In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

We Have Ignition...I hope!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jul 8, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No raccoon sightings, but we think it was one who swiped our bagels Wednesday night. We heard a noise by the picnic table. I investigated with my bright flashlight and nothing. We had observed pine cones dropping from the enormous EWP trees and making a thud when impacting so surmised thats what it was. Next morning she couldnt find bagels in food tote. We did put food and trash in car overnight, but it was still out after dark. I checked the area and found the chewed open empty bag maybe 60' away from the table. She did have the radio playing music, not loud but enough to drown out some noise. Shouldve given him the cream cheese too!

Midwinter, brenndatomu, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive seen videos of a guy making torchs like you speak of.
    I think a fast seasoning hardwood would work best...ie maple/birch/beech IMO.
    You could make wood bundles, kindling bundles jo191145 and post a sign.:woodsign: FOR $ALE!
    What campgrounds are near you? I looked up the one you stayed at and camping is still available there.

3. jo191145

jo191145

Nelson’s campground is near me. Boring IMO. Campground should have water IMO. Preferably river.
    There’s already a few bundle sellers in the area. Campground charges too much and others profit from that.
    So I like to be different, no bundles. I’ve got some pines that need to come down. I’ll try a dry one and see how it works.
    Like you I enjoy a decent blaze. Others may be more happy with a rocket stove sized fire,,,,at least some of the time.
    Good for cooking I hear.

If I had forks on something I’d whip up some pallet bins and sell in larger cheaper quantity’s. Uglies and notches etc.
    Hmm, could rig a set of forks onto the back of the log arch. Wouldn’t lift high but enough to move them around.
    damm another project!!!

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

went on a family picnic to a local state park and decided to take the torch with me and give another try. Its been sitting in the hot sun just below the deck on South side of house.
    I put a few charcoals from the grilling in the kerfs and it caught and burned. They had ashed down to a small size. Burned maybe 2+ hours. Not a lot of flames and made a lot of smoke. Ill try a hardwood next time. Maybe birch or maple. This was spruce. IMG_0791.JPG IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0799.JPG

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

First 2 times I did this, a guy gave me 2 wicks he made from a long strip of burlap that he soaked in wax and twisted. They worked great.
    P230715_16.13_[01].jpg
    P230715_18.17.jpg
    P230715_18.21.jpg
    P230715_18.38.jpg
    P230715_19.08.jpg
    P230715_19.29_[01].jpg
    P230715_19.29_[02].jpg
    P230715_20.04.jpg
    P230715_20.40.jpg
    I definitely need to make a few more with these rounds of oak and mulberry I have.

Lone_Gun, MikeInMa, imwiley1 and 10 others like this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looks like that wick worked perfect. What species is the log pictured?
    My first time ever making one. Think there a second i cut in my PA somewhere.

jo191145 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The first Swedish Candles I ever saw had holes bored at the bottom of the kerf, I always assumed that it was so the fire could get enough air, turbocharge it if you will.
    I think the wood type matters a lot too...Maple would be a good one I bet.
    And obviously moisture content still matters...

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And I think they maybe had a large hole down the center too...

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i think mine was still too wet from my first burning attempt. It was spruce that was fresh cut back in late Winter.
    Couple different versions. A Swedish torch and a Swedish candle. Candle has the the hole down the middle and is ideal for cooking based on what ive seen.

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

To be honest, I don't remember the species. It was a hardwood.

I just sawed down close to the bottom and they've burned excellent, no drilling required.

11. tamarack

tamarack

Road flares work pretty good for stuff like this. Alot of people in my area use this technique to light up old stumps for warming fires during winter hunting, or snowmobile trips.

12. MAF143

MAF143

I've been playing with them and the 4 peice pie wedge ones are tough to get lit in my experience, the more points down the center the better they seem to take off. I have made all mine from standing dead ash so far. The ones with 6 or 8 pie wedges work pretty well, but I always try to bottom start mine with a few squirts of used motor oil an hour or so before lighting then with a little Citronella oil down the center just before lighting. I will try some of the igniters I made today with noodles and candle wax.

I also have tried the "rocket stove" style and they seem to light quicker and take right off. I made a few of them today and will take some over to my cousin's place tonight for the bonfire.

rocket stoves.jpg

I find that these really don't take any longer to make than the other style when chain is kept sharp. Actually less cutting.