In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wet wood vs dry wood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Oct 19, 2020.

1. jo191145

jo191145

Reminds me of the conversation I had with the local bartender about two years ago. Runs an outdoor boiler like yooperdave mentioned. Dry wood burns too hot!! I asked him if he couldn’t turn down the air a bit. He didn’t like that. Been doing it that way for twenty years and he knows what he’s doing :)

There was a time I thought I knew what I was doing too ;)

Good video Dennis. People selling wood online should have that on their site. If they have dry wood LOL

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You are right! You don't need it!

3. Backwoods Savage

Well, I watched until the idiot said you can burn ash when it is green. Whoa, someone should teach him something because what he said there makes everything he says questionable. But, as I've stated before,you can get most any wood to burn. Yes, even red oak freshly cut. Shoot, years ago we could not sell slab wood so burned it right away! Like I said, it will burn. Poorly for sure but we always got it to burn.

Furthermore,green ash comes off the stump around 35%. Do you really want to burn that in your stove? Again, it can be done, but should it?

So I did not watch much of his video.

Maina, mat60, Need2Saw and 7 others like this.
  4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I'm on your side here, I tried burning Ash that was about 3 months along once and it was horrendous. The next morning there were huge chunks left over in the firebox. I watched this video in it's entirety a while back when he first made it and didn't remember that big piece of misinformation. Guess I should've re-watched it! Oops. I more or less shared this for the visual value. Just noting the appearance of the wood in 3 different stages of the drying process.

5. Erik B

Erik B

Backwoods Savage You got further than I did. Once he started talking about 6 month split and stacked red oak being dry and other wood that was "seasoned" as being better for burning, I stopped watching. Seasoned has no meaning, dry does.

6. Backwoods Savage

Yeah, the guy just is not the brightest. I let it go only because I wanted to see where he was going with it.

7. Erik B

Erik B

Backwoods Savage I understand. You gotta have a good laugh once in awhile:thumbs::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

8. moresnow

moresnow

Just linked the video under firewood for sale on Craigslist. Should be good for some knitted brows...... Scratching of heads etc.... Complete confusion.

9. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Glad you guys had a good laugh. If linking a video chock full of bad advice, then having realized it after the fact, owning up to it then deleting it promptly was the worst thing I've done here, then I'm not doing so bad :) Imagine if I belligerently defended the idiot's position on drying wood :thumbs:

10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

The add on the site where my boiler was built said "effectively burns green or seasoned wood". I called the guy out about that when he dropped off the boiler & I'll be darned if they didn't take it off. I have on occasion thrown some green chunks/uglies in to get rid of them & they of course get burned up, but the smoke is very unpleasant.

11. Rope

Rope

Interesting how quickly the temp drops. Also interesting that is from Fairbanks only 210 miles away, they have had bad air quality and do a lot to promote using dry wood.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Great video. That mustve been some fresh cut pine. My landlord was the stove on the left. He is splitting up the beech from Isaias storm that fell on his barn in early August thinking he'll burn it this year. If you saw what he is buring it in you wouldnt stay in his house overnight! I see smoke comomg from his chimney all the time and laugh! I try to teach my customers good burning habits.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Any of you guys that sell wood have your customers email addresses? It would be pretty easy to send everybody this video with your next mass email reminder to "order before its gone", or whatever your do...

14. Backwoods Savage

Don't feel too bad. It is easily done and we do not think any less of you; just the guy in the video.

mat60, Erik B and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

If I remember right the problem with air quality has much to do with the lay of the land.

yooperdave, mat60 and Rope like this.
  16. Rope

Rope

Yes sir you are correct.

mat60 and billb3 like this.