In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What gives with the new icon on my computer?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Jun 5, 2015.

  1. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Just looked down on the screen Sav and found it on my pute???? Not touching it.:whistle:


    [​IMG]
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,380
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Computers are the devil!
     
    unclefess and concretegrazer like this.
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I saw this thread on my tablet and thought, maybe some folks here had malware, but nope, ive got this "reserve windows 10" icon in my task bar on my laptop. papadave -good advice

    Also, when I turned on my laptop, the screen on the desktop (windows 8) adjusted and all the icons got a little bigger.

    I changed the update settings, but still have the windows icon on my taskbar. Anyone know how to get rid of it?
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    You could turn off Windows Update altogether, but it'll come back on if you reboot (may be a way to keep it off, but I wouldn't suggest it).
    Make those update adjustments I mentioned, and it'll just sit there and occasionally remind you of any updates available. It won't do anything unless you tell it to........if you make that adjustment (which you've already done).
    By default, update is set to automatically dl and install stuff. When I can no longer make an adjustment to that setting is the day I quit using Windows.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,161
    Location:
    Central MI

    You should be able to get rid of it but when I just tried (right click on icon) it does not give that option to unpin it. Hum.... Will have to play around with it later.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.