, even in the country we can have problems. Case in point is our one and only close neighbor who likes to burn crap all summer long and I have no idea what all he burns but it stinks to high heaven many times. Of course, at night it is the worst with the air being more still there is not enough breeze to move out the smoke or odors. Many times we have to shut up the house and turn the air conditioner on else we can't stand the stink.

    Then there was the time a fellow, 1/4 mile or more away from us decided to burn a bunch of trees and brush. The wind shifted and the smoke came at us big time. It hurt too because we had just installed new carpeting and was gone for a time but when we returned, the house stunk badly and the smoke was so thick it burned our eyes and throats. Trouble is, in the country here, you can have fires like that even without permits. However, you can not make it difficult for your neighbors like that fellow did. We did call the fire department and they put the fire out else that one would have burned for several days. I had asked that man once to not burn when the wind was in that direction and he had promised he would not. Wrong. He forgot. Now I'm the goat for calling the fire department. Doen't bother me though.
     
    Loon, Midwinter and brenndatomu like this.
  7. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    We have a neighbor that does something with fish on the grill. Whatever it is they don't smell like very fresh fish. They smell like a dumpster full of fish after three hot Summer days in a row. It's not garbage as far as we know so there's not much you can do. Luckily he doesn't do it very often.

    As far as the story: I'd want to know the cookstove was being fed well seasoned wood and I'd want the neighbor to close their windows if it would help or quit the beechin'.
    Although, from the pics, it sure is a smoky burn when the pic was taken ( which could have been from getting the fire started ) and it doesn't look like a reasonably taller chimney would help all that much.
    I sure would like to drop some well seasoned wood by to see if it helps, though it's not absolutely certain the problem is the visible smoke or the smell and with a wood stove there's always a little bit of smell.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Loon and Midwinter like this.
  8. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    My personal bias, but wood burning should be done in the winter for heat. I don't like making smoke. I feel bad for the neighbors if I accidentally burn wood that results in smoke for an extended period. Firing up a smoke dragon to make breakfast seems kind of silly. What's wrong with the stove burner?
     
    Backwoods Savage and Loon like this.