In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What is burning pellets saving you?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by dotman17, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

I dont know, dotman, I know quite alot of men who like the house warmer than their wives, so beware of make those broad assumptions. That being said, Im not rushing back into one of THOSE legal arrangements!

subsailor likes this.
  2. dotman17

dotman17

Yeah, I have always burned hot. For instance, I could never wear a sweater even because my body cranked out the heat. I burn up in them. But I admit -- getting older -- I've gone from "I'm uncomfortable -- I'm getting the hell outta here" to "Hey, this is kinda nice.". There was a time when anything in my house above 70 degrees was too much. Now the meter has moved and I'd say anything above 75 is too much.

So I guess the message here is, thank the women and the older men. :D

3. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Monetarily I don't know and really don't care, what I do care about is it saves me from burning oil from foreign nations that pretty much want us free Americans and Christians of this Great Nation dead.
    It makes me happy to know that I am not supporting fanatical human beings(I would say animals but I love animals) that kill our beloved soldiers and innocent citizens , that is what burning wood pellets saves me.

4. dotman17

dotman17

What about domestic oil? Just wondering.

5. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Not positive but due to EPA or some other government restrictions on fracking less oil comes from domestic. Even with that said I really have a hard time burning oil at all knowing that any oil comes from Mideastern Country's whom support the hatred towards our great country. America gets 13% of its oil from the middle east and 10% from Africa the remainder comes from Canada and South America and our Great Country. This is a great advancement from previous years as America produces 40% of the oil consumed in America.

Orson_Yancey likes this.
  6. briansol

briansol

Honestly, with oil at -2.30 and pellets at -275, its a wash.
    I spend about the same.

It was much more of a savings when oil was $4 to 5+ per gallon.

I like the stove on.... the ambience.... the glow.... Not coming in to a dark house....

So long as it's around even or better, I'll burn.

7. subsailor

subsailor

That's a nice price. I just paid $2.75 on Thursday.

Birddog91 likes this.
  8. bogieb

bogieb

Most of the pellets I burn are from the immediate area - ME, VT and some from our northern neighbors. Propane and oil, even if it comes from North America, is trucked great distances to get here. Keeping the money not just "Made in USA" to really local is nice as is the fact that it is a renewable resource (and in some instances, made from otherwise scrap materials).

Luneyburg and dotman17 like this.
  9. Tullytown

Tullytown

we burn 24/7.. 2 story 1920's not well insulated house..... Anderson thermal windows but jesus H..... we have 24 winders in the house...
    more glass than walls I think.... but i digress....
    furnace used to drink oil like a drunken sailor just keeping the house at 67-68...
    now we keep downstairs around 74 degrees and the heat rises to upstairs bedroom to 67 degrees...[stove is never running more than half thrusters..] "aye Captain".
    3/half to 4 tons pellets per seasons..... bit over 1000.00 for 4 tons at early spring sale...
    oil would be around 1700.00. but it's more about the comfort than the $$$$$$.....we do love the steady steady heat as opposed to on/off/heat/cool down/rinse/lather/repeat of the hot water baseboards.

Birddog91, bogieb and Pete Zahria like this.
  10. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Same experience but in an 1860 farmhouse...

Tullytown, subsailor and bogieb like this.
  11. Skier76

Skier76

I haven't done the calcs yet...not sure if I will. We like the heat from it. It's nice to have our lower level (raised ranch) in the lower 70's. I'm sure that would cost a lot by using the oil heat.

Part of the reason we got this stove was because of the wood stove we have in VT....liked that nice warm heat.

12. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

Right now in my area, the price of heating oil vs wood pellets is almost a wash. But I continue to burn 90%
    wood pellets because it is better for the local economy, less importing of oil from some unfriendly nations,
    and I can stock pile years ahead in wood pellets. In December 2017 to Jan. 2018, a two week cold snap
    caused a shortage of propane in New England. I know of several people who said that their propane
    dealers ran out of propane.

13. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

I just finished cleaning my stove
    Now... I'm not that crazy about burning pellets..

Dan

bogieb likes this.
  14. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Just started my stove back up.
    Looking at a great flame through a crystal clear window...
    Like burning pellets again...

Dan

Birddog91 and bogieb like this.
  15. mithesaint

mithesaint

Haven't ran full numbers ever. Our first winter with propane was 2010-2011. Paid $600 to fill the tank at the beginning of January. Tank was empty by the end of the month. Thought to my self...ouch, that sucks. Filled it again. Then February came along, and drained the tank again, requiring yet another $600 fill. Never again I said.

Installed a used 10 CPM the next fall, and that paid for itself in the first winter. Used that for a few years, then upgraded to a Revolution furnace, which I LOVE.

I probably save about $1000-1500/year over propane.

bogieb likes this.
  16. bogieb

bogieb

Very familiar story

jtakeman, Pete Zahria and ttdberg like this.