In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wall Shield Selection

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Rush Battle, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam

I love having a shop stove. Farmers insurance loves it too. So did the permitting authority. It passed inspection of course along with three overhead doors.

I would really like to try one of those extra large wood furnaces with a window. More power!

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

The whole purpose of having a 1" gap behind the heat shield is so the heat acquired by the shield has a place to naturally convect and lose the heat it gained. This is why you need a gap at the base of the heat shield. The cooler air at floor level will naturally draw up and behind the shield as the warmer air rises.

:handshake:

Rush Battle, Chaz and wildwest like this.
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam

It sure can’t hurt to have the gap and space. Just not required at all. Neither is the shield.

Rush Battle, Chaz, Hoytman and 3 others like this.
  4. BHoller

BHoller

Y
    Yeah it may make a slight difference in that one small spot. But compared to the massive heatloss through the rest of the concrete it won't matter.

Rush Battle likes this.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam

Aesthetically the wall covering in this setting can be very cool. If this space will also be a bit of a party room (it should be) then you can do some great stuff with metals, a mantle, and don’t forget the bottle opener!

You’re putting in a very artsy fartsy stove at great cost. Maybe spruce up the hearth to match.

6. BHoller

BHoller

It might as well look good because I doubt it will be enough heat

7. Highbeam

Highbeam

Like an enormous campfire on a cold night, if you stand close enough it will be warm. The IS is no slouch. A very radiant heater that will warm the buns.

The wall shield is just for looks. The big honking 800 degree metal box will be a welcome addition to the space.

Rush Battle and jtstromsburg like this.
  8. BHoller

BHoller

I agree if you get close to it you will get warm. But 1200 sqft with 16' ceilings and uninsulated concrete on the bottom 8'. That stove is going to be pushed hard all the time and even then the shop will be far from warm. I would be looking at the biggest furnace I could get.

Hoytman likes this.
  9. yooperdave

yooperdave

I had an old barrel stove in a garage with no insulation and open rafters.

It would get comfortable enough in there to work in flannel shirt but not t-shirts.

Rush Battle, wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Same experience here... that’s what we did in my dads shop years ago- that barrel stove would run you out!

11. Rush Battle

Rush Battle

Fortunately I don’t need as much heat as y’all way up north. I know I won’t get a huge temp boost, but all I need is to warm up from 42° to mildly cool. If this doesn’t work I’ll try a VF100 :dex:

Eckie and yooperdave like this.
  12. billb3

billb3

The rear heat shield Woodstock sells is $65.
    You won't even see it.

If you're at the recommended 14/6 inch clearance you're not going to cook anything.
    Any heat the wall absorbs will just get conducted back into the space. You've got no loss to effect a ROI on materials.
    If you want to put up a panel for aesthetics then by all means go for it and I hope it looks rad.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  13. Highbeam

Highbeam

Unfortunately that’s a great furnace with an absolutely horrible view of the fire.

yooperdave and wildwest like this.
  14. Highbeam

Highbeam

My shop is insulated better but bigger and in a similar climate. It might take a good part of the day but I can move the temp from 45 to tshirt weather within two loads of fuel. A 3.5 cubic foot load of Doug fir is just coals in 3 hours. Maybe the IS will squeeze more heat out of each load.

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I still wonder about the traffic sign in this place we bought, I would much rather have looked or had shown this house with the silver backside of the sign, scratched or not, rather than the hunters blaze orange "End Blast Zone" front. Idk, maybe it was family joke, but......

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    yooperdave likes this.
  16. Highbeam

Highbeam

The aluminum plate that is the convection deck on my nc30 may or may not have originally been a sign.

17. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I used metal roofing. After I posted on here the below photo, the group advised me of some of the same things mentioned already.

[​IMG]

1. Needs 1” space between wall and shield. I cut up a piece of 1/2” conduit into 1 1/2” chunks to make spacers and used the roofing screws through them.
    2. Space at bottom and top to allow convection.
    3. I added narrow strips vertically to each side to widen the shield. (Ripped one panel in half with circular saw with blade installed backwards).
    Needs 36” away from any unsheilded combustible material.
    4. Insurance company was fine with a “shop” with big doors but not a garage. My tractor got moved to the leanto outback.
    5. Keeps an old leaky 2 story shop but with batt insulation comfortable in the teens and 20s. If I let it go out, it takes about a half day to get some thermal storage back into the concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAF143, yooperdave and fox9988 like this.
  18. yooperdave

yooperdave

That was decades ago at a garage that stayed with the ex. Things changed before the garage got improved. The garage I have now is finished and insulated and gets to t-shirt temps; Thank You NC-30! :handshake:

Highbeam and Hoytman like this.
  19. Hoytman

Hoytman

Insulate that concrete inside and out. You’ll be money ahead in the long run.
    Agreed. That much concrete is a very large heat sink...I mean heat zapper. It’s like trying to heat a cave.

No reason to push a new stove that hard all the time, it’s an accident waiting to happen...insulating that much rock makes good sense. That’s where I’d put my money...and gosh you already built such a nice shop...might as well finish it right and save burning a super hot stove every minute of the day and save fuel while you’re at it.

Stove will heat better in the center of the shop...and you won’t have to worry about a shield. Not always possible I know.

BHoller likes this.
  20. fox9988

fox9988

Get a barrel stove red hot and they make a ridiculous amount of heat, burn pretty clean too.

Eric VW likes this.