In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

We are a sick bunch…

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FarmerJ, Dec 28, 2022.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's where I'm at too...except I'm going to reuse the cylinder too...only using a 16 GPM pump, so I'm hoping the stock lines will work, but if it has too much restriction/builds heat I'll upsize everything to 3/4", including the cylinder ports (the cylinder design lends itself to being modded pretty easily)

metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal and JD Guy like this.
  2. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I could go to a 9 hp motor and there is one pump next size up from mine that would make more sense.

I was considering a 420cc motor because that’s also what’s on the rugged made.

I’d like to find a 10hp electric start option IMG_9785.png

And either the 12877 or the 12697 pumps. It would pretty much be a direct bolt on install.
    IMG_9784.png
    as hot as it’s getting with the current setup, I’d probably also go with a 10 to 15 gal external reservoir then too. With electric start, then I could run an electric fan cooling system too.

3. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I got pieces parts today to install a new pressure line off the pump and to let me put a 5000 PSI pressure gauge on.

the lines on the splitter are some foreign format that the hydraulic shop doesn’t have. So I standardize it to 37 * JIC fittings. I also upsized from 1/2” to 3/4” hose as well.

The loose fitting is the 13mm that was on the splitter.
    The fitting on the hose is the 3/4” NPT
    IMG_9789.jpeg

the difference on the hose side for the origin vs the JIC.
    IMG_9790.jpeg

If I’m going look at buying a hose, with the option of going to a larger pump and engine, I’d actually need to go from 1/2” line to 5/8” line according to this sizing chart. So I got 3/4” everything.
    IMG_9787.jpeg

4. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I found these also last night on pump operation and adjusting.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

FarmerJ I would be interested in how much $ you got into in and improvements that was accomplished

metalcuttr and eatonpcat like this.
  6. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Well it is doing pretty much what I expected…

this is back a few months when I got the splitter.

this is today with the new 3/4” hose.

out speed only is 5 seconds pretty much on both and the full 24” cycle time out and in is 10-11 seconds as seen in the videos.

now I wished I had videos of it actually splitting wood with the old hose.

what I noticed…

the low pressure transfer is right around 800 psi. Considering it’s rated for 400-900 psi, I’m okay with that.

when you dead head the cylinder, the pressure gauge is showing 3600 psi. Considering it’s rated for 3000 psi, I’m okay with that.

what I also noticed is that the splitter is now cycling faster when splitting and staying more in low pressure/ high flow side of the pump even in some of the knots that had been kicking me into the high pressure side of the pump.

when you look at that chart above, 1/2” line is about maxed out for this pump and engine. So it’s not fighting the hose AND the load to get the work done. I actually was able to idle the engine down a bit and get the same work done.

Canadian border VT

the hose, fittings and gauge all in ran me $219. But it’s all also rated for 4000 psi too. The local farm supply had hydraulic hose and fittings. But it’s only rated for 2250 psi.

what I do see happening is working the pump and engine easier extending their lives and less need for the 10 hp engine and the next sized up pump.

Chaz, metalcuttr, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Thanks… didn’t you get a prince pump?? I thought those we’re good pumps used on high end splitters

8. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Nope, still using the original Bucher pump that came with the splitter.

just got done splitting for an hour.. ran it at about 3/4 throttle the whole time as well. Cut just as fast or faster. Stayed in low pressure side and didn’t struggle it seemed as bad. Even using the 4-way wedge.

I checked the temperature tonight with the IR thermometer too. Surface temp of the tank and all the hydraulic components was 140ish degrees.

I wanted to have the pressure gauge on the machine to see how well it was functioning.

even at 3/4 throttle it would CUT knots with 1500 psi of pressure.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

metalcuttr, T.Jeff Veal and FarmerJ like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's why I always tell people to not worry about getting the "biggest baddest" splitter they can find...a 20 ton splitter will split almost anything...if you have a 4" cylinder on that machine then you are cutting knots with about 9.5 tons of power (at 1500 psi)

11. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Aah…

yeah, that is for the rugged made 728 when I finally get it. It was on back order when I ordered it. I got the 6-way wedge for it too. My semi bled me dry for being able to purchase that splitter so I’m making do with this one.

not that it’s for nought.

my plan is to use this as a vertical splitter to bust large rounds up over 28” in size to be more manageable for the rugged made eventually.

and before I buy the rugged made, we’ve decided it’s more important to get a decent conveyor first.

Chaz and metalcuttr like this.
  12. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Why I bought the 25-ton and not the 28-ton.

I’ve got a 4 second faster cycle just by getting the “smaller” splitter.

Chaz, metalcuttr and brenndatomu like this.
  13. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

getting to the end of the hardwood. I split about 1- 1 1/2 hours a day at it.
    IMG_9820.jpeg
    I don’t want to buy any more totes really. But may anyway. I still have a bunch of this red elm left that is needing to have something done with it. The single tote I have left empty I want for cookies.
    IMG_9821.jpeg

I’ve already sold a cord of ash wood without even trying. All by word of mouth. Two face cord off the stacks and one right out of the trailer.
    IMG_9823.jpeg

When I get done with the hardwood, I get to start on the cherry.
    IMG_9822.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  14. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Example of a red elm knot that the splitter is cutting and only showing 1500-1600 psi. 4” cylinder.

At 1600 psi and 12.6 in^2 that’s 10 tons of force. Pretty much the highest pressures I’ve seen all weekend.

IMG_9836.jpeg

15. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Video of the splitter running and the pressures it creates. Even the 4-way wedge is only 1100-1200 psi. About 7.5 tons.

direction I’ll probably go is to install a new cylinder from rugged made onto the splitter. They have 3/4” working ports instead of 1/2” ports. Install a new valve with 3/4” working ports too.

you need at least 3/4” hose for the flow rate on retract out of the cap side of the cylinder.

IMG_9899.png

It’s like all of the hose sizing calculations are done for the high pressure side of the pump which is 3.8 GPM.

I found this interactive Nomograph for sizing hydraulic lines today.

Interactive Nomogram for Sizing of Hydraulic Hoses

eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  16. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Is it wrong to “want”?

17. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

This…
    IMG_9969.jpeg

got stacked here…

IMG_9968.jpeg
    and filled it out to make a full two cord.
    IMG_9970.jpeg

Took about an hour. Now to go clean up the red elm mess. I have to get the pallets hauled down to the farm and then bring this down. This stuff is showing 35%+ moisture. And it stinks. I’d rather smell oak.

Plan is to pile it into a pallet bin like Chris at In The Woodyard does. I’m learning I don’t like working with the IBC totes.

IMG_9972.jpeg

The monsters wanted some attention.
    IMG_9973.jpeg

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Why's that?

19. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Clumsy to work around. Take up way too much space.

If you cut out the side, just doesn’t seem right to fill properly. I don’t have a conveyor to fill them yet,

I’m not looking forward to dumping these into the trailer to haul them to the farm.

Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and brenndatomu like this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Reminds me of an ex GF! :eek: :rofl: :lol: