In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Variable Speed Fan Controller Help

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Aug 4, 2015.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I have this fan:

    upload_2015-8-4_10-36-22.png

    I bought it for my old home. The exhaust fan on our 1972 Jenn Air cooktop died, and we knew all along the run from the stove to the outside was too long. Turns out this was a monster, it almost sucked our food down the exhaust :rofl: :lol: and it sounded like a tornado. We ended up with a different one. I thought I could use this one here for something, but I'd like to turn it down.

    This is the recommended speed dial

    upload_2015-8-4_11-6-46.png



    Could I use something like this instead?

    upload_2015-8-4_11-5-9.png
     

    Attached Files:

  2. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Yes.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  3. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Why would someone spend $200 instead of $20?
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  4. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    I have know idea. This review made me laugh.

    Screenshot_2015-08-04-12-52-51.png
     
    wildwest likes this.
  5. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    :handshake:

    and

    :rofl: :lol:
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  6. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    first one is a variable auto transformer, second is your basic SCR type
     
    wildwest likes this.
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Why might someone want one kind over the other?