In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wanted to use the 441 today after a service and it's snowing

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by firecracker_77, Dec 16, 2013.

  1. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I'm really bummed out. I had blocked out time this afternoon and then it starts snowing. Had some wood to noodle and now it's snowing like crazy. I don't even want to mess with this. I had never even thought of it, but I'm not going to get all that moisture on a saw. Apparently, it's not inconceivable to use a saw in the snow.

    http://www.stihlusa.com/information/articles/working-winter-wonderland/
     
  2. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Ran my old craftsman & husqy at -5°f in snow & ice, with no special stuff needed.
    Worked fine.
    Don't have a new Sihl though : LOL :rofl: :lol: ct splt 1-15.JPG swp log1.JPG
     
    thewoodlands and savemoney like this.
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Enjoyed the pictures. What time of the day was the one with the blue tint taken? Dull here today. Spitting a little snow.
     
  4. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    LOL! No...what I was saying...can you use it as it's snowing? If there was snow on the ground or on the wood I would not care. I just don't want moisture screwing up the saw.
     
  5. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,287
    Likes Received:
    66,697
    Location:
    IN
    I don't see how a little snow is going to hurt your saw. Think loggers PNW.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  6. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Thanks lukem...off to cut a bit then.
     
    lukem likes this.
  7. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    Yeah snow isn't going to hurt it. I seen a logger pull a saw out of the snow in the bed of his truck and knock most of it off and fire it up.
     
  8. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Snowing pretty heavy that day
    file says Jan 16, 2010, 8:16 pm
    but I know that's not right, way dark by then.
    Old camera , I didn't reset date & time when new batts went in.
    Some where in the 5 hour window of our daylight. guess 2 PM ( (+/-) 2 hours :) )
     
  9. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    my brother calls me from Florida and rubs it in any chance he gets. They have been "suffering" with temps in the 80's for a few day, then he called to complain that the temp today was only to be in the 60s to 70s. He sits outside all day, every day in a garage port with his laptop, tv and smart phone. He is disabled and can't get around well, so perhaps that is the place for him. Not for me, I don't like traffic, heat, or flat lands.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  10. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Shoot my cuz uses his to cut holes for ice fishing and it never seems to hurt it.
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  11. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Ask me how many promotions I've turned down because of the lack of topography and even more so the seasonal changes that FL lacks.
    I mean how you gonna burn wood to heat your house in FL? - happy medium here, cold enough to burn, mountains, but NO shoveling snow, occasional dusting, seasonal changes are the same(later&earlier) but instead of 6mo of winter, 3-4months of mild winter, 2-3months of mild fall/spring and a few hot months - you actually acclimate to them - shade is your friend...oh and no crazy bug season in summer... well there are crazy looking bugs but mosquitos won't carry you away:p
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Diversity is a good thing.

    I like Alaska all but Mid Dec thru Mid Feb.
    cold & dark.

    Above 75° is getting hot for me. So south in the summer is out.

    If I could figure out how to "Snow Bird" for 2 months, be perfect for me.
     
    savemoney and mdavlee like this.
  13. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    :) little snow, wind, rain, or dirt never hurt ;)

    Heck, Shelby on Axe Men, runs his saws in the water. With the Powerhead getting soaked. Hard to believe that it still runs with that much water splashing on it.

    So, if you cut? Where are the pics.. ??
    image.jpg
     
    mdavlee and thewoodlands like this.
  14. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Fresh chain on the 441. Was noodeling like crazy. I had the chain that came with it on earlier and wasn't getting any performance. Once I swapped chains...was like night and day.
     
  15. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    What I wish is that I had a 2nd person to take video of the noodles I was putting out. Now that was a good time. Sharp chain = smile on your face
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  16. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    How was that first start FireCracker?

    One thing to note for cutting in the snow, carburetor icing. It generally happens when the temp is around freezing, I would say 28 to 35 degrees or so. If the saw seems to be starving for fuel/gasping for breath at full throttle, then it could be moisture in the air forming ice in the carburetor throat. Most saws intended for serious use have a winter /summer shutter that you move depending on conditions.

    Classic symptoms of carburetor icing are the saw starts and idles normally, revs up well, and suddenly starts to lose power. Usually the saw will surge like the carburetor jets are clogged. It should return to a normal idle if the throttle is released. The symptoms are very repeatable.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  17. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Today, I went to the dealership and had a flat tire. As I was wearing work clothes, I didn't want to crawl under the car and I have AAA coverage. While I was waiting, I checked out the new saws....291, 261, etc.... The 291 has gotten expensive now at $449. The 261 is only $100 more. I picked up another chain today while I waited.
     
  18. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    That 261 will be going up in price. Once the old model 261s are gone, only the 261C-M will be left and that one is awful close to $600. And the 291 has gotten cheaper. Last I saw it it was $479.
     
  19. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Ah...$449 seems like a lot to me. 441C-M still lists at $909. They had a 311 for $479. I'd pick that up for near the same price as the 291. Gives you an extra .5 hp
     
  20. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    It's only $50 off from the MS290 which was $399 with a 20" bar. Not too awful considering the design is 20 years newer and greatly improved.

    Betcha the 391 is only $40-50 more than the 311 and it prob weighs the same as the 291/311 too. ;)