In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What mill do you recommend?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Holland Dell, Jan 12, 2021.

1. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I'll be following this as well.

2. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Which model did you order?

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

hm126

mike bayerl likes this.
  4. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

What motor did you go with?
    I see where they are back ordeo a few weeks.

5. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Sorry guys
    Had a brain malfunction and put in the wrong model
    I ordered the hm122 and not the 126. model
    I got the 91\2 horsepower.
    When I ordered the told me a few weeks. Actually arrived in a week from my order date
    way sooner than I expected and my area where it is going is not ready yet. Now snow so it looks like another delay
    I'll will post any updates when as they come in
    For now it will stay in the crate

I bought it for my own use and kind of as a hobby type machine. Anything larger than what it can handle I could always rough it out to size that will fit with the Alaskan Mill. For my use it will be way more than what I need.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Mag Craft, Husky Man and mike bayerl like this.
  6. Husky Man

Husky Man

Hi Buzz Saw, not all “Investments” have a Financial ROI.

My saws are a “Practical Hobby “ as we mainly Heat with wood “Forced Air Electric Furnace “ is a major budget buster, but I “COULD “ get by with a LOT fewer saws ( but WHY, would I WANT to???)

My 3120XP and Mills, are like my Model Railroading, an “Investment “ in my Mental Health ( though it IS Debatable, just how successful that has been), rather than a “ Financial Investment “. I do some day hope to develop milling into an Income Hobby, there are some Tables and other Furniture Ideas, that I would like to try out, and in my area, I think that I would have an excellent market for what I want to try building, just a bit short of TIME, and WORKSPACE at the moment

If you ENJOY your new mill, it could be money well spent

Doug

Mag Craft and buzz-saw like this.
  7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks for the encouraging words.
    I understand where you are coming from and will just have to see how things play out.

Have always enjoyed wood and woodworking so this might be what I need to proceed forward with doing just that , since not getting younger as the days go by.
    I am planning on starting out with a kitchen table that I recently cut some slabs for with the CSM. This will certainly help with the rest needed to complete what I have started and sure I could get creative and find some other things to keep me busy.

Two co-workers have already asked if I would be interested in milling some for them. One of which is a very avid woodworker and has someone that has been doing his milling in the past , this might be something to consider once up and running and figuring out what the heck I'm doing.

Like you mention " Time " , I don't have much of that to spare on a daily basis but might need to make more to do what I enjoy instead of running myself ragged doing so many other things.

Oh yeah and " Mental Health " I won't go there. Just ask my wife she can explain.

I appreciate your input !

buZZsaw BRAD and Husky Man like this.
  8. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Oh oh....I just watched a video on sharpening and setting the tooth angle with Woodland Mills' sharpener and tooth setter. Let the checkbook carnage begin! The mill headcover is pretty nice too. I wonder if they make one in suede with a lamb's wool liner? :heidi:

buzz-saw likes this.
  9. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I saw the sharpener video , pretty cool .
    No checkbook for me.
    I just use a credit card. LOL

I need to step away from the computer now , cold and snowing like crazy so not much else to do except some online shopping.
    This could get ugly in a hurry.:faint:

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Sorry have not been around computer plowing snow:mad:I see from later posts your mill is 91/2 hp I do not recommend the 7degree blades on a low hp mill probably should start with 10 degree JB

mike bayerl likes this.
  11. IonicTick

IonicTick

How do you like the 122? I know this is an old thread, but I've been toying with pulling the lever on the same rig and figured I'd ask here versus starting a new thread.

12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Well to be honest I received it back in January and have just gotten around to setting it up.

Between the weather and everything else going on I just had no time.

I assembled it last week and can say that it is really nicely done , it is well thought out and well put together with nice fit and finish.
    Hope to get enough time this weekend to get the rails set-up and leveled off and hope to be milling sometime next week so I will be sure to post any updates.

I was snooping around this week and looking at Woodland website and this is showing backorder until late September so hope you are not in a rush for it.

13. IonicTick

IonicTick

Appreciate the update.

I'm in zero rush. My logs are stacked in a pile and the ends are painted with latex. There's still a ton of construction work going on at the site, so I can't do much for at least a month. And then July is insanely busy for me.

Looking at bringing in someone with a saw and paying for a day. Really want to see what I end up with first. Though the list of things that I can use unstamped lumber for is rapidly growing.

14. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Well all I can say is " It's about time ! "

I spent a good part of the week finally finishing the set-up of the mill. Up and running yesterday mid morning and made my first cuts on some smaller elm logs I had sitting aside from the firewood pile. Then BRAD stopped by and was nice enough to drop off some cedar he had put off to the side so those were next on.
    Have to say that I am very pleased , ran for a couple hours with zero issues , unless just nicking the log dog with the blade on a final cut trying to squeeze out one last board. Guess it is not a question of " if " but more of a " when " moment.

Not sure I will look at logs as firewood any more but have a vision of boards instead.

Just a couple quick pictures from yesterday.
    ( Hey BRAD if you have any pictures from yesterday as well feel free to post them ; Thanks for the fun !!! ) Mill 1 - Copy.jpg Mill 3 (2) - Copy.jpeg Mill 3 (1) - Copy.jpeg

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Thank goodness a :ithappened: Finally!!

Husky Man likes this.
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

An awesome set up. It was really cool to see it in action. Been a long time coming. The red cedar (juniper) logs i had scrounged a couple years ago. I normally dont take any softwoods, but saw (no pun intended) the potential in these. IMG_5181.JPG
    His new tractor made moving the logs easy. IMG_5183.JPG
    First log IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5185.JPG We both had chit eatin grins after the first pass. IMG_5186.JPG
    Some beautiful boards. Glad i had the foresight to see them for lumber value. IMG_5187.JPG IMG_5188.JPG
    I think his heart sunk when i told him the first milling was elm and not oak! Still nice stock though. IMG_5189.JPG IMG_5190.JPG
    Like him ill never look at logs as firewood anymore. My dilemma is how to get them on the PU. I had a hard enough time getting this pin oak log there. Heavy SOB. It awaits the mill. IMG_5182.JPG IMG_5182.JPG
    Now im trying to figure a winch set up for the truck bed.

17. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Well after looking through this thread, I am reminded yet again of why this site is known to be dangerous for :makeitrain"...But that is okay...at least we are all often productive.

Looks like a great set up, and beautiful boards buzz-saw.

18. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks , Hey it's either spend it now or I would have to have an open casket when I die , if I take it with me they wouldn't be able to close the lid.

No seriously.....

I have worked long and hard at a second job for play money for things like this.
    Looked long and hard for a tractor , wanted used ; everyone wants a million dollars for beat up junk and some even want money for the fuel they have used. I finally gave up on used and bought new.
    I can still hear my wife ; WTF , If you want a tractor just go buy a new one , do you really want someone else's headache ?

The mill was a pipe dream for quite some time , did I need it = NO. Am I happy I did so = you betch'ya. Going to be a great toy and hobby.
    Makes boards and still plenty of firewood from cut-offs

I could be sitting in some smokey bar and doing drugs but choose not to. This is a drug ( of sorts ) and my out.

Not to mention I have a great wife that supports me with this type of thing , not sure how she puts up with my cranky azz sometimes but she does.

19. IonicTick

IonicTick

Those boards all turned out great! The Elm and Cedar both look great!

buzz-saw likes this.
  20. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks ,
    Very happy for out of the gate but there is a learning curve like anything else.
    One bite at a time and will just keep nibbling away at it.

Husky Man and buZZsaw BRAD like this.