In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weather station

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by raybonz, Dec 31, 2013.

1. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Wondering how this weather station is working for you?

Well Seasoned and bogieb like this.
  2. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

I’ve been very happy with it. I have had zero issues with it since I bought it. The only Maintence I have done is replace the rechargeable batteries after 2.5 years. The inside station has never lost signal with my outside array and always uploads to weather underground. I have some anolog temp sensors outside as well as a rain gauge that I monitor To compare with my weather station and they always give the same recordings. I would highly recommend the ambient weather stations. :thumbs:

Well Seasoned, raybonz and wildwest like this.
  3. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Good to know as many are interested here.. My new 5-in-1 has a replaceable humidity\temperature sensor board now and that's what tends to cause issues.. New board only $10.00.. Overall I like it especially the app which works on the PC and cell phone..

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I've been curiously watching my monitor tonight, reads 99% humidity. I can still see a couple house lights far off but no mist or fog ? Opened the door to look and my breath instantly turned turned into ice vapor. Zero wind here is unheard of and we have it now coupled with high humidity. Fun and curious stuff!

ETA, I cannot see any stars.

Attached Files:

5. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

OK so I just upgraded my device that connects the weather station to the internet and added an indoor temperature & humidity sensor.. I placed the indoor sensor right next to the humidifier sensor and found the humidifier reads 4% lower than the new sensor.. I offset my new sensor -4 % so both agree but I thought that 4% wasn't really terrible considering it's a relatively inexpensive humidifier..

Edit: I have since then removed the offset as I am not sure what is really off and the sensor and the humidifier are generally within a few % of each other.. The Acurite indoor temp\humidity sensor is pretty cool and links up with the weather station so you can see your inside info anywhere online..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Well Seasoned and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Interesting results on the rain gauge. We got a couple of inches of snow last night (2 inches after all was said and done, but A LOT melted when it hit the ground), weather.gov says about an inch of precipitation. This morning, snow stopped, sun is out, but its windy, wind is picking up snow and blowing it around and my rain gauge now reads 8.25" of precipitation and still climbing. Any ideas? Thinking I might just be out of luck, how would a machine know the difference.

yooperdave likes this.
  7. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Inside of the 5-in-1 sensor there is a gizmo that looks like a seesaw with little spoons on either side.. How it works is liquid enter fills the spoon and tips the seesaw and a sensor detects the spoon tipping and calculates as a predetermined amount of rain.. The seesaw triggers the sensor every time it tips.. This being said I wonder is snow is piled onto the 5-in-1 and melting into the rain gauge giving false readings? Unsure if wind would affect this but I am doubting it would have much influence on the readings..

wildwest likes this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

That makes perfect sense!

Check out how the snow blows around here (much different than I've seen before, even with 40 years in Colorado that gets extreme gusts a couple times a year) Evolution of "The Blob" Snowdrift

It was high 30*s here today, wind blows previously fallen snow onto the seesaw that melts. Rinse and repeat again and again the 5-in-1 thinks it's new precipitation. Not a big deal, we have VERY little annual precip here anyway.

raybonz likes this.
  9. HDRock

HDRock

This is not a weather station Multi-Sensor Color Display & Indoor / Outdoor 3-Sensor Smart Home Environment System with My AcuRite | AcuRite
    But I didn't figure I really needed that because, The airport I get my weather from Through the National Weather Service is only 3 miles away .
    This setup is pretty cool , setting up Everything Was easy and it Works great, I can See the temperature in my rooms on the display or Wherever I am Using the app or a PC , So I know if I need to get my butt home and add more wood to the stove .
    From what I have read I can have 7 sensors added to the AcuRite Access .
    I'm a little confused about the sensors though , I don't think I can add anymore of the ABC type Because I already have 3 .
    Here is some screenshots of Dashboard and charts pages on My AcuRite
    I'm still figuring out whether I need to do some calibrating or whatever so my outdoor sensor is Indoors in the stove room

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Trilifter7, raybonz, Skier76 and 2 others like this.
  10. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice!

raybonz and HDRock like this.
  11. HDRock

HDRock

Going to be a lot nicer than 6 of these scattered around the house :)
    00613-800x800_1.jpg

raybonz and Well Seasoned like this.
  12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I just got the Lacrosse 5-in-1 Professional Weather station ... For Christmas, been wanting one :dex:... Costco had a discount on them, and my loud mouth may have said something out loud, and just maybe someone heard me... :D

raybonz, HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.
  13. HDRock

HDRock

OK, I was trying to calibrate My indoor Temperature humidity sensors , When I did it On The display unit worked just fine, But when I tried to calibrate online , It wasn't making any difference , Until I realized, On line, The calibration adjustments are in tenths , Not whole Numbers like the display :doh: :picard:Must be old eyes :BrianK:

Ordered one of these to calibrate the humidity On the sensors

raybonz and Well Seasoned like this.
  14. Skier76

Skier76

I picked up two 5 in 1 Pro Plus Acurite stations about a year and a half ago. I have one in CT and one in VT. The only issues I've had has been a random drop every day or every other day with my CT station. I have both reporting to Weather Underground. The CT station usually shows a gap for about an hour or so at some point during the day. This happened with both the SmartHub and the newer Access (device used to get sensor data and send it to the internet). Not exactly sure what's going on. Acurite has been helpful and is working with me (connected via another forum related to weather stations) to get it resolved.

Oh, one issue lately with the VT station; the display has gotten a bit wonky. The normally black background has changed to a funky purple. It's still readable, but looks a little weird.

Overall, I've been happy with the stations. I really like getting the data online. It's neat to see trends on Weather Underground.

I use an app on my iPhone called PWS Monitor and it gives a great graphical representation of station data for the given day. It pulls the info from Weather Underground.

raybonz, HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.
  15. HDRock

HDRock

Twisting track
    I have found that acurite's Support page is really kind of limited On information
    (connected via another forum related to weather stations) what's the name?
    I haven't had any dropouts so far, From the Access

Well Seasoned likes this.
  16. Skier76

Skier76

wxforum.net Lots of good info on stations over there.

HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.
  17. HDRock

HDRock

Thanks
    I thought that might be it but didn't know, I ended up there couple of times Searching

Skier76 and Well Seasoned like this.
  18. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Try to keep your Acurite access receiver at least 5 feet away from your wireless router or you will drop connection.. This happened to me.. Moved it a few feet and problem went away..

Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.
  19. HDRock

HDRock

That's good to know if I have problems .
    I haven't had a lick of trouble so far though , My router sits on a shelf 6 1/2 feet Above the floor , the Acurite access is 3 feet to the left 4 feet off the floor.
    Have 6 temp/humidity sensors now and a 7th in the basement with temp/humidity/water detection.
    Question : does a 5 in 1 weather station Take up one sensor spot to the access

Well Seasoned likes this.
  20. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

I believe it does.. Three feet should be OK, too close and you'll go offline if this ever happens to you..

HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.