In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

"Twas a good day in da woods

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by ole, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ole

ole

Got up early and buzzed up to our cabin to attack the two dead reds the neighbor (or town board) gave me. No drama, dropped em where I wanted, and for the most part the rain held off.

IMG_2769.jpeg IMG_2771.jpeg IMG_2773.jpeg

Ran one tank thru the 261 and two thru the Husky. Did NOT hit the ground once for a change. In no time at all they were bucked up.

IMG_2775.jpeg IMG_2776.jpeg
    Tossed the branch wood into the woods per the owner’s wishes. By 130 pm all the rounds were wheeled into the shed. I prolly won’t split them for a year or so. So all that was left was 6 little raked piles for the campfire. And the double stump. It was a good day.

IMG_2777.jpeg IMG_2779.jpeg IMG_2778.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    Dok440, Skier76, clay shooter and 7 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

twas a good day for sure. :thumbs: Nice that the rain held out for you. Way to get it done Ole! :salute:

3. ole

ole

Cutting red oak reminds me of growing up on the farm. To me, it smells like corn silage!

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Always enjoy your pics ole. Great work on the clean up and a pretty decent score of rounds. I love red oak for the ease of processing. It's a dream.

5. ole

ole

Yes red oak is my fav. I won’t need to borrow a hydro up there my two implements of wood destruction will do just fine on these two reds.

6. ole

ole

Tis the season they say. I burn about 3 cords each winter. So my plan is by tomorrow eve there will be close to 2.5 cords stacked in the garage. I best be getting after it!

IMG_3974.jpeg

7. ole

ole

Good news. What I thought would take awhile took no time at all. My wife helped. She is a better stacker than I.

IMG_3976.jpeg IMG_3975.jpeg
    Next week my project is getting 7 oak six panel light oak doors put in. Replacing some dark hollow cores from 1997 when we built this house. I do not look forward to this but I got a trim carpenter buddy coming over to help. He works til 430 so we think we can do it in 3 evenings if we stay outa the beer.

IMG_3977.jpeg

eatonpcat, JD Guy, Chud and 8 others like this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Looks like you need to whack 'em, and she stack 'em! :thumbs:

eatonpcat, ole, yooperdave and 3 others like this.
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice job Mrs. ole :thumbs: C'mon over and ill put you to work! :stacker:

ole and theburtman like this.
  10. ole

ole

Since I didn’t have a Packer game to suffer through I went to the woods. I got 5 oak and 1 black cherry on the ground.
    Oak
    IMG_2793.jpeg

Black cherry with some burls for buddy

IMG_2795.jpeg IMG_2796.jpeg

more oak

IMG_2800.jpeg IMG_2798.jpeg IMG_2797.jpeg

this is where I ran out of pre mix. Will finish this Monday

IMG_2801.jpeg

Houston we have a problem. Saw this broke oak on the way out. Will give it good study before I put it on the ground.

IMG_2803.jpeg

Chains are still sharp, just mixed up a gallon of pre mix will be back at it in the morn.

11. thescratchylens

thescratchylens

Hi ole -

I am loving this Rock County thread! I started at the beginning then skipped here to see if it’s still active and - YES!

My question is do you still sell firewood? If so, what are your current prices? I’m assuming they’ve changed since 2018.

I ask because my wife and I are having a wood burning insert installed very soon (the deal is already done; we’re not just talking about it!). I am harvesting what I can from my lot, and have some wood laid by that is nice and dry from a couple years of hobby-cutting. But we’re nowheres near what we would need for this year. We will have plenty CSS for following years at the current rate, but need a nice stash to get us started. We can heat the house no matter what, but would prefer to use wood over other means.

Thanks!

Now to go back and obsessively read this whole thread…

rpdragon and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  12. thescratchylens

thescratchylens

DNR won’t come to our property because it’s less than 10 acres. That’s unfortunate. I’ll have to use my wits and good advice from people who know more than I - here and in my very small circle of friends. “Very small” being…one.

I have acquaintances - sure, but real friends? One. He knows who he is, and lurks here, so this shout-out is for him.

Stephiedoll and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  13. thescratchylens

thescratchylens

Looks like my question about firewood for sale just got answered. So glad to read you’re taking care of your friend and older neighbor. They’re fortunate to have you.:salute:

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  14. ole

ole

Yes I do sell oak firewood. I get $100 per face cord and I do not offer delivery and never will.

I am 5 miles south of Evansville.

15. thescratchylens

thescratchylens

Yeah I got the whole “no delivery” part from your very entertaining (and informative) thread. I’ll discuss with my CFO (The Wife).

ole and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  16. ole

ole

Another pleasant day in da woods. This is where I ended up last night. Got 3 nice jags.

IMG_2811.jpeg IMG_2810.jpeg IMG_2808.jpeg

Studied the broke oak over the road and decided to let mother nature and gravity take her down. So I went on the hunt for another red. Found one that only had one branch with leaves and no acorns. I put him to an early death.

IMG_2812.jpeg

IMG_2814.jpeg

Got three nice piles out of it 30 good rounds before a branch.

IMG_2811.jpeg IMG_2810.jpeg IMG_2815.jpeg

I think I will stay out of my woods for awhile. Between 430 yesterday and 900 this morning a buck came down the main trail and left 4 scrapes. Gave my nephew a report and he is going to start bow hunting soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  17. ole

ole

Todays project was not in the woods at all it was my front yard. In a couple years, four Colorado blue spruce will create a visibility issue pulling out of our drive. Today they were put on a diet. It involved a Honda, a John Deere, and a Stihl. Not physical work at all just time consuming. My little one handle saw was perfect for this task.

IMG_2843.jpeg IMG_2842.jpeg IMG_2841.jpeg

One has to keep good track of your off hand when using a top handle saw. I trailered the branch’s across the road to a cemetery I take care of and always have a burn pile. I will burn it when we get some snow.

IMG_2844.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg
    I hauled 5 loads and that Hereford bull never moved a muscle. It’s like he was frozen in place!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  18. billb3

billb3

It must be nice to have really quiet neighbors.

19. ole

ole

Ya they are real quiet. That cemetery had very poor management for about 20 years and it ended up defunct. There are lots they could sell but nobody living knows where they are. The record keeping was horrible so the state shut it down. So our town board took control of it or it would be a weed patch in no time. They don’t pay me a lot to mow it but somebody has to do it.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Handy things those top handles are. What model you running?

What do you call a sleeping cow? A bulldozer!!! :doh: :rofl: :lol: ill see my way out!