In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Twisty bendy elms

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jonathan Y, Aug 22, 2024 at 2:43 PM.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Same here. Standing dead elm 90% of the tree could go in the stacks to burn the same day. It may be tougher to split than other trees, but it burns great.

2. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

I'll go with the consensus and agree it's American elm. I still think it smells too good to be American elm, but maybe after smelling stinky cottonwood all week the elm doesn't smell half bad in comparison.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024 at 3:25 PM
  3. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

I just read that American elm and red elm can create hybrids in nature, and red elm also naturally crosses with Siberian elm. Furthermore, elms in general have the tendency to develop ecotypes, which are sort of like locally evolved sub-species based on local growing conditions. Not all trees do this, but apparently elms are especially prone to doing so. This could go some way to explaining why it can be hard to ID the different elms.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I forget which variety, but Eric Wanderweg says elm smells like hospital bandages and I agree.

5. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

That’s a fair point. The best way to identify them is by their leaves. I will say that it’s usually quite easy for me to tell the difference between Slippery, American, and Siberian. Also usually the American is standing dead from Dutch Elm Disease.

brenndatomu and huskihl like this.