In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Value of green cord silver maple

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by midwestguy1, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

At a competition for multiple days, or someone running a concession stand

farmer steve and Screwloose like this.
  2. Screwloose

Screwloose

I love silver maple. Major portion of my heat comes from that. Plus I find the biggest nastiest most twisted stuff is the best burning. Hydraulics all the way....

Mitch Newton and Midwinter like this.
  3. farmer steve

farmer steve

Yep. Or what ever they want. I deliver 1/2 cords to a lady for $100. She loves the smell. Sold some for "holiday"fires back before Christmas in my 6 cubic foot bins. Came out to a little over $400 cord.
    20181217_081616.jpg

lknchoppers and Midwinter like this.
  4. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

Save out a few of those green pieces for yourself, throw them on the grill to make some smoke while you cook salmon. Maple smoke is nice on salmon.

Midwinter likes this.
  5. midwestguy1

midwestguy1

Think it's hackberry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. woody5506

woody5506

Does the average wood burner who doesn't cut down trees, split, stack, and go on firewood message boards concerned with what species the wood is or where it ranks on BTU charts or what a BTU even is??? Heck I get made fun of by people when I geek out over my favorite woods to burn...Actually I've learned to just stop myself from going on those rants around people who don't burn wood.

Winston, Midwinter and farmer steve like this.
  7. jrider

jrider

You hit the nail on the head here! I sell wood and most people know oak or at least they think they do. When they inquire about my mixed hardwood the first thing they all ask is if there is any pine in it (cause we all know your house would burn down if you ever used that indoors.)
    A few years ago I had about 12 cords of locust which I kept separate in order to get more $ but I had to educate all of the buyers who asked about it. The average wood burner wants anything that's not pine and that is dry enough to make flames without a struggle.

woody5506, Midwinter and farmer steve like this.
  8. woody5506

woody5506

I don't sell wood, but from what I see from the people who buy it is just like you said - as long as there's no pine, and it's "mixed hardwoods" then that's all they care about. Even around here, cherry firewood gets sold at a higher price for whatever reason. Not like it's some big BTU wood like hickory. Pretty sure people think it's like some novelty wood because it smells nice. I see firewood dealers lying all the time about how great a certain species is that they are selling, but hey I guess you gotta have a decent sales pitch.

Midwinter likes this.
  9. jrider

jrider

Dry, burnable, clean wood, delivered in the amount you agreed upon is the only sales pitch needed.

farmer steve and Midwinter like this.