In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Using own wood for bbq, Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by FatBoy85, Apr 13, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

amazingribs.com NortheastAl
    I spent a lot of time reading this and the articles as far as this one and his explanation on combustion drew the best picture by far. If anything, you want to always use seasoned wood as it is easier to control a hot fire than a cold one. His key here is "Temperature control": get the fire hot, get everything ready and don't cook your food a moment too soon. That blue smoke is what you want. I made a wonderful dish using an apple wood chunk ans some plum sticks. Its amazing how different it is when you actually get the fire going and then let it freeflow. The bbq can naturally make good on this as it controlled a temp for me while still keeping the fire hot and blue smoke emitted. Good Weather was even a key for this too. Not kidding. Ive almost been afraid of the heat but that isn't the necessary worry since the fire was built hot then the dry wood was put on top. It naturally was able to control itself without secondary burn(when you open the bbq then that flash burn happens). Dramatic difference and using just chunks or sticks of fruitwood can help keep that fire under control. Let those burn awhile. I didn't start eating until close to 9 but I was having all the time in the world resulted in delicious food.

2. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I just read on that forum that someone took Myron Mixon's cooking course and he advocated for using fresh applewood. I knew I wasn't totally crazy when I thought I'd heard or read it somewhere.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Ok there maybe something that you could use here. Not all wood is bad to use on a grill wet, you could use fruitwood green but maybe not other woods like hickory or oak. I just read (involving your Myron Mixon mentioned too!) someone said using wood as a smoke part but if you got your fire as hot as you want it, shoot go for it. He commented that Myron used the freshest peach he could find but he didn't mention how much. I would say its not going to be just full on logs of fresh peach. Couple chunks and he's ready to go.

I figure if its going for just flavor and not this billowy smoke ridiculousness that seems to put too much into the food, then there just depends on your pallete taste. Some like more smoke flavor than others. We're not aiming to be wrong here and I like this banter. Im thinking if green wood is used, great if it works in a pinch. I may try this on a simpler meal.
    Just some chicken and fresh wood.
    Test out the theory eh? What have I got to lose? Im admitting Ive done some smoking errors here,just a determination of how much wet wood is used.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    NortheastAl likes this.
  4. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I'm thinking I may try it with some prunings from my apple trees to see if it works better or not. Like you said, trying it on chicken would be a good idea. I'd hate to ruin a ten hour Boston Butt. :hair:

FatBoy85 likes this.
  5. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

FWIW, some people I know of use bark exclusively for smoking. Couple peels of shagbark or Applewood bark, no harm to the tree.

thistle, NortheastAl and FatBoy85 like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

yeah I have some branches that are finger width too. Might be best I start there before I start up my cookie cutter.

NortheastAl likes this.
  7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I would love to just have a steady supply. Apple, cherry, whatever. I figure if I can find the trees I can do the best way possible by starting small and letting the trees provide me the chips and fruit. This is likely to get extremely delicious.

Sean and NortheastAl like this.
  8. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    I have some apple wood that was cut last summer that I have top covered that I look forward to using for cooking this year. Its to small for me to want to use it in the stove as its mostly decent sized branches. Should be fun.

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yes if you got it down to like hand length then its just easier to manipulate in there. I lucked out on some that was just perfectly sized for grill and well shoot I just need to get grilling soon. This next week coming into May looks awesome as far as weather goes. You can tell I'm getting excited as RAIN has been wearing out this place and overstayed its welcome. When Im sick of 90 degrees then it can come back.

NortheastAl likes this.