In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What elevation are you at ?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Luneyburg, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Not sure what this has to do with pellets but here i go, oh wait a minute let me re-phrase this
    How do your pellets burn at your elevation ? There we go its relevant .
    Website to check be sure not to click on any of the adware.

What is my elevation?

2. LongShot

LongShot

humm . . . Since I'm in my house, the GPS locator says I'm at 6083 ft. So I changed zip to 87025 (village of Jemez Springs, NM w/ known elevation of 6305 ft and 300 ft lower than my house,) elevation changes to 9101 ft.! thx, but I don't think I'm bookmarking this one.

3. LongShot

LongShot

I don't have any pellets.

4. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

5. CleanFire

CleanFire

6. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Oh no sorry to hear that bummer , may be a NM thing as it has me pinned exactly where I am at in elevation a measly 515 but then again I don't live in the wild wild west . Don't bookmark that one dude could lead to fake elevations ...... can't have that man, but then again are you sure you don't have a fake GPS ?

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'll guess 7400', your link says 7250 but I'm 18 miles from there and a neighbor says we are 7600'.

I have some trouble here, but not sure of the problem. I have a bigger stove with levels 1-6, It had a melt down on 6 when pretty new, and still to this day 5 is spooky, like 20 min max then turn it down to 4 or less. I do have the 4" OAK (opposed to 3"), but SmokeyTheBear has some insight to elevation and why I can't use the two highest settings. My OAK is through a wall to my "enclosed" porch, but it's more like a windbreak to get to the front door, this to ensure the terrible snow drifts out here don't block it.

I burn soft pellets, Heartland, tried Rocky Mountain Pellets and had huge clinkers. One bag of Lignets at $7.50, no thanks at that price.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

No worries Luneyburg , common in Rockies, for instance my previous home was 5600', the town I lived 10 minutes from was 5000', true, couple hundred feet up to the lake road, then back down into a valley, then up my road again. Also, my zip was different than the town I lived by (large zip code in mountains, no towns there) and that zip goes up to 6900' though I was down at 5600'.

9. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Lemme guess you burn firewood in that thar Lopi but heck 46* at your elevation Im guessing your probably burning some softwood as ya taint got na too much hardwood out thar in NM. Mayhap ya should think about gettin a pellet stove and some pellets ? Burned firewood for many years and even put food on the table between logging and processing firewood but my time is limited now I burn pellets much less work although i do miss dropping, cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood .

10. CleanFire

CleanFire

Hey WW, long time no see - Happy New Year to you & yours. :handshake:

Does your stove over-fire on those higher settings / get too hot? Just curious.

11. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Dang sounds beautiful wildwest keep saying year after I am going to make it back out there to the west as I was actually born in California and the last time I made it out west I hiked some mountains that were up around 10 k. Was invigorating and awesome as I belong in the mountains but had to settle to be in the hills to make a decent living . Before I moved here to MA I lived in the foothills and in the Catskill mountains where I was logging and processing firewood, healthiest and happiest time in my life. Envy you fellas who live in the mountains. Hopefully someone can help you with your stove misbehaving ..

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks, nice to see you too, I had a blinking error code with the overfire that lit the ashpan and melted a couple bolts. Drolet sent me new bolts and ignitor (thank you pelletheads for helping me with that :) )
    YES, it was beautiful!! Grew up in the same too. Now I live on the high plains, very flat and kinda desolate/desert like, but many things to appreciate up here too. And my stove is a pretty big one, so getting by on the bottom 4 levels is just fine:)

13. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

14. dotman17

dotman17

About 300'

15. LongShot

LongShot

My USGS topological maps put me at 6600 ft. GPS got nothin' to do with that.

CleanFire, wildwest and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  16. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Ok then you sure your USGS topical maps are not fake maps ? I used the same map and it was balls on .
    Allright Longshot don't get upset was my not intent as I was just thinking it might be fun to see what elevation peeps were at and actually wanted to find something easy for everyone to check , hence the link I found when I was looking to see what other services other than the USGS so people could click on something and find what elevation they were at. Relax buddy and dont rain on the parade , just having some fun its all good.
    Welcome you to possibly find a better link for peeps to have an easy time finding out what elevation they live at. Lets see what you got there LongShot.

CleanFire, wildwest and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  17. LongShot

LongShot

what I've got there is nothing. I wasn't trying to p--- you off, just reporting the site doesn't work right for my location. And, yes, I buy a lot of fake topo maps from the US Forestry Service.

CleanFire and wildwest like this.
  18. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Fair enough

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  19. M2theB

M2theB

No pellets

CleanFire and wildwest like this.
  20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe