In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What do you do to save $$$

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by shack, Feb 17, 2018.

1. shack

shack

Thought this would be the right place to post this.

Curious to know what folks due to save money and stretch a dollar. I would say we all burn wood to save on gas/propane/eclectic bills (plus be more independent)

Me, well I shop at Aldis a lot, always drive a smaller car for decent mileage (kept my last car for 20 years, killed me to buy a new used car last year and I don't drive my pick up very much -it's a 2001).

When I built my place a couple of years ago I went a lot smaller, used spray foam insulation (8 inches in the walls) and used all LED lighting.

I have a small garden, do some canning and dehydrating too.

I have internet, but no cable t.v.

....just starting things off

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. Chaz

Chaz

We used to shop at Aldi's a lot, haven't been there in a few months now.
    Reminds me that I need to stock up on corn and canned Tuna again.

Our elec runs between 70-120/month. I've installed many LED lights and plan to replace all of the old flouro's over time.

Plan on adding more insulation in attic/crawl space, and interior walls could use insulated as well.

Other than that we're fairly frugal, I make less than $40K per year and she's retired with $700/mo income through Social Security.

Beer budget won't be reduced!! :bug::pete::coldone:

I'll go without TV if I have to. :popcorn:

Garden was a BUST this last year, but the previous year we put up 24 Quarts of home-made tomato sauce and it was great.
    Buy meat in bulk (1/2 cow) annually from a local farmer ($3/lb for steaks,roasts, ground), would have gotten 1/2 pig this spring if we had room in the freezer. :doh:

Other than that, deer hunting for venison. :drool:
    Eventually want a stocked pond as well.
    Would love to not have to leave the property for anything but work, and beer of course.

Chaz

3. jrider

jrider

Raise our own meat - cows, pigs, chickens. Huge savings and so much better.

4. Blstr88

Blstr88

I commute in a very fuel efficient car as well (VW TDI). Have replaced almost every light in our house with LED, although to be honest I've noticed no difference in the monthly bill.

We're good about keeping doors closed/locked to keep them sealed well, as well as just generally not leaving lights on unnecessarily.

We also buy 1/2 pig, 1-2 lamb and a bunch of chicken in bulk locally, I'm really good about always bringing leftovers to work for lunches.

Planning to raise 15 meat chickens this summer and we have 8 hens as well, provides us with more than enough eggs.

5. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Check out the website mrmoneymoustache.com. The guy has some really interesting thoughts on this topic. Don't agree with everything, but I like his philosophy overall, and found some interesting tips.

Jack Straw, milleo, Highbeam and 2 others like this.
  6. savemoney

savemoney

I do a lot of on line shopping. That avoids a lot of impulse buying when I walk the stores. Seems that what I buy on line saves money over the store prices. I don't go very far. Don't care for crowds. I can't say I go without much. I don't get dressed up so my clothes are basic. Retired from the military so they pay my health care except for medicare cost. There are two of us to feed and the pets.

7. cnice_37

cnice_37

I in-source pretty much everything! Antenna TV, drive cars into the ground, heat with wood, and live a simple but nice life.

Take full advantage of all tax avoidance means so that I can get out of the rate race before I'm a goner.

Dumf, gregbesia, Jack Straw and 4 others like this.
  8. Chaz

Chaz

Sounds much like here, Jill and me, and puppy makes 3. We are also vets (not the dog though).
    I salute your retirement.:salute:

We also go through the VA for healthcare needs, and with our income levels, it would devastate us if we could not. Some of the family guys at work pay nearly, or as much per month for health insurance, as we pay for the mortgage on our house/property.

It's insane.:faint:

Chaz

Jack Straw, milleo and savemoney like this.
  9. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

Call your TV providers, best them up on price, same with phone and internet, we dropped oro internet 2 years ago an just go with the phones, costs less anyways. Insurance can be known to give you a break as well just by saying I'm going to switch providers or whatever. I don't drive my truck unless I've got something to haul. Idk if you can consider it saving as I spent 5x as much but Friday I bought #10 of stainless filler rid instead of #1 because #1 was $24 an #10 was $120, it'll be 2 years before I see the end of that box, but it doesn't go bad and the price per pound was half. I take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself such as that. When buying parts for vehicles etc, I look at how long I expect it to last me and how hard it is to change, my truck is falling apart, I don't put many miles on it, so if something breaks that's cheaper used, I go used, chances are it'll get me through until the truck is scrapped/sold, my car on the other hand I usually buy new parts. I've found after getting rid of the bigger bills like the internet and dropping some insurance, just going into work for overtime one day a month or doing sidework is much easier than scraping pennies, or instead of going out on the town, stay in. Much easier and less stressful than some of the other activities.

10. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Thankfully, my company provides me with a new car every few years, so massive savings there. I have an old Bronco that I use as needed. Drive my wife's car outside work hours, or take the Bronco if shes out. Work wants over fifty cents a mile reimbursement for driving on my own time. No thanks!

