In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Vedolux Lambda 450

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by campinspecter, Jan 1, 2021.

1. campinspecter

campinspecter

I did not give a description of what each picture was about so I thought I would re-post.
    The upper part of the firebox seen through the loading door. The bent rod you see in the picture is the brush and rod for cleaning the flame tubes.
    100_5862.JPG
    The lower part of the fire box. In the bottom you see a cast iron grate on top of refractory base of the firebox. The smoke from the fire is drawn through the hot coals of the fire through a narrow slot in the refractory where super heated secondary air is drawn into this passage; burning the smoke at around 2000 degrees f. The cast iron grate is an improvement over earlier boilers as this was a common wear point.
    100_5861.JPG
    This is what's called the reactionary chamber where complete burning of tars and resins takes place. Some day I will try and get a picture of the elusive blue flame! The narrow slot you see in the refractory is the bottom of the nozzle which leads up into the firebox.
    100_5865.JPG
    These are the computer controlled air drafts. There is a temperature sensor and a oxygen censor in the flue leaving the boiler. The computer analyzes the oxygen and temperature of the flue gases and adjusted the amounts of primary and secondary air supplied to the fire. If there is no smoke or no temperature, the computer shuts the boiler down. The upper control is the primary air to the fire in the firebox. The lower is the secondary air that is injected into the nozzle in the passage between the fire box and reactionary chamber.
    100_5864.JPG
    This is the draft inducer fan which is controlled by the computer. It pulls air through the two drafts and is also controlled by the computer.
    100_5866.JPG
    The flame tubes with turbulators., The turbulators slow down the passage of the hot gases before they go up the chimney. Also, this makes for easy cleaning of these tubes which is a real process on some boilers.
    100_5863.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. campinspecter

campinspecter

This is a cutout view of the boiler .

upload_2021-1-23_16-42-50.png

Gasifier, billb3, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've never seen turbs exactly like those with the individual wires like that...it looks like they are twisted into a helix though?
    The helix design also makes the flue gasses spin, which centrifugally makes them stay in contact with the tube walls, making for better heat exchange. Without them, path of least resistance is right down the center.
    Looks like a well designed wood fired hydronic heater! :yes:

4. campinspecter

campinspecter

After almost 40 years of Jetstream being really easy to clean that was the clincher!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam

What a cool design. Seems so simple.

With the exhaust sucker fan, do these things even need a chimney with height?

6. lukem

lukem

Can't say with certainty on this model, but those fans are usually draft inducers....not draft replacers.

7. campinspecter

campinspecter

The chimney is not all that tall - only about 16 feet but it does draw good. The Jetstreams had both draft inducer and a pressurized firebox so draft definitely was not an issue. The new boiler is not hooked up yet. I am waiting for a flue adapter that is on back order.

Gasifier, Midwinter and brenndatomu like this.
  8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Before we moved the new boiler into the boiler room, campinspecter had to remove the old one. After he removed the heat exchanger off the base, we found that the base was falling apart.
    100_5882.JPG

The based was cracked in a few places.
    100_5883.JPG

If this was our only option, campinspecter would have taken the time to repair it and put it back into operation. Instead he took a sledge hammer and crowbar to it and broke it up and hauled up to our trailer. Next stop for it was the dump.
    100_5884.JPG

The heat exchanger was in good shape but pretty useless without the base so it made the journey up to the trailer as well.
    100_5885.JPG

It is a long uphill climb for it but as you can see, we aren't going to be pushing it up the hill.
    100_5886.JPG

On its way up the hill. I get to run the winch and campinspecter did the steering.
    100_5888.JPG

On the trailer
    100_5889.JPG

the work horse combination. Trailer attached to woodsplitter. Woodsplitter attached to truck.
    100_5890.JPG

It just needed cargo straps and away it went to the dump. They used a forklift to take it off. We kept the dolly it was sitting on. That dolly has come so useful.
    100_5891.JPG

9. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Next job was to make the space where the boiler was going to sit a little wider. We had put in metal studs, rockwool insulation and covered the wall with steel siding to insulate the boiler room. Now we took out an area of the stud wall so the new boiler could sit closer to the concrete wall and give us more room between the boiler and the storage tank.

