In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

"Twas a good day in da woods

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by ole, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ole

ole

We had a record high temp of 73 today so I went to the woods. I found an oak that was full of insect holes and the bark was falling so down she came.

IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_3028.jpeg

IMG_3031.jpeg

The Husky ran great. Then I found a widow maker over an atv trail so she had to come down also.

IMG_3032.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

The first cut off the stump was rotten but the rest was good.

clay shooter, RCBS, John D and 10 others like this.
  2. ole

ole

I had my Maasdam rope puller with so I carefully attacked the widow maker that I found last fall. Winter did not put her on the ground so I did. There is still some good wood hung up but a man has to know when to walk away.

IMG_3037.jpeg

Then I found another oak that was up rooted but hung up. Much thought went into this and my plan worked.

IMG_3040.jpeg

She is down. A rope puller if used correctly can keep a man breathing. Not sure if I will cut it up tomorrow as a buddy is coming out to shoot some guns. It’s not going anywhere and it’s safe, now.

IMG_3039.jpeg

I have 3 more oaks on the ground that will keep me busy for awhile.

clay shooter, RCBS, John D and 10 others like this.
  3. ole

ole

Got back after it today. Amazing how saws stay sharp when you don’t hit the ground! I should concentrate on that.

IMG_3043.jpeg IMG_3044.jpeg IMG_3042.jpeg

This old boy lost his top a year ago. I worked him up for a bit then ran out of pre mix. There’s a lot of wood left but I will get it,,,,

IMG_3045.jpeg

JD Guy, RCBS, metalcuttr and 10 others like this.
  4. ole

ole

Got to the woods for an hour today. My goal was to run the big saws out of fuel. Mission accomplished. Found another dead red on the main trail. Bark was falling off and dozens of insect holes. An easy drop and got 27 nice rounds out of it.

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

My next project is cutting out a new atv trail. I have the 192 full of fuel and one quart left in the can. That should do me. I don’t think I will make any more firewood this spring unless a tree falls across a trail.

I best start hauling and hand splitting soon as my woods pile is looking kinda puny:

IMG_3052.jpeg

The next time you guys and gals see my woods pile it will be substantially larger. I got oak rounds laying all the frick over. Now the work begins!

RCBS, Skier76, Woodwidow and 12 others like this.
  5. ole

ole

Spose to rain all day here today. That’s ok we need it. Seems like a good day to split some oak in the shed. My atv trailer is 62” wide and 8 feet long. I got her full of 16” rounds. A good rainy day activity I am thinking,,

IMG_4245.jpeg

RCBS, Woodwidow, metalcuttr and 8 others like this.
  6. ole

ole

It was 65 here today so I commenced to hauling and splitting. My woods is still a little muddy after our recent rain so I only hauled single stacked loads. IMG_3062.jpeg

My weapons. Never touched the maul or the wedge as red oak splits pretty good.

IMG_3064.jpeg

We did have a casualty. I’ve been seeing a sick doe hanging around. She would struggle to get out of my way as I approached her on the trails. I got news. She is a he. A button buck. Found him dead just off a trail quite recent because the coyotes have not started on him yet.

IMG_3061.jpeg

Nature can be cruel at times but at least he is not suffering anymore.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    RCBS, Woodwidow, metalcuttr and 8 others like this.
  7. ole

ole

Well, progress has been made. My woods pile is slowly growing. I have about half of the rounds I had cut split and stacked. My wrists went on strike late this afternoon. Spose to rain tomorrow my wrists will like that. Back, muscles, and shoulders are fine it’s just the wrists that don’t like hand splitting.

IMG_3068.jpeg

IMG_3069.jpeg

IMG_3070.jpeg

About 95 per cent red oak,,

RCBS, Woodwidow, MikeInMa and 8 others like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Awesome mountain of wood! :dex:

9. Erik B

Erik B

I am slowly getting the wood the county cut along my road. I finished cutting the last of the ash logs that had been piled in the ditch. Now I have to bring the splitter down there and get busy with that part of processing. The pile in my yard was from the wood left by the county guys that I have cut and halved and stacked. With the speed I am attacking it, I should be done with that by the middle of April.:BrianK::BrianK: DSC04530.JPG DSC04525.JPG DSC04526.JPG DSC04527.JPG DSC04528.JPG DSC04529.JPG DSC04531.JPG

brenndatomu, RCBS, John D and 7 others like this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Some nice wood there Eric. Slow and steady gets it done! :thumbs:

How's that 362 treating you?

11. Erik B

Erik B

I do like it. It is wearing a 16 inch bar. I have a 20 inch bar for larger wood. With a sharp chain, it really likes to eat.

12. Erik B

Erik B

I didn't even know I had ash trees on my property until the county guys told me.:zip:

brenndatomu, John D, ole and 2 others like this.
  13. ole

ole

It happens EVERY year. I think I am done cutting, sharpen and maint the saws, and put ‘em away.
    Last night a customer from town calls me and requests two full pickups of rounds. He wants a load of hickory and black locust. In rounds as he has a hydro splitter. I told him mid April and he said that’s fine.

14. ole

ole

I am done hand splitting all the rounds I had cut. I gathered up a trailer of uglys and crotches. I will go over to my Amish neighbor and use his hydro to get the job done.

IMG_3072.jpeg

brenndatomu, RCBS, John D and 5 others like this.
  15. ole

ole

Had to wait for two Amish kids to get off the school bus before the crotch split party. I looked at my watch as I threw the first ugly on the hydro? It took us exactly 17 minutes to get er done. Those boys are good workers.

IMG_3073.jpeg

brenndatomu, RCBS, John D and 7 others like this.
  16. John D

John D

Nice job seems there is always something to do in the woods

brenndatomu, buZZsaw BRAD and ole like this.
  17. ole

ole

It was in the 40’s today so I got back after it. Perfect temps to make firewood. The guy from town who wants three loads of rounds got his first load today. Red oak.

IMG_3141.jpeg

IMG_3143.jpeg

He asked how much and I told him “you decide”. He gave me $80. Then I went and cut up another red for him. He wants to split it himself.

IMG_3145.jpeg

Then my neighbor calls me. Seems like a “big azz” black cherry tipped over last night in his abandoned junk yard. Well I guess I better take a looky see. He did not lie. She’s a big girl. 23 inches at the stump.

IMG_3129.jpeg IMG_3140.jpeg

It was not a bit rotten. The wind just put her on the ground. Got 41 big rounds out of her before the fully leafed out top.

IMG_3127.jpeg IMG_3128.jpeg

I don’t sell black cherry I will put this thru my stove. Man, those rounds are heavy water was spraying off my bar as I cut it.

JD Guy, eatonpcat, billb3 and 8 others like this.
  18. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nice work. $80 for a load of rounds isn't bad either! You got to do the fun part while your customer has to do all the rest.

19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Good amount of rounds on the cherry. :yes: That’ll be a treat to burn when its time comes.

buZZsaw BRAD, brenndatomu and John D like this.
  20. John D

John D

Like Eric said you sold for a good price and didn’t have to split any of it

buZZsaw BRAD and brenndatomu like this.