In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weight comparison of 20" ES and 28" ES Light

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by DexterDay, Apr 29, 2014.

  1. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I know that MasterMech has done this elsewhere, but figured I would post it up here.

    I recently acquired a new 28" ES Light (thanks MasterMech ;)) and a new 20" Stihl ES bar. Just holding them both, the 28" feels a little lighter.. (I know most are thinking "Yeah Right"). But I ordered a scale last week and it finally came in yesterday.

    The results are in.... And the lighter bar is....

    20140428_180024.jpg

    20" Stihl ES- 2 lbs 13.8 oz


    20140428_175955.jpg

    28" Stihl ES Light- 2 lbs 13.4 oz

    Yep... The longer bar, is .4 oz lighter than the shorter bar.

    I don't mind my 25" on my 460, but it's pretty heavy.. 3 lbs 10.7 oz.

    1398821759426.jpg
    (For those that notice, it is a wide nose 25" ES :))

    Anyone have a standard 28" ES they can weigh?
     
    draftgear and MasterMech like this.
  2. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Hang onto that wide nose ES. They are an endangered species now. :(
     
    DexterDay and Oliver1655 like this.
  3. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    image.jpg image.jpg
    I had similar results. ;)

    Dex, your 460 should balance perfect wearing that bar, even without the monster felling dawgs.

    image.jpg
     
    draftgear and DexterDay like this.
  4. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I like those Dawgs ;) Looks like it goes faster. :rofl: :lol: Kinda like how the Magnum sticker adds 10% more power. Just by being on a saw :smoke:lol...

    Hmmm... Is that second bar, just a standard 28" ES?
     
  5. Boog

    Boog

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    1,181
    Likes Received:
    2,600
    Location:
    Where my spirit is free
    I've got a spare one that I was bringing to the GTG so you can put it on your earthquake!
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  6. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Second bar is a wide-nose 20" ES.
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  7. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Wow... too bad my "big" bar is 25" ES. My puny arms need the workout, but that's pretty impressive.

    What's the sticker difference on say a 28" bar?
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  8. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    About 2x what the equivalent ES bar runs. I get a stellar deal on them and a 28" is still over $100.
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  9. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    It would look good on there. .

    Plus it gains 10% more power just by adding the sticker. :)