Cut down this ash tree with my new 555 yesterday. Been wondering what these blue marks are? They are on both the stump and the felled tree? Cut into it 16 further up and nothing?? Wondering if any of you have come across this? I thought it may have been some type of steel? But no steel was to be found? This is the tree stump.. Then the felled tree.. And a pic of the new saw on the tree
That is weird! I've seen the typical stains you might see with metal being in there but those marks are nearly perfect (in distance apart) and seem to be vertical with the tree. I'd be curious how far up you find them as you buck the tree into logs. Neat find
Some guy from 50 is laughing his butt off-- he put nails all in the ground around the sapling he planted.
Blue usually means steel. Center to center about 1 ''. Maybe an old 1" wire fence 30 years ago or so. On or near property or field borders , suspect/look for some kind of fencing .
Sometimes it can stain a little ways up the grain of the wood. It's in a treeline that has an old barb wire fence. But this tree was over 6 feet out from that row? On my side of the fence. I will measure the dots, but they are closer to probably 1/4" to 1/2".
Weird because they are so round. Looks like one of them is right near the bark so I would expect to still see the fencing protruding out of the bark if it was fencing.
You pinched your bar. Those are the rivets on your chain. You can see a couple of rectangular cutter indentations also. You have wedge marks there too.
What Paul said. I like the tree shot. I was thinking aliens at first, just because they do stuff like that to confuse us.
Yup, that tree sat down on your chain. Any ferrous metal would have left some coloration. Any nonferrous metal would probably still be in there. They're probably blue because of the bar oil getting pressed into the wood and/or heat.
Had a wedge? But never thought the bar got pinched.... Huh. . Thought I was onto something Another mystery solved . Thanks Paul. You saved me a lot of time investigating tonight Good call
Must have been when I stopped and put the wedge in.. Because I ran the saw a bit, put were in, then ran it up to the hinge and pulled out when she started to fall. Good eye... Good eye..