In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What kind of gloves do y'all use?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Sirchopsalot Jr., Nov 13, 2022.

1. Sirchopsalot Jr.

Sirchopsalot Jr.

20221111_120508.jpg I do a most of our splitting my hand when we find a good score. The cheapo Harbor Freight gloves rarely last for more than a few months before my dad and I start finding holes in them, so we always end up having to buy more. The thinner material sports very handy dexterity at the cost of durability; it would be nice to find a glove that properly balances both, even if it is for a loftier price. Is it simply the woodman's plight to wear through gloves like my ex wore through my patience or have any of you found a set that lasts you like a good cow hide belt?

Pic unrelated, good doggy for scale :)

Sirchopsalot hehe poke

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  2. Sawdust Man

Sawdust Man

Gloves die, no way around it.... that's why we use em...to keep our hands from dying.
    I use showa atlas gray gloves in the winter, and leather gloves in the summer.
    Chinese leather gloves are pretty much a waste of $ in my experience.....the best leather gloves I've found are the gold star made in USA line, they also have non USA gloves, but they are not worth the money imo.

Showa atlas are by far the longest lasting dipped gloves I've found.

Edit:
    I lied, the leather gloves are Golden Stag brand.

Golden Stag Gloves

Ronaldo, Chaz, Barcroftb and 2 others like this.
  3. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

I can relate to your post. So hard to find decent gloves that offer durability as well as dexterity them as winter approaches even a bit of warmth. I would gladly pay more for such a glove. Maybe meeting all those parameters is impossible in a glove but we can hope for just such a glove. On the other hand I’d be that much more aggravated if I got a pair & then lost them!

T.Jeff Veal and Chaz like this.
  4. In the Pines

In the Pines

leather gloves and duct tape. I don't have a "brand" I just look for some decent yellow leather gloves and when holes start appearing A few wraps of duct tape around the holes
    and they last a pretty good amount of time. I've wore thru the tape and just wrap a little more around it. Eventually the palm stitching blows out or the thumb area to the point
    I toss them. The tape makes em a little more stiff but for picking up, stacking it's ok.

Sandhillbilly, Shurdel, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

6. corncob

corncob

Wells Lamont cowhide for me until they get too greasy and then a new pair. Roast the old pair...

Chaz likes this.
  7. theburtman

theburtman

Beautiful dog

Chaz likes this.
  8. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Any "driver" gloves are good, they are thicker and warmer, but last longer. They also make driver gloves with fur inside for fall/winter use. Biggest downside to the dirver's, as soon as they are wet, they might as well be coated in butter . . . forget gripping anything with any success.
    TSC also sells a better form fitting glove (like the Harbor Fright gloves), but they still don't last long.

I put wooding and stone-wall building at the top of the list for activities that destroy gloves.

Funny, I thought my grandfather was the only one who taped gloves. I found hockey tape to be pretty good, it's a fabric tape that lasts pretty well & remains flexible even in cold and wet.

Sca

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

EODMSgt, HDRock, Ronaldo and 4 others like this.
  10. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Someone once mentioned Vermont made leather gloves. Has anyone ever tried them? I’d rather buy something made as close to home as possible even if it costs a bit more but holds up better.

In the Pines, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  11. KSPlainsman

KSPlainsman

I'm the last guy to ask about gloves, since I hate wearing gloves, unless it's cold.

But, welcome to the forum and that's a beautiful pup! I have a GSD as well.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yes! I agree, great lookin pooch. :yes:

KSPlainsman likes this.
  13. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Arles Showa for me. Buy them by the dozen from Amazon. Blue for normal weather gray for cold. If it’s under 20 my hands get cold until I start working pretty hard so I’ll start with the warmest Kinkos I can find then the gray Showas when I warm up .

14. HDRock

HDRock

Atlas Fit and Polar Penguin gloves hands down for longevity.
    If you don't believe, try them you will be convinced

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  15. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I’ve found ones with rubber facing last the best for me. A while back I had the wife get me a couple pairs from a Farm supply store while she was in town. Probably a month or so later we was in Colorado and she wanted to stop at the dollar tree store while I elected to sit in the truck, after a little bit she called from inside the store and told me I should come in and look at these gloves. Bright green with black rubber facing, I tried on a pair and they felt kind of stiff and really cheap but for $1.25 I figured what the heck I’ll try a pair or two. Turns out, for me they are the best firewood gloves I have found they fit just right, wear a long time and are cheap. Every time she goes into or we are near a dollar tree I’ll make sure we stop and check to see if they have them if they do I’ll pick up five or six pairs at a time.
    $1.25 can’t be beat. Not terribly warm but oh well

16. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I use those cheap fabric gloves that have a rubber coating on the palm side. I do not care who makes them as long as they are cheap.
    I have tried leather or deer skin, or any other hide and they do not last and are not cheap.

Dakota Hoarder and Sandhillbilly like this.
  17. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  18. In the Pines

In the Pines

it was an older guy who built stone walls who I learned that from. I like the hockey tape tip. Any brand better than another? I just use the cheapest duct tape I can source.

Sirchopsalot likes this.
  19. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Just whatever duck's Sporting goods had.

In the Pines likes this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive tried a lot and prefer the cheapo latex coated ones youve seen me wear. I have a pair of fleece lined leather ones i dont use you can have. They wear well but i prefer dexterity over life expectancy.

Sirchopsalot likes this.