100_5894.JPG

The chimney access had to be moved up as well as the new boiler is taller than the old Jetstreams.
    100_5895.JPG

100_5897.JPG

campinspecter created a ramp for getting the new boiler in the room. He also sank an eye bolt for the winch we were going to use. The winch belonged to my grandfather and was a bit temperamental.
    100_5898.JPG

Here it comes. I was able to winch it to the ramp but not up the ramp. Not enough arm strength so I got to steer. Scary!
    100_5900.JPG

Safely in the boiler room. I didn't steer it off the ramp.
    100_5901.JPG

A bit of a struggle but we got it to within 12" of its final spot. We are waiting for chimney parts to get here so the final alignments can be made.
    100_5904.JPG

Gasifier, billb3, Midwinter and 3 others like this.
  10. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

While we are waiting for parts, campinspecter had a few odd jobs to do. One was to repour the door sill that was taken out to get the boilers moved. Our dogs never go in the boiler especially by themselves. Guess what Shadow did. There is something about fresh cement that fascinates everyone

100_5913.JPG

100_5914.JPG

We have about 20 cords of wood that is two inches too long for the new boiler. campinspecter made a jig to shorten the firewood. I have a video but it posts sideways. I will try to work on that.
    100_5929.JPG

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Oh my...I feel your pain...that is exactly why I switched from a Kuuma VF200 to the larger VF100 (yeah, the model numbers seem backwards) because I had ~20 cords cut at 21-22" and the VF200 takes 16-18"...after one whole winter of cutting 4-6" off all my wood, I was done with it!

12. campinspecter

campinspecter

It won't be too bad if the new boiler can burn the little pieces without puffing. I am going to try burning them on startup.

100_5933.JPG

13. campinspecter

campinspecter

My current Expansion tank is in the story above my boiler room; about 6 feet above the top of my storage tank. There is about 16 feet of 1/2 inch copper pipe between the storage and expansion tank and 12 feet of that run is almost level and has been there for the last 38 years with no apparent corrosion problems. The new boiler wants the expansion tank 98 inches above the top of the storage to prevent oxygenation. My question is this - does the 12 feet of almost level pipe reduce the need for more elevation between the expansion and storage?

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hmm...dunno about that one...might be a question better posed to the boiler guys on the other site...

15. 3fordasho

3fordasho

Those Swede's make a very nice boiler, sad to say very superior to anything I've seen here made in the states. I don't need one of these but I want one. One point of interest, my Attack lambda boilers use the same exact control board right down to the same button layout and display screens. I actually used the Vedolux manual to access the settings because it was better written. Great job on the install so far!

16. campinspecter

campinspecter

I've had lots of holdups waiting for things, like a chimney adapter that's back ordered and not going to be available till sometime in March. So I had one custom made out of stainless!

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

This has been quite the process to get the chimney in place before campinspecter can do any plumbing. Long story short, we replaced the original chimney with a new one From 7" to 6" which is the proper size for the boiler.
    Standing tall outside all nice and shiny.
    100_5997.JPG

Woodshed lengths are all covered in but here is a pic of the boiler room. Double wall pipe down to the adapter.
    100_5998.JPG

Standing on my tiptoes to get this picture.
    100_6001.JPG

Now starts the process of plumbing. campinspecter is trying out layouts to see how it goes before putting it together finally. He is waiting for a distribution box to be made.
    100_5999.JPG

100_6000.JPG

18. Highbeam

Highbeam

Thanks for the updates.

19. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Plumbing is done and it doesn't leak. Yeah! campinspecter forgot to smile when I took his picture. The equipment he was using to cut and thread the pipe was my father's. I don't know if Dad bought it new or used but it has been around for a long time.

100_6059.JPG

100_6060.JPG

Makes it hard when you are trying to keep things level.

100_6062.JPG

100_6063.JPG

100_6064.JPG

Next step will be the wiring for the sensors and pumps.

20. campinspecter

campinspecter

It's hard to smile after a long day cutting threads by hand, but Woodwidow wanted the picture so I went along with it! But I did have fun with this plumbing project !!!