In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Welder hookup - Question & Any Tips?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jun 9, 2016.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Just got some # 6-3 and parts for a welder outlet install. Is the ground needed when using a energy star insulated double gang workbox for new construction?

Attached Files:

2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Why so heavy? What kind of welder are we installing?

So many modern inverter machines that will run on 30A or less current.

papadave likes this.
  3. don2222

don2222

Yes that is true but all the Mig or Tig welders and plasma cutters I am looking at have a 50 amp 250 vac plug. See pics below. A 50 amp 250 vac plug requires a 50 amp 250 vac outlet that requires # 6 wire which requires a 50 Amp breaker which requires a 50 amp circuit breaker sub panel or higher. I am installing the breaker into a 125 amp sub panel.
    Is there any other way to wire this in to meet the electric codes???
    Click pics to Enlarge:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. MasterMech

How much do they want for that TIG machine?

5. MasterMech

Way better machine for the same $$$. Note the 5 year warranty vs the 90 day Harbor Freight.

POWERARC 160STH - Stick Welders | Everlast Generators

Runs on 30A/240V or can be run at reduced capacity on 120V. Foot pedal is optional but honestly I rarely use mine unless working on small intricate welds seated at the bench. I actually prefer the torch switch but I'm almost always welding standing on my head or having to move all over the place.

Disclaimer: I do not have any financial interest in Everlast Welders (or any other welder manufacture for that matter). I am simply a very satisfied customer.

Also no AC on those TIG units means no aluminum for you! There are a couple good inverter AC/DC TIG machines out there for well under $1000 if that interests you. AHP would be one to check out.

Why not hook up that ground? Your pulling the cable anyways.

6. ironpony

ironpony

Electric, to big is better than to small.........you already have all the parts, you will have the ground in the box pigtail it to the box. the ground does not have to be a #6 wire it can be smaller my NEC book is packed away otherwise i would look it up for you.

7. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Ditto.

Technically you don't even need the ground, but I would and going with code was the question.
    Using other than inverter machines can pop 50s especially aluminum or continuous use.
    No comment on the equipment I'm a miller whore.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  8. don2222

don2222

9. MasterMech

Input power is just that, input power. The reason a 250v is "better" is because you get twice the power available at any given current draw over a 120V machine. 50a/250v is going to be more power than you will ever need for a home welding setup! But the major appeal of a dual voltage machine, especially a smaller, portable inverter unit, is the ability to plug it in for remote repairs away from the shop.

You're all over the map with your welder selections. What are you looking to weld? Or if it's nothing specific, what process(s) do you want to learn? (MIG, TIG, Stick)

10. don2222

don2222

Specifically, Some of the welds on pellet stoves are small and break easily. From my experience it is usually doors or hinges that break and do not close properly. It was a hopper hinge on a Napolian NPI-40 insert that broke so the hopper was hard to open and close. Also the door frame on quadrafire Santa FEs break all the time and should have 3 welds on the support not 2 welds so the welds support the load better. These metals are fairly thin and I must be careful not to burn thru them.
    The pic below is of a side door where the inside support broke and had to be welded back into place.

Attached Files:

11. MasterMech

Those won't be too bad to do. A TIG machine would probably be the easiest to learn in that situation and would be advantageous as it would not be throwing spatter all over the mechanicals and electricals inside a pellet stove. It is a slower process and very manual/controlled so you can start slow and not worry about burn through. Much easier to see what is happening as you do it too. It is however, more expensive to get started as you need an argon bottle and regulator to get going.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  12. don2222

don2222

Thanks for all your advice!

MasterMech likes this.
  13. don2222

don2222

Hi
    The Box is plastic otherwise I would attach the ground.
    Since the neutral wire is much heavier than the bare ground wire, is this the correct way to wire the outlet?
    The white neutral on the 3rd prong.
    Outlet has green wire next to terminal but there is no green! If 6-2 was used then the 3rd wire would not be heavy enough?
    I used 6-3 with the heavy white neutral on the 3rd prong?
    See pic below
    Click pic to Enlarge:

Attached Files:

14. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I just figured it out!
    New welders like new kitchen stoves are going to 4 wires for safety. The metal chassis is connected to the ground wire and the electrical components to the neutral wire.
    Therefore I used 6-3 and a 3 prong outlet for most welders.
    It is done unless I get a welder with 4 prongs, then I can easily change the outlet because I have 4 wires to the box!!!
    Thanks guys!
    See pics
    Click to enlarge:

Attached Files:

mdavlee likes this.
  15. don2222

don2222

Hello
    When using the old 3 prong
    The white neutral is not needed,
    The trick is just use the bare ground
    See
    Ground VS Neutral - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

The circuit panel shown above is a 125 amp sub panel off the main 200 amp panel.

If new welders come with 110 device electronic meters... etc, then the neutral will be there in the wall and ready to be connected!

Pic 1 - The white wire is capped off with a scotchlok polyvinyl Choloride Spring Twist-On Wire Connector
    Pic 2 - 3 prong welder outlet installed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  16. don2222

don2222

Hello
    It works! See pics below

It took 58 Feet of 6-3 wire and the insulated new double gang workbox, cover plate and 50 amp welder outlet, 3/4" Romex connector and breaker was approx $125.00 not bad!

Attached Files:

17. don2222

don2222

Hello
    One more adjustment.
    After researching many welders, I found there are many 120 vac welders that may work well here for light metal. In fact one of my top favorites is the fairly new model Millermatic 211 which is 240 or 120 vac. However a 120 vac 15 amp outlet is not going to cut the mustard here on amp draw so a 120 vac 20 amp outlet makes good sense. Really for another $33 dollars at Home Depot, I picked up a 25 foot roll of 12-2 yellow indoor Romex with only 2 feet left over, I changed out the single gang box with the 15 amp 120 vac outlet for a double gang box to add the 20 amp 120 vac outlet. However when I had to move the box up higher so it would not hit the 50 amp outlet, I hit a knot in the wood and the nail bent and the plastic on the box that holds the nail snapped and broke! Back to Home Depot for a quick change and moved the new box down slightly so the nail would be below the knot in the 2x6 and banged it right in!
    Now the wiring is prepared for any welder. :)
    So basically 3 circuits here with each outlet on a different circuit breaker for more power!
    85 amps total! :)
    See pic below:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016