In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weather station

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by raybonz, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Skier76

Skier76

raybonz likes this.
  2. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

3. Skier76

Skier76

I was eyeing that one. I like the idea of having the screen to view in the house and the option to view it remotely.

How do you have yours mounted? I have a LaCrosse unit (wired) that I have mounted on a TV antenna mount that I rigged up from a bit box store. Thinking I could use that for the wireless as well.

4. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Mounted on wood shelter as seen.. Keep line of sight to maintain connection.. I do lose it but it comes back.. Rarely look at base station.. Find latop or iPhone is easier to see and work with.. Like the PC weather interface best..

Attached Files:

Skier76 and My IS heats my home like this.
  5. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Something like that may be next in the weather lineup here, I like your ability to interface with your PC and mobile devices. I have an Ucu-rite (not sure of the model #) and I have a base station and an outdoor unit on the top of my garage. It just does the basics.

Chvymn99 and raybonz like this.
  6. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

I really like the color version! Weather Environment System with Wind and Rain 01057

Chvymn99 and My IS heats my home like this.
  7. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I just went on their website, they are still advesrtising sale prices.
    I might take a gander :)

Chvymn99 and raybonz like this.
  8. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

9. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

I've had the Acu-Rite 1054 system for 2 years now. The actually weather station sensor and inside display unit work great, however I have a lot of issues with my bridge. The bridge stops sending data to the app or weather underground a lot. My dad has the exact same unit and does not have as many issues as I do but still losses connectivity to the network. It's frustrating bc none of my online data regarding temp ranges or annual rainfall are accurate, Or even close! :headbang:
    I think a lot of my issues are because the bridge has to be directly plugged in to the Internet but they recommend it be away from your router or modem. My only plug in is from the router so it makes it hard to get it very far away. Just this weekend I ordered an Ambient WS-1000-wifi unit. It has a wireless interface with a built in bridge so I can put it anywhere I want. It is a little more pricey at around $250 but should fix my issue that has been driving me nuts this entire year! :hair: Ambient makes similar units to the 1054 station for around the same price of $150 that I would also check out. http://www.ambientweather.com/observer.html
    I would recommend getting a unit that can upload to weather underground, very cool to be able to follow and compare your data to others around you. The wunderground app is very nice too! I use it over every other weather app.
    Just my $.02

Chvymn99, Skier76, raybonz and 2 others like this.
  10. tuneighty

tuneighty

Until I can afford one, I use a wunderground location a few miles from the house. I always doubt it's accuracy though, but I have a severe phobia of trusting thermometers....

This unit looks great.

bushpilot, raybonz and Trilifter7 like this.
  11. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

Got the new weather station up yesterday. Seems to be updating much better! :thumbs:
    The interface is a little different but for the most part gives me the same data just way more consistent so far. It pushes updates live to weather underground every 15 sec and I can actually see the updates come in!! :dancer: I upgraded my mounting set up a bit too. I used two sections of 3/4" galvanized pipe and mounted it to the shed around 6' above the roof line. So far so good!! :whistle:
    I finished just before dark so the pics aren't that great but here's what I was able to take

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Loon, Chvymn99, milleo and 4 others like this.
  12. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Came out great!

Trilifter7 likes this.
  13. tuneighty

tuneighty

Very nice!!!

Trilifter7 likes this.
  14. Flatbedford

Flatbedford

I have wanted a weather station for a while too. My wife gave me an Ambient Weather WS-1400 for Christmas. http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html
    It is the only station I have owned and seems reliable so far. It is not in the optimal location on my property for accurate wind readings and won't be until spring when I can set a pole in the ground. The wunderground uplink is cool, but I wish it also had a display for in the house. I feel kinda silly using the internet to get my home temperature when I am AT home.

raybonz, Chvymn99, Trilifter7 and 2 others like this.
  15. Chris F

Chris F

After buying the cheaper ones and being disappointed with the lack of wireless range I went with the Davis about five years ago and it's been working good since. I also upload the data to Weather Underground where I can access it remotely.
    The bad part is my computer has to be on to transmit it there but there is an accessory you can buy to put the data directly to your router and I'll go that way someday.

raybonz likes this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi I thought I would move to this thread and not clutter up the weather sticker in the help forum.

It's set up, working, display in "learning mode" :thumbs:

Question, I had the option to share data and declined. Assumed it uses internet data, correct? (I pay through the nose for my satellite internet data and have a monthly cap). If I set up the app on my cell phone will that use my satellite data as well?

Attached Files:

Skier76, Pallet Pete and raybonz like this.
  17. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

If your looking at your weather station with your phone then you are already sending data through the internet.. I don't think it uses much data though..BTW my new sensor is same as yours..

wildwest and Pallet Pete like this.
  18. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

That’s a nice setup WW!

wildwest and raybonz like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

WWW mentioned a couple times while putting up that the wind might have it's way with it since it's plastic. We shall see. I was SOO excited when you posted the sale, I've wanted one for decade or two now and last one I looked at the base model was over $400 and on up, and it required running wires from inside to outside too, what a PITA. There's a good chance the impeller or wind direction will get damaged/blown off, possibly more of the unit but taking a chance at a much better price. He laughed when he unpacked the mounting screws and used other ones (though that won't help the unit itself).

I have not set it up on my phone, I'll wait till I'm in town next time to download the app and then track my satellite data usage for uploading the readings. The nice display ontop of my desk is nifty!!

Thanks Pallet Pete :)

raybonz and Pallet Pete like this.
  20. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

My old sensor survived several blizzards and many Noreaster's no problem.. The anemometer still worked fine when I replaced it.. I like your display!

wildwest and Pallet Pete like this.