In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What is this screen latch called?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Oct 7, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

DSCF1013.JPG I have googled quite a bit and not found it. This is the left side and I believe the right side was similar, but inverted to catch the left side.

For sliding french door sliding screens.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks @grizzlyadam, all I can locate are latches for single screens, mine is 2 sliding screens that come together in the center without a center post, they latch together somehow. Contacted the manufacturer, PH Tech, at 3:30 my time, had to leave a message. Just called back an hour later and they are closed (Quebec, EST).

I found another company that provides PH Tech replacement parts. Interesting they have the same woman on the voicemail....also closed. 1/2 the descriptions are in french. I can muddle through spanish pretty well but not french.

Note to self. Buy from Pacific and Mountain time in the future. Argh:doh:

Chazsbetterhalf and Jack Straw like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I finally got the screen door lock "fixed" !!!!

We've had a PITA small eye & hook latch since two destructive boys belonging to a couple that visited us way back in 2014 that ruined/destroyed/broke many many many things here in one short weekend ( :mad: ). The screen door lock though not $$ is a bad reminder of the other several hundred dollars of damage, and the other things yet to be fixed, we use that latch all summer reminder...

I was looking at rare earth magnets and other possibilities after the eye to the hook fell off again and decided to pop the latch off to see if I could McGyver a magnet latch. One thing led to another and I ended up turning both screen doors (sliding french glass style) upside down and reversing the hardware. It worked !! Diy screws and shims to get the latch to meet the formerly hidden one, oh, and the dog scratch metal guard is now on the top :rofl: :lol:, but we can lock the screen door shut! It's important because we have a small indoor only cat that would get hurt or killed outside with the stray wildcats, and my little old man dog AND the new pup both take liberty opening the screen door every few minutes = mixing cats and mosquitos coming in etc...

My latch is similar to pictured below, but no cigar, OEM, company out of business.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

wildwest an earlier update would have got faster fix... Wife and MIL Both speak fluent French and my daughter in Quebec Now..

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: