In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Went and cut some wood today.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by clemsonfor, Jan 5, 2014.

  1. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I took my MS650 out with my 32" bar I got in the secret Santa exchange (thanks DextrtDay). Also took the Husky 372xp and 445 and my Earthquake 4518 that I just put the dual port muffler on that I cut half the baffle out of.

    White white oak that looked dead about a year. Doady sapwood but hard heart.

    IMG_20140105_164447.jpg IMG_20140105_170350.jpg IMG_20140105_172840.jpg IMG_20140105_172854.jpg IMG_20140105_172914.jpg
     
  2. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    How'd the earthquake do Clem?
     
  3. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    Looks good clem! Love the truck too! Hows the 650 running for you? I picked up an old Stihl 064 around a month ago, gonna do a muffler mod sometime soon but that is a good old saw for sure......
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    4 saws for a truck load of wood, you and I would get along great :thumbs:
    Nice load of wood you have there for sure!
     
    clemsonfor and Pyroholic like this.
  5. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice load
    Plenty off saws made the trip :)
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  6. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Used um all!! 650 is a beast. Video comeing. I buxked the whole thing in less than 4 mins!!! For those who caught the stump cut ant realize the tree fell into the woods and not the road....well we just won't talk about that!

    I felled it with the 372 and rescued it with the 650 and 445!!!

    Pete after the dual port muffler with the mod this thing is a Decent saw! A good chain will be that much better. I think it keeps up or is better than the stock 445. I did pull half the baffel out of it as well.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  7. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Here is the Earthquake bid is not as good since I am so far from it and you can't really see but I have it and here it is??



    Here is a bucking bid. Going west coast on this 14" white oak!! Still not use to the giant bar!!

     
    Chvymn99 and Pallet Pete like this.
  8. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    it sounds a lot better than stock at least!
     
  9. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    It does sound good. Sounds like it can breathe! Reminds me of a mini 372 the way it sounds. Obviously not as deep but. The eBay muffler we talked about in the thread is great. If u pull the baffle its an empty can. The dual ports probably put you somewhere near 75% of exhaust port size?? I did not pull it all as it looked like the support studs were attached to it?? I pulled the top and bottom of the tunnel out so that all is left is the left and right walls and the end of the baffel which has a hole in it itself. The area is way bigger than the port though.
     
  10. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,491
    Likes Received:
    113,812
    Location:
    KC Metro
    :thumbs: that 650 made quick work of that trunk... And it sounded great too! Great load of wood, made the ol' Chevy squat just a little....
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  11. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Glad you like the bar Clem. That saw really looks amazing now.

    Nice videos and most of all, nice truck bro!

    Why the pic of that little Ranger in your Avatar? When you could have that sweet rig in there?
     
  12. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Cause the last few years I have used ranger cause of fuel. But the 4x8 trailer full and ranger full it will stall out!!! Some other place online that's talks about wood and such I have this truck and my loaded 16ft tandem trailer dull of logs ;)
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  13. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I have liked these body styles since I was a kid. My first (real) job I bought one!! Its not going anywhere I love it.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  14. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I love that truck. Very retro and in good shape. That's how I remember all trucks looking when I was a kid.
     
  15. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Paint is rougher than shows here. And it has some rocker rot not bad but some.
     
  16. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    That 650 bar is crazy big. Wow!!! I think you need a two man saw for that 14" white oak. :D
     
  17. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I'd love to get my saw into the white oak. I have wood envy. White oak is great stuff. Don't get that everyday
     
  18. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Man all I can say is that you guys get me here!!!!

    I posted this almost identical post on another firewood website somewhere else on the web, a little over 24 hours ago. All the respond I have gotten so far is a smart comment about getting a longer bar to out it in the dirt easier!!

    Oh and I got a like from another member here with dual citizenship :)
     
    Pallet Pete and Chvymn99 like this.
  19. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,491
    Likes Received:
    113,812
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Man you and Swags are going to have to have a battle of the long bars....:thumbs:
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  20. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Even at 7 MPG, I find my big truck will move more wood for the money than my 18 MPG Canyon (little truck). I need 3-4 loads with the Canyon to equal what the beast brings home with ease in 1 load. If I had an appropriate wood-hauling trailer, the balance would probably tip even further towards the big truck, as it it relatively unaffected by heavy loads where as the Canyon's gas mileage plummets with a full load on.

    Don't get me wrong, I love the Canyon, but it serves me better as a daily driver/grocery getter than a heavy hauler. Plus it's a beast in winter weather. Small and agile, 4x4 and still has a low-range for when the chit gets real deep. Or someone needs a tow. :smoke:
     
    Chvymn99 and clemsonfor like this.