Once or twice a summer, we go to Telegraph Cove and have breakfast. We have watched this outdoor restaurant grow from a small shack to the busy place it is today. It sits on the "American" side of the cove with a wonderful view of the water, marinas and the "other side". Two groups have split the cove into two totally different resorts. This once was a small sawmill town that campinspecter grew up in. Before WW II it was a small Japanese fish salting plant and sawmill. Now it draws people from all over the world to watch Orca whales and to go sport fishing. View of the marinas The older part of "town" Newer section Dining room Inventive use of a stump
There are two campgrounds attached to these resorts as well as lots for sale on the "American" side. The boardwalk goes almost all around the cove. At one end is a fantastic whale museum. As well, there is a Kayak tour group and a grizzly bear tour group working from this area. The grizzly tour group takes people up into the mainland of BC to one of the inlet estuaries. When the fish are running up the rivers, there is a lot of grizzly action. We used to keep our sailboat here until we moved to Port McNeill. Total tourist resort area in the summer with a lot of people going through. I think the permanent residents number 3 in the winter.
Oh this is a welcome post for sure!!! Miss this place a lot! Thanks hope it was a great time... I found myself saving a couple photos from fishing a few years ago. Just got back from a down and back one cove over, both dad (in the rear) got our limits that day. He caught his both in the morning and I got both in the afternoon. Explains exactly why I hope to go back. Lotsa fun.
That's a cool picture from right below where we were sitting. I hope you get back soon to enjoy the area again.
FatBoy85 not to belittle your great catch but this is a picture of campinspecter and a friend with their catch from the end of the dock behind you. I don't think that these ling cod are still lurking around that dock today. A picture of Telegraph Cove's booming grounds in the back ground where the east marina now sits.
Priceless pics! And I'll bet campinspecter is the one that got the piece of wood for the fish, right??