In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ugly stump and face cuts.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MikeInMa, Nov 30, 2022.

1. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

A fine contribution to the thread!

T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  2. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I understand that. I have dealt with crap like that before. I usually walk away if they are not cooperative. I removed a tall oak for a guy a few weeks ago, and the tree was hanging out over his brand new pole shed. I decided the best course of action was to use my 200' bull rope, anchor to a tree off to the side of the shed (no access to the sides or rear of shed), run the rope out past the shed to the driveway, and use the truck to pull the tree over or break it off. He said the cost to bring in equipment was the same as fixing the roof if it hit, and he had no problem with pulling it. The truck did a dandy job. The entire root ball rotated out of the ground and the tree went over perfectly. Tiny root ball, and sand for soil. It would have lended on his shed any day. No pictures or video, sorry. Sometimes you get people who are very understanding and work with you.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

They more or less did the same thing with his father putting tension on the rope with the PU.

I wanted to take down a couple smaller black birches and move a tint plastic shed out of the way. The gnarly limb was my main worry as there wasnt really anywhere to escape to quickly.

Glad it went smoothly for you IC! :thumbs:

John D, T.Jeff Veal and isaaccarlson like this.
  4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Today's contribution
    IMG_20231009_095243.jpg
    IMG_20231009_095218.jpg

More info can be found at - Oak down

5. woodsman416

woodsman416

6. Dunmyer mowing llc

Dunmyer mowing llc

Not an ugly stump, but an embarrassing/ ugly drop I did a few months ago. Big cherry tree that had a big y split at about 3ft. Had Osage orange limbs hung up in it already on the woods side. Then I managed to hang the whole woods side half of the tree up in the forest. That was a fun one lol. The other side went smooth

Attached Files:

7. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Looks pretty good from here. Plus, you're writing about it so you have that going for you, so I say good job.

8. jo191145

jo191145

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

NOT MY WORK, but qualifies for this thread. 10" dogwood. Mebbe he's inventing a new technique...the interior hinge? :picard: :saw:[​IMG]Looks like it was felled with a saw duller than my love life! :eek: :picard: :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I believe that’s a concrete cowboy technique called the Hum-burnt :whistle:

11. Yawner

Yawner

That is pitiful! Some people just should never get around a chainsaw, I know that for a fact. For the sake of human welfare and trees it's a wonder a license is not required.

12. jo191145

jo191145

Maybe a little off topic but there was ugly involved.
    Finally got this hang up down. Was hoping nature would handle if for me but it wasnt to be.
    Normally I’d cut small sections of the trunk off until it falls but this one wasn’t cooperating. Plus I’m stubborn. I move logs, preferably 12 feet not rounds. Rounds require more work than logs :)
    What it needed was a spin to roll it out of the tree it was hung on.
    In my defense I did try wrapping a strap and spinning it out with the log arch. Just not enough weight between the arch and atv to pull that stunt off.
    Sooooo, need some extra leverage. I did try by hand without the winch but I lack the horsepower required.

IMG_3283.jpeg IMG_3284.jpeg

Who didn’t see this coming? LOL. I gave it an 85% chance of happening before I started. Was never a huge fan of that handle anyway. I’ve heard it cracking more than a few times when I’ve used it by hand. The kind of tool you can’t trust to hold together when you really need it. Looks like Mahogany. Doesn’t rot but not the strongest wood. I wonder how Black Locust would hold up?

IMG_3285.jpeg IMG_3287.jpeg

It was at this point the dashboard rocker switch on the winch fully failed. Ad to leave it like this for the day. It’s down tho.
    Writing this post it occurs to me I should go study the hinge and see where I went wrong. I wasn’t aiming for this hangup.

JDU, T.Jeff Veal, SimonHS and 5 others like this.
  13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

That has an interesting look to it.
    Screenshot_20240512-172623_Firefox.jpg

14. jo191145

jo191145

Yeah I noticed that LOL. I’d like to say it’s a trick of the camera but I’m not sure. Notching trees above your eyesight level is always interesting. I’ll have to check it out. Was a month or more now since I dropped it.

That would explain why it veered more to the left tho.

15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

jo191145
    I’ve heard rumors that black locust is brittle, yet a lot of people make tool handles from it. If you’ve got a lathe, I’d give it a shot. Can’t be any worse than that original handle :D

16. jo191145

jo191145

IME it is quite brittle. Drive a Sheetrock screw thru it near an edge and it’ll split easy. Honestly I’m not sure if that equates to weak in a handle use. Aiming the grain in the correct direction may be more important. I do leave this tool outside so the rot resistance is imperative.
    I was surprised it didn’t break in the hook arm. When I first got it I wasn’t happy with its ability to move larger logs. I cut the arm and added some extra metal and a larger angle for big stuff.
    Well when I cut the arm I realized it’s either cast iron or cast steel. I figured that weld would let go a long time ago already.

T.Jeff Veal, MikeInMa and John D like this.
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive seen healthy BL snapped off at ground level from storm damage. IMO I think it'd be too brittle. Driving tool...hammer, sledge etc maybe okay, but something that would take a lot of stress no.
    Hickory maybe? Perhaps Eric or Craig (buzz-saw) can make an aluminum handle for ya?

BTW: gotta hand it to you for swamp Yankee ingenuity on that winch hooked up to the cant hook. A+ Ive tried rolling a hang up with one and I didn't budge.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  18. jo191145

jo191145

I may do some Black Locust break tests,,,,,ya know for science and all.

A nylon strap and a sapling tree can be fashioned into a tree twister if ya ever have the need. I considered going that route but this was faster LOL

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Would a metal pipe welded to the business end of the peavey work?

20. jo191145

jo191145

Yep. Already figured out how to shape it for an integral fit ;)
    I like the idea of wood but don’t think my lathe is long enough to fashion a handle that long.