I've never bothered to do it before. We don't get a whole lot of winter around here anymore but they are GENEROUS with road salt and brine whenever there is even a chance of flakes. My old truck had both rocker panels and right rear fender disappear on me because of rust, but all the frame and suspension have nothing more than some light surface rust that you would expect on a 17 year old vehicle. As we get closer to winter I'm starting to wonder if I should get some rust protection done on the new truck while it's still clean. Any things to avoid? DIY or just pay someone to do it. I don't have a lift and it doesn't sound like it would be anything but slightly miserable to do myself. Just starting to research but looking for any opinions.
I have used both Fluidfilm and Woolwax. Both are good products. There are some good YouTube videos on the process.
I use rattle cans of FluidFilm on an annual basis. Been working very well for me. Been treating my 03 Tundra and the Lex suv we recently got. I did have the Jeep Wrangler WoolWaxed before we sold it. The guy sprayed it thick. I’d have hated to have to work under there.
If you have it done when the vehicle is new, they have a warranty. Krown Rust Control | Protect your vehicle from its worst enemy, rust. We just had our 6th yearly application done a couple weeks ago. Have been doing it since the vehicles were new ('21 models). There is ZERO rust underneath. Even the suspension bolts are rust free. Nice thing about Krown vs doing it yourself, Krown treats inside all the doors, fenders, rockers, trunk, etc. It's more than just spraying the underside. Another good one is Corrosion Free
YES!! Since I've started with oil spray on my vehicles (none bought new) the only place that has any rust, had it before...and the progress of it has been slowed WAY down! If you get it now, before salt bath, you will prolong the life of the vehicle greatly. And it makes working on the vehicle much easier down the road too...don't have to torch off and replace everything underneath when it's time to work on something. I do ours every year, or maybe every other once they have a few years worth of film built up...especially on my truck, which is not a daily driver. Our local guy is only $60 and it takes him 10 minutes, so there is no way I'm going to fart around for hours, and get all slimed up doing it diy! Fluid Film and Woolwax are the two that I see available commonly around here...seems to run $100-150 (and up) from what I've seen...I see a number of places advertising on FBMP locally. I see most shops offer it in "clear"(amber really) and black. Aluminum corrodes once exposed, so while it might last a bit longer than steel, it's not the end all be all solution! In some ways it's worse...steel can be cut out n replaced...once aluminum gets comprised, it's very difficult to do much with it, unless caught early. Body men hate it for crash repairs too...NOT a very forgiving material! Steel is much easier to work with in that regard.
I get my 2018 truck oil sprayed every fall. Have zero rust on it. Not sure if it's because it's less than 10 years old or its because if the spray but not taking any chances for $80 a year.
There aren't many places around here to get it done, but online prices are $400+. Maybe that just the first treatment and follow ups are closer to the prices you guys are posting?
I bought my own undercoat gun and use corrosion x hd on the frame and such and aviation formula elsewhere