Wife's car is over 5 years old, I'd like to drive it into the ground, but I'd rather the piece of mind of less chance of her and the kids broken down on the side of the road, so 1.5 more years and it's gone.

I wish I could save on electric, it's $170 a month in the winter with the hot tub. It won't be filled next winter, we just dont use it enough to justify that expense.

I tried Aldi, we just didn't care for a lot of the brands. We shop at a local chain that is VERY competitive on price for name brand products.

I scrounge all of my wood, so heat is nearly free. I just wish there was something to scrouge to feed my central air system!

11. bushpilot

bushpilot

Don't borrow money for anything.

12. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Saving $ for me revolves more around time and convenience .
    I work some insane hours 9 months out of the year so there is little time for much else.
    I usually spend my slow time (Dec-March) shopping , stocking shelves and planing ahead. Food ,work clothes , tools , truck parts and hardware.
    I end up using Amazon the most but price compare through eBay , SAMs ,Walmart and Home Depot .
    I buy all my fuel,air,and oil filters for equipment by the case which saves 50% sometimes more.
    Use a 3% cash back credit card for everything .
    I bought an Amazon Fire smart TV and with all the available apps I'm about ready to drop cable the next price increase I see.
    I pre buy all my yearly off road fuel,Gas , and propane.
    Some small raised bed gardens that I have placed close to my work truck that get watered/weeded morning and nite while waiting for truck to warm up or shutdown (time savings).
    I have a couple farm friends that call when they have a heifer with a broken leg or split hip and get free beef other than the processing.if I had acces to a walk in freezer I'd do the processing myself (worked as a meat cutter out of school for a year) . There's a really good store just outside one of the city's I do work in and they have great chicken and pork prices . I'll watch the sales and stock up 20 lbs at a time when it's cheap and freeze it.
    I pump my own septic tank and save $350 every couple years.
    Do my own carpentry work/home maintenance as needed.
    Probably a lot more that I haven't thought of.
    As a society we are blessed to have the Internet as a tool,time/$ saver , and for self education. It's too bad most use it to waste time on FaceCrap and Twit.

13. chris

chris

Not trying to be political here- my observation of heath care and the the break up of Ma Bell many years ago are one in the same- just lined a bunch of self serving pockets at the peoples expense.

14. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

How do you do your own septic....and why? I'm as cheap as they come sometimes, but I'll draw the line there

Chaz likes this.
  15. JustWood

JustWood Guest

I already have a tank trailer for dust control. A new trash pump was $300 15 years ago. No brainier . An every 2-3 year pump is cheap PM on a leach field .
    About 15 years ago I put in another tank in front of the original one to act as a settling tank before it enters leach field.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2018
    brenndatomu, milleo and Chaz like this.
  16. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Eat before going grocery shopping!

Gary

17. ironpony

ironpony

Paid everything thing off years ago, if I can not pay cash I do not buy it. Interest cost 3 times what the rate is bottom line.

18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I am blessed to have a co. van and fone.
    Those 2 things save me a lot of money!
    2001 diesel truck, 2006 jetta tdi. Both have a quarter million miles. Jetta gets 41-50 mpg.

Cancelled cable and unplugged the tv .

Bought a Verizon network extender for $200 and cancelled my land line.

Paid off the house 3 years early.

Buy only Dickies Duck Carpenter's pants after realizing they outlast Levis 4:1

Mrs. TD checks the grocery store flyers before we go grocery shopping . We hit Aldi first then 2 other stores and try to get everything at the lowest price. Buy store brands if they are good.

Seldom eat out...just once a week with friends and nothing too expensive.

Changing over to LEDs but only the lights we use often and when a fixture needs replaced.

Buzz cut my own hair. Those $30 clippers saved me a ton of money on hair cuts!

Pay all bills early or on time ...no late payment fees.

Make coffee and iced tea at home. $2 per cup at Zippymart (Sheetz) is ridiculous! You can make 2 pots for that 1 cup price.

Left overs are cheap. Today's leftover ham makes tomorrow's ham and scalloped potatoes supper for $4. Then 2 more packed lunches for free.

Coupons.

SAVE FOR RETIREMENT!!
    At the very least, if your co. offers a match, put in at least that amount! Your throwing money away if you dont! There is nowhere else you can make 100% on an investment!

Never buy a new car. A good used car will save you thousands.

Extended warranties are a scam in most cases.

Mrs TD had AAA. We never used it in 20 years. Keep money in an emergency fund and keep the $1500 in your own pocket.

I know this long list makes me sound cheap....well...frugal. But I could do better!

19. Chaz

Chaz

That's what this thread is all about.. saving the Benjamins. :makeitrain"

Although I'm not sure I want to know where JustWood get rid of his septic.. ahem.. effluent.
    :fart:
    No poo flinging. :bug:

brenndatomu, milleo and cnice_37 like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:bug:
    e30d7b98aa1dd1294556614c57dbc342.jpg

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Ohio, will711, MikeInMa and 8 others like this.