In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What Excuses Do Use ??

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by HoneyFuzz, Feb 21, 2014.

  1. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    I have bought and sold many things in my life ...as I find it fun..and I have a love for anything old..and given up on . I have picked up a lot of saws the last few years . Some I pick-up with the intention to sell . Some I say Im gonna keep..then later I change my mind :) Sometimes I lose a little money....my excuse to make me feel better is....."Well.......i got my enjoyment out of it....even if I only looked at it awhile ..it was worth the money I lost ! " So what do you fellas come up with to make you feel better when getting rid of toys ?
     
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Getting more stuff to replace them, ASAP… :whistle:
     
    clemsonfor and HoneyFuzz like this.
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,657
    Location:
    IN
    I'll let you know when I get rid of one.
     
    clemsonfor, milleo, Gasifier and 2 others like this.
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    You can get rid of things?
     
    clemsonfor, milleo, Gasifier and 2 others like this.
  5. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,657
    Location:
    IN
    Some people can. Others can't.

    I don't have many toys. And the ones I do have serve a purpose other than my amusement too. I'm just now getting to the stage in my life where I can get toys.
     
    Gark and Chvymn99 like this.
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Let the fun begin… :D:whistle:
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,657
    Location:
    IN
    I don't see myself buying many, if any. I hate "stuff". The less the better. Less is more.
     
    milleo likes this.
  8. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I don't anymore. If I need it I buy it if I can't find a use afterwords it's sold.. Buyers remorse sucks and I am done with it. In my garage is a engine hoist that I bought to pull my 350 that died it was either 2000 for a new car or 1200 for a motor so I did the motor and lift. It was a hell of a deal at 160 out the door with a load leveler anymore and it would still be in the store. It might get used for logs but most likely not it will probably get sold when I'm done. On modern cars no way would I even attempt to pull a motor.

    That said if it's wants then it's saved up for out of a weekly spending allowance so there is no excuse needed other than I want.:D

    Edit ) buyers remorse bugs me so much that's why I reuse damm near everything from pallets to scrap metal it gets reused.
     
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    343amc, clemsonfor and HoneyFuzz like this.
  9. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  10. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Cause I want it lol!
     
    Chvymn99 and HoneyFuzz like this.
  11. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I was out in my shop today and I stopped for a second and thought about what we've been talking about here… toys, and whether having em is good or not so good. As I looked at the many "things" I've accumulated over 30-40 years, it occurred to me that not one item I was looking at was what I would call a toy. They are all tools or equipment that I've used to get a lot of work done. Even the ATV. We don't ride it like most do. It's a woods tractor 99% of the time. Lucky to have it, but definitely not a toy.
    So, I agree with you totally… all of the "stuff" I have too, is for a purpose not amusement… :tree::axe::fire:
     
    lukem, clemsonfor and Chvymn99 like this.
  12. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I'm happy to say, even though I'm slowly getting up there in years, that I pass most of the things I don't use any longer to my son. We are alot alike and he appreciates alot of the things I do so it's easy for me knowing he will care and use them just as I did.

    I gave him an old beat up hitachi nail gun a couple weeks ago, more of a parts gun for me and the guns I repair with it. He sent me a series of pictures the other day with the gun all repaired and it had a new custom paint job. Made me smile :)
     
    Chvymn99, milleo and HoneyFuzz like this.
  13. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I do the same thing. And, it's funny… he too will paint the stuff all up to look like new. Pretty cool…
     
    Chvymn99 and My IS heats my home like this.
  14. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    We all have our own way of justifying purchases . And we all have our way of figuring out how much stuff gets used to make it "not a toy" ! Keep em coming fellas..I wanna hear more :thumbs:
    BTW..if I kept everything I came across..instead of flipping them....Id need one heck of a garage :)
    This has me thinking of adding more to this thread . Like .....if you buy something "useful"..and only use it one time in 10 years.....is it still useful ? Or worth finding it a new home ?
     
    Beetle-Kill and clemsonfor like this.
  15. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I try to start removing stuff I haven't touched (used) in 3 years. Works for me.
    As far as using something unusual once in 10 years, I go down to the rental place for just about anything I could possibly need.
     
    clemsonfor and Pallet Pete like this.
  16. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Sounds like my policy to a "t" ! I do know I hear my dad say sometimes..that he would clean out the barn or garage of stuff he hadnt used in 20 years...and sure as heck.....in the near future he needed what he threw out ! Guess thats always the way :)
     
    clemsonfor, Stinny and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I try to buy at a good price. Usually it is equipment or a truck. Takes a while to find just what I want, but is usually worth the wait. Then I can usually use it for what I need it for and get my money back out of it. Or almost all of my money back. Especially with equipment. Excuses? Well, I can pay someone to do all the work I do with them and it will cost me a chitload more money. Or, I can buy the stuff and do it myself, then sell it for what I paid for it, or very close to it. And I saved money rather than paying a contractor a bunch of money to do it and all that money be gone!
     
    Pallet Pete, DexterDay and HoneyFuzz like this.
  18. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    I don't make excuses for my purchases, I just offer explanations for them. Luckily, I'm not nearly as impulsive as I used to be, so I'm usually not second guessed.
    But I have my moments......:zip:
     
  19. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Buy now... Ask later. :)

    I have had no vehicle payments in almost 9yrs. All this time we try and save for what we need. With the exception of my lawn mower (should be paid off this year).

    But with me wanting a new truck..... More and more..... I need to stop spending money on frivolous things. Most saws I buy only stick around for a short time. Other than my Cheapo Earthquake for the GTG and my Husq 55 for my ATV? Some I make money, some lose, some im break even.

    The 3 Stihls I have left are gonna be ported by Mastermind. One is on its way home and the other 2 are on the way there.

    I justify it in only one way.. There is worse things that I could spend it on. Many others..
     
    Pallet Pete, 343amc, mdavlee and 4 others like this.
  20. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    Saws are way cheaper than diesel pulling truck parts. I don't have nowhere near the time for a pulling truck so saws are a hobby now and it gives me some nice slabs to make furniture out of.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.