In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What are your thoughts on coffee?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Scot Linkletter, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

busy season......got out of the habit of coming here.......
    I always hate saying this, but bad going-on in the pellet world now......usually in the spring you see a slight dip in prices as pellet co's try to get rid of extra stock or sell early season pellets when the smaller dealers dont take product......but this year, we are looking at price increases on the spring AND no quantity commitments, citing raw material shortages......theres always some story every year, but this year, it feels pretty bad.....kinda like when you go to the seafood restaurant, leave for the 45 minute drive home, and you get that cramping, gurgling feeling in your gut 5 minutes down the road......

2. chris

chris

last sat. night/ sunday morning early, local pallet mfg went up in smoke . they had huge piles of saw dust all over the property. 36 hours later they were still pouring water on the piles and using large equipment to keep turning the piles over while hosing it all down. additionally floating embers caused several field fires in the vicinity. there wasn't any electrical storms. so that leaves an equipment problem or spontaneous combustion of the piles of saw dust. piles were more than 2 stories high. freeway was closed for almost 24 hrs due to smoke. That saw dust isn't much good for making pellets due to most pallet companies recycling old pallets, leaves metal bits from
    nails in the mix- destroy a set of pellet dies dies instantly. a magnetic screening system would need to be used to possibly salvage the sawdust for pellets.
    some 15 years ago another pallet mfg had a similar fire ( broke out early on a sunday morning) that one was traced to saw dust in a electrical box

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

Believe me, there was at least one pellet manufacturer who did use old pallets to make (the worst) pellets around 10 years ago....the name escapes me, but I bet some of the pellet "veterans" here might remember. And yes, a magnet system had to be used. jtakeman remember the name?

bogieb, SmokeyTheBear and jtakeman like this.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Ugh! Not just pallets, But also recycled lumber. Some saw paint specks in the pellets and burned with colored(blue green) flames. The name was INFERNO Wood Pellets IIRC. The New England Patriots owner(Kraft) had something to do with them. International Forest Products still has them listed on the website.

5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Really?!

jtakeman and imacman like this.
  6. imacman

imacman

Bingo! aka "Infernals". Worst pellet ever made, IMO. :mad:

7. bogieb

bogieb

I got some Infernos during the firesale of 2016 for $100/ton. Those ran about the same temp as Blackstones and Prestos for me. Certainly not the worst pellets I've ever burned, and not a bad value at the firesale price.

8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Only good if you have one of them auto magical stoves that continually sniffs the exhaust like a Harman or Astroflame IIRC and adjusts the feed.

imacman, bogieb and PelletHound like this.
  9. RCBS

RCBS

Have never drank a full cup of coffee. No, really. lol Closest I ever get is brewed green tea.

SmokeyTheBear and bogieb like this.
  10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Over the years I have demolished a pot or so of coffee but Allen's Coffee Brandy is go to for excessive imbibers in this state.

BHags, imacman, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  11. BHags

BHags

Unrelated Smokey, but I used your swimming lesson technique on some pesky chipmunks yesterday. I caught four in two hours.

imacman and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  12. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

how my parents taught me to swim.jpg

billb3, imacman, BHags and 4 others like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, that fire was a really bad one.

We had a spontaneous combustion event in our house some 30 years ago. No damage though because we were home and on it. Mom had pampas grass in a tall wicker basket. The grass was preserved with a clear shellac on it. One day it just went up in flames. It was there for at least 10 if not 20 years with no incident.

I recall dad grabbing that basket, with the grass on fire and running down the stairs and out the front door with it and he threw it in the yard, that happened to have a few inches of snow on it.

bogieb and wildwest like this.
  14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

A friend of a friend has a daughter working at Donkin and I got a 2 5 pound bags of beans. Using one as the morning brew and saving one for the stove. Hope they keep me on the list when their bags expire and the can't sell. He said they were tossing them in the trash and I nearly cried at free fuel! :(

eatonpcat, JD Guy, imacman and 2 others like this.
  15. GHinNH

GHinNH

I know about spontaneous combustion, tell people and they look at me like I'm a "nut job" conspiracy theorist.

I worked a place that manufactures equipment and the paint booth is about 40' long. The painter who despite having a dedicated can FOR paint dust would sweep paint dust and put it in the trash dumpster and cause a fire a couple times a year.

I've been refinishing 60+ year old Oak stair treads lately (that's a story itself) and burn all the blue shop towels used for wiping excess stain, mineral spirits, cleaning brushes etc...

They all act like I'm trying to poison them with a little soot and I say, "well... I can throw them in the trash if you'd like and have the garage burn down instead."

imacman likes this.
  16. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

I just got a dozen dented one pound cans from Trader Joe's of Organic Breakfast Blend Medium Roast 100% Arabica.
    Since I am not a coffer drinker, I think these beans will go through the Harman starting in November.
    I hope that no one is offended that I am putting these through the pellet stove.

imacman likes this.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Nah, If it were beer? That would be another story! :whistle:

:D

JD Guy, Orson_Yancey, BHags and 2 others like this.
  18. GHinNH

GHinNH

Maybe, if it were Colombian dark roast.

imacman and Orson_Yancey like this.
  19. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Pic of the bag of coffee beans from DK. Hope to get some more free heat(and morning brew). :D

Dunkin bag of beans.JPG

imacman likes this.
  20. don2222

don2222

Inferno Wood Pellet Reviews!
    Inferno Wood Pellets - Wood Pellet Reviews

Attached Files:

Orson_Yancey likes this.