In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What Caused This?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Ralphie Boy, Mar 27, 2017.

  1. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Took the 661 cover off to do some basic cleaning after bucking some 39" hackberry logs the other day. I found this gouge. I don't remember any problems while cutting. Undetected loose chain?

    20170327_103106.jpg
     
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    thewoodlands likes this.
  2. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,324
    Likes Received:
    31,456
    Location:
    Over here
    Is the drive sprocket worn?
     
    Ralphie Boy likes this.
  3. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    New saw, maybe 6 tanks of fuel through it so I wouldn't think so. But just a minute and I'll pull the cover again and check it.
     
    RCBS likes this.
  4. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Nope, appears perfect.
     
    RCBS likes this.
  5. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,324
    Likes Received:
    31,456
    Location:
    Over here
    Just grabbing at straws. Curious as to how it got on a bind myself. This happened once on my old Echo CS3400 and I could never figure what caused it.
     
    Ralphie Boy likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Did you ever have the chain come off? Maybe your chain was a bit loose.
     
    RCBS likes this.
  7. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Never came off but I'm thinking it was, at some point, loose. I always pull the cover and clean everything, remove the bar service it, blow out the aid filter, put it back together and sharpen the chain. You'd think I would bave seen it before today. Oh well, I'll start paying mode attention to chain tention.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  8. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Have you checked the condition of the driver links on your chain(s)?
    Do you think they could have beat up the cover like that, if the chain had loosened up?
     
    Barcroftb, Ralphie Boy and RCBS like